Catholic church in the Bible

Hi
I came across a tract talking about the catholic church being mentioned in the scriptures and wanted to get your oppinion of what it had to say, Thanks.

THE GREAT WHORE, THE FALSE RELIGION
(With Scripture references)

The great whore. Her teachings have left the truth and turned to many false doctrines

She has many people-Rev 17:1,15

She has many nations-Rev 17:1,15

She is a worldwide religion-Rev 17:1,15

She has people from many languages-Rev 17:1,15

Her name is written upon the forehead of the city of Rome-Rev 17:5

Her name is:
Mystery-Rev 17:5

Babylon the Great-Rev 17:5
The Mother of Harlots-Rev 17:5
And Abominations of the Earth-Rev 17:5

The kings of the earth are also a part-Rev 17:2

Kings have committed fornication with her-Rev 17:2

She has corrupted the earth with her fornication-Rev 19:2

The inhabitants of the earth have become intoxicated with her false teachings-Rev 17:2

She has been responsible for killing God’s servants-Rev 19:2

THE WOMAN, THE CITY OF ROME
The great whore is part of a great city (Rome)-Rev 17:5,18

The city sits on 7 mountains or hills-Rev 17:9

The city has a golden cup in her hand-Rev 17:4
Note the golden cup of the Catholic church
In the cup:
Abominations
Fornication

The city of Rome, drunken with the blood of the saints-Rev 17:6; 18:24

Apostles were killed in her-Rev 18:10

Prophets were killed in her-Rev 18:20,24

A trade capital-Rev 18:3,15

Her sins have reached to heaven-Rev 18:5

She is not far from the sea-Rev 18:17

Every single one of these fits the Roman Catholic church perfectly. The Roman Catholic church and the city of Rome are as one. The Roman Catholic church is the great whore. It is the modern-day extension of Mystery, Babylon the Great. It is the Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth. And it is also true that many will refuse to believe this.

Hello,

Start here:

catholic.com/library/Hunting_the_Whore_of_Babylon.asp

The Whore fits Jerusalem better, which is called adulterous in the Old Testament. The seven hills may refer to Rome, but they are more indicitive of the Beast upon which the Whore sits in Revalations. This seems to indicate western (Roman) culture. Remember that the Vatican does not sit upon one of the seven hills of Rome which are upon the east side of the Tiber River, but upon the Vatican which is on the west.

[quote=jsussvsus]THE GREAT WHORE, THE FALSE RELIGION
(With Scripture references). . . . Every single one of these fits the Roman Catholic church perfectly. The Roman Catholic church and the city of Rome are as one. The Roman Catholic church is the great whore. It is the modern-day extension of Mystery, Babylon the Great. It is the Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth. And it is also true that many will refuse to believe this.
[/quote]

Sigh. Welcome aboard. I see others have directed you to resources that address your accusation. Glad you brought it to us. We’ve heard it all before and many of us used to believe it.

A solid dose of history is the antidote to this poisonous nonsense.

It is sad that people continue to repeat the same REFUTED lies over and over again. It gets tiresome and boring. I wish just once that someone would bring us something new to try to dispute.

If the Catholic Church is not the Whore she must be the Bride and some people just don’t want to accept that.

I find it curious and a bit amusing that people will interpret the Whore of Babylon as the Catholic Church when the book of Revelation was written long before the date that these same people claim the Catholic Church existed. They’re wrong about that, of course. The Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ during his ministry on earth and came into full operation on the day of Pentecost, 33 AD.

The Apostle John wrote Revelation to give hope to persecuted Christians, especially those being persecuted by the pagan Roman Empire, which matches all the verses you cited, jsussvsus. The Christians being persecuted were very early Catholics (the word catholic meaning then as it does now, universal for the whole Body of Christ around the world). So, how can the Catholic Church, which was being persecuted by the Roman Empire possibly be the Whore of Babylon?

You apparently no nothing of history but only what Jack Chick and his type of virulent anti-Catholics claim to know, whose “knowledge” is bogus and their animus for Christ’s true Church diabolical. You need to do some reading from Catholic sources, which do not lie and have no reason to. Or, if you won’t take Catholics’ own word for what their own Church believes and practices, read non-bias, secular history which has no axe to grind. You will find it agrees with Catholic understanding of history much more closely than Jack Chick or Lorraine Boettner (and yes we know who they are and the kind of hatred they spew against Christ’s one, holy, catholic, and apostolic Church).

[quote=jsussvsus]Hi
I came across a tract talking about the catholic church being mentioned in the scriptures and wanted to get your oppinion of what it had to say, Thanks.

