Catholic Church Gets Coronavirus Bailout Money

1 Like

Would appreciate others’ takes on this- I’ve seen it being posted on social media and am not sure what else to say. I can try to explain how “the Church” as a whole is different from individual parishes. But I also read another article which states:

“The Archdiocese of New York for example, received 15 loans worth at least $28 million just for its top executive offices. Its iconic St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Fifth Avenue was approved for at least $1 million.

A loan of at least $2 million went to the diocese covering Wheeling-Charleston, W.Va., where a church investigation revealed last year that then-Bishop Michael Bransfield embezzled funds and made sexual advances toward young priests.”

What can we say to that?

1 Like

I’m fine with it. They lobbied and got a loan. Okay.

1 Like

Is it though? What is the Church? Isn’t it the whole people of God, made up of particular people? So yes, the Church is doing this. You don’t need to defend anything. If people want to not join due to a loan, then maybe it wasn’t in their will anyway.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.