THE GREAT WHORE, THE FALSE RELIGION
(With Scripture references)

The great whore. Her teachings have left the truth and turned to many false doctrines

She has many people-Rev 17:1,15

She has many nations-Rev 17:1,15

She is a worldwide religion-Rev 17:1,15

She has people from many languages-Rev 17:1,15

Her name is written upon the forehead of the city of Rome-Rev 17:5

Her name is:
Mystery-Rev 17:5

Babylon the Great-Rev 17:5
The Mother of Harlots-Rev 17:5
And Abominations of the Earth-Rev 17:5

The kings of the earth are also a part-Rev 17:2

Kings have committed fornication with her-Rev 17:2

She has corrupted the earth with her fornication-Rev 19:2

The inhabitants of the earth have become intoxicated with her false teachings-Rev 17:2

She has been responsible for killing God’s servants-Rev 19:2

THE WOMAN, THE CITY OF ROME
The great whore is part of a great city (Rome)-Rev 17:5,18

The city sits on 7 mountains or hills-Rev 17:9

The city has a golden cup in her hand-Rev 17:4
Note the golden cup of the Catholic church
In the cup:
Abominations
Fornication

The city of Rome, drunken with the blood of the saints-Rev 17:6; 18:24

Apostles were killed in her-Rev 18:10

Prophets were killed in her-Rev 18:20,24

A trade capital-Rev 18:3,15

Her sins have reached to heaven-Rev 18:5

She is not far from the sea-Rev 18:17

Every single one of these fits the Roman Catholic church perfectly. The Roman Catholic church and the city of Rome are as one. The Roman Catholic church is the great whore. It is the modern-day extension of Mystery, Babylon the Great. It is the Mother of Harlots and Abominations of the Earth. And it is also true that many will refuse to believe this.
[/quote]

Are you having fun, jsussvsus?

My guess is jssvsus will be a hit and run poster. I hope not. I like his bold style, though the content of his posts are full or holes. You all have done an admirable job of showing that.

Hello drive-by poster!

Your moonbat friends also think Mickey Mouse is satanic.

Catholics: this is what protestantism has led to. The reformation was a grotesque mistake.

This is pretty stupid. A lot of these could apply to any city in the world. Much fluff to make the list longer.

Apostles were killed in her-Rev 18:10 Many options here.
Prophets were killed in her-Rev 18:20,24 How many prophets were killed in Rome? I thought it was more of a Jewish thing.
A trade capital-Rev 18:3,15 That could even be New York!
Her sins have reached to heaven-Rev 18:5 Can’t prove that it’s any specific city. Could be anywhere.
She is not far from the sea-Rev 18:17 'nuff said.

This whole thing makes me laugh. The big bad Catholics, taking over the whole world. We all know how the world leaders of today are under the control of the Catholics and are promoting their errors. :rolleyes: Of course Catholicism is the only religion that has members in different countries. :wink: Think about the “true religion”. Do you honestly think God would have his religion in only one country? Don’t you think He would want it to spread throughout the world? Didn’t He say to “teach all nations”? C’mon here.

Just look at the legacy of the Catholic Church. We should see a clear picture of the evil spread by the Catholics, er, Romanists. We don’t, though. Instead we have the Catholic Church defending us from heresies, going as missionaries to far off countries, having charities, calling for peace during war, saving Jews during the Holocaust. We have Catholicism stedfastly declaring that abortion in all cases is wrong, that contraception is wrong. How many Protestant churches say that?

Just look at all the Catholic martyrs. How are these explained? The Catholic missionaries killed in the jungles, the Catholics killed in Germany, and the USSR, and China. How is the Church “drunk with the blood of martyrs”? Her own martyrs? It just doesn’t make sense. Nobody honestly looking for the truth would read Revelation and say,“That sounds like those darn Catholics.” Only somebody with a preconcieved set of ideas trying to justify their opinion with Scripture would do that.

Okay, my rant is over. I just don’t understand how anyone can actually believe that.

jsussvsus won’t try to defened what he/she posted, because what was posted is anti-Catholic and that’s all it is. I wish he/she would come back and take a beating from all of you. :mad:

[quote=On my way]jsussvsus won’t try to defened what he/she posted, because what was posted is anti-Catholic and that’s all it is. I wish he/she would come back and take a beating from all of you. :mad:
[/quote]

Beating in a figurative sense of course. :wink:

[quote=thessalonian]Beating in a figurative sense of course. :wink:
[/quote]

Of course. How about educational beating. :thumbsup:

[quote=jsussvsus]Hi
[/quote]

Hmmm, and what kind of tract could that have been :rolleyes: ? Please tell me you haven’t accepted Jack Chick as your personal lord and savior.

I don’t even try to deal with Fundamentalists anymore… I know one who rejects the “kepha” argument because she says Jesus spoke in Hebrew, not Aramaic (!) and made some insane comments about the Greek grammar of Matthew 16:18…

Me:

Anna, I notice that several times you’ve made comments on Coffee__Pot’s xanga about Catholicism, I responded, and you did not respond. While this would not normally trouble me, you have set up your own xanga partly as a deposition of Catholicism. As such, I think it is intellectually dishonest to not discuss the issues with a Catholic. In your post “Catholicism the Cult,” you say that you had not had counter-arguments set against your arguments until that point. Several times now I have offered counter-arguments, and I’m going to offer one again.

If you wish to challenge Catholicism, let one of its adherents attempt to answer those charges. Otherwise, it’s empty talk. I extend an invitation to you to debate the greatest principle of Protestantism: sola scriptura. Please let me know if you accept to propugnatorfidei@gmail.com, or my xanga.

Her: I never return to a comment section after leaving a comment - I figure if someone wants to talk to me, they know where to find me. ((That’s the purpose of RYC’s, btw.)) If you commented on my comments there and didn’t let me know, I simply didn’t see it. ((?!!)) That’s not a snub… that’s reality. Get over your bad self, bristle-boy. I don’t like your attitude already, and have NO desire to spar with you because of your not-so-winning disposition. ((smiles prettily)) Another approach may have behooved you better.

Second, 2 John states clearly that if someone delcares a Gospel other than that in the scriptures, (not the Latin BS embellished with catechism) I’m not to mess with them. I’ve visited your site before - you’re antagonistic, argue with everyone under the sun without saying anything profound or convicting, and I have no pressing urge to bother with that ****… I have a life, and it’d be a pity to waste it. Besides, it’s against my beliefs, per the above scripture. Sorry, Charlie.

Third… I don’t email. Ask anyone here, even my closest Xanga aquaintances - the Spirit would REALLY have to move, or send me a message to convey for me to do such a thing. The cases of that are few and far between. Same with YIM… I’m never there, never even turn it on… unless the Spirit moves. And… sorry, He’s not. My give-a-damn’s busted on this one. Why? Three reasons above. Three strikes and you’re out. O.U.T. Take your attitude and mouse arrow to the nearest X-it, dude.

Me: I’m sorry, I was not aware of your policy regarding comments. I retract my statement about intellectual dishonesty with an apology.

[Anna did not reply]

They make insane comments, and when you try to get them to back them up they act like that.

Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age." - Matthew 28:19-20

So is your tract accusing Jesus of creating the “Whore of Babylon”? How can you believe ANYTHING ELSE this guy preaches if he preaches this???

NotWorthy

That’s pretty terrible. Surely if you felt this way about the Catholic Church, then you wouldn’t mind defending your beliefs! I don’t understand… I always try and see the best in people, but I simply can’t see any good in what these people (the ones who spread such lies) are doing.

I’m sadenned that you said “many will still not believe in this.” I not only believed it, I preached it, shared it with others, condeming the Cartholic Church over years of my life. Now, after all these years, I have finally seen how wrong I was. I interpreted Rev. 17 as you do, but never cared to read the Catholic challenge to my interpretation. Sadly… I was so profoundly mistaken. The Catholic Church is not Babylon, and I was fighting against God’s true church. ** I reject your arguments, not because I won’t believe them, but because I already believed them, and now regret ever having fought against Christ’s precious Bride. **

If you want to really enter into a deep discusion on this subject, all of us are ready, especially those of us who once held such an interpretation of Rev. 17. But first, we ask you to interact with the material we have already written on the sbject, especially the two articles on Catholic.com, one of which was already referenced. Read them, and challenge them if you will, we’ll be glad to answer any remainding questons.

In Christian love,
+Hugo

[quote=adventistnomore]I’m sadenned that you said “many will still not believe in this.” I not only believed it, I preached it, shared it with others, condeming the Cartholic Church over years of my life. Now, after all these years, I have finally seen how wrong I was. I interpreted Rev. 17 as you do, but never cared to read the Catholic challenge to my interpretation. Sadly… I was so profoundly mistaken. The Catholic Church is not Babylon, and I was fighting against God’s true church. **I reject your arguments, not because I won’t believe them, but because I already believed them, and now regret ever having fought against Christ’s precious Bride. **

If you want to really enter into a deep discusion on this subject, all of us are ready, especially those of us who once held such an interpretation of Rev. 17. But first, we ask you to interact with the material we have already written on the sbject, especially the two articles on Catholic.com, one of which was already referenced. Read them, and challenge them if you will, we’ll be glad to answer any remainding questons.

In Christian love,
+Hugo
[/quote]

You sign your post as a bishop. Are you?

Thanks to all who participated in this discussion.
This thread is now closed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.