Catholic Church on Red Tomatoes on the discovery Channel

A friend of mine watched a documentary on Fried Green Tomatoes on the discovery channel, and said that on there they were talking about how the Catholic Church said that Red Tomatoes was an aphrodisiac. He said that the church decreed that you were not a good Catholic if you didn’t refrain from eating Red Tomatoes, which is how the recipie for the famous FRIED GREEN TOMATOES came about. I have been unable to find anything on this and wonder if anyone has information about this.

To me, it seems absurd that the Catholic Church would make such a non-sensical decree.

I personally wouldn’t trust it.

Hello

Seems to me this is a Joke, big wind up, or a great misunderstanding.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

Whenever I hear this kind of nonsense I always ask for a specific reference: what encyclical or council said it, when, and in what document?

They always come up empty.

Ahh, so that explains the sexual revolution!

It was the great Red Tomato conspiracy, no doubt propagated by the Illuminati in conjunction with the Priory of Sion.

I am not finding any confirmation that they were banned by the Catholic Church with anything but out of the blue statements. It is true they were considered an aprophdisaic as they were believed to be related to the mandrake or Duradim in Hebrew which means love apples. Nobody has an official source for the banning that I can find. I suppose there may have been a priest or bishop somewhere that forbid them.

[quote=Superstar905]A friend of mine watched a documentary on Fried Green Tomatoes on the discovery channel, and said that on there they were talking about how the Catholic Church said that Red Tomatoes was an aphrodisiac. He said that the church decreed that you were not a good Catholic if you didn’t refrain from eating Red Tomatoes, which is how the recipie for the famous FRIED GREEN TOMATOES came about. I have been unable to find anything on this and wonder if anyone has information about this.

To me, it seems absurd that the Catholic Church would make such a non-sensical decree.
[/quote]

The Catholic Church makes no restrictions on what we eat other than meat on Fridays in Lent. This doesn’t even sound close to anything we would hear from our Church. Secondly, the Vatican is surrounded by heretics if that’s true - My goodness how many different shapes of pasta did the Italians come up with to garnish with RED TOMATO sauce? Besides why would the Church teach against eating “aphrodisiacs”?

I thought so, I can’t find even the slightest reference to this anywhere…typical american television I suppose.

it is my understanding tha tomatoes were originally considered to be poisonous, being members of the nightshade family, nightshade of course being a deadly poison. however potatoes and chiles are also nightshades.

Why do you think Catholics have such large families?

[quote=dsproule]Why do you think Catholics have such large families?
[/quote]

…Especially Italian Catholics (tomato lovers all) and Irish Catholics (potatoes rule)! Since both are members of the nightshade family…

That never happened to me when I ate a tomato :nope:

[quote=Lillith]That never happened to me when I ate a tomato :nope:
[/quote]

Perhaps you are genetically immune.

This opens the possibility of a dietary cure for concupiscience. I’m excited! (And I mean that in a good way–having eaten no tomatoes today.)

Well, gee. I’m gonna go right out and get me a dozen!

[quote=MarilynIN]…Especially Italian Catholics (tomato lovers all) and Irish Catholics (potatoes rule)! Since both are members of the nightshade family…
[/quote]

mmmmmm, a big baked potato with butter and sour cream is the best.

But now for the ultimate question. Maybe this should be one of those poll questions. Is the tomato a fruit-----or is it a vegetable???

[quote=Subrosa]Well, gee. I’m gonna go right out and get me a dozen!
[/quote]

Now just look at yourself.

You make us humans look like we haven’t grown up since Adam, and that we’re all childish. Just tell us we can’t have something and look what happens. :whistle:

(Oh, and one more thing – I just bought some tomatoes yesterday so eat your heart out. :smiley: )

Alan

We as Catholics are called to not eat meat (abstinence) on every Friday of the year, however, in the United States the conference of Bishops has determined that as a substitute for abstinence on Fridays we may do another form of penance.

[quote=] CHAPTER II : DAYS OF PENANCE

Can. 1249 All Christ’s faithful are obliged by divine law, each in his or her own way, to do penance. However, so that all may be joined together in a certain common practice of penance, days of penance are prescribed. On these days the faithful are in a special manner to devote themselves to prayer, to engage in works of piety and charity, and to deny themselves, by fulfilling their obligations more faithfully and especially by observing the fast and abstinence which the following canons prescribe.

Can. 1250 The days and times of penance for the universal Church are **each Friday of the whole year ** and the season of Lent.

Can. 1251 Abstinence from meat, or from some other food as determined by the Episcopal Conference, is to be observed on all Fridays, unless a solemnity should fall on a Friday. Abstinence and fasting are to be observed on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday.

Can. 1252 The law of abstinence binds those who have completed their fourteenth year. The law of fasting binds those who have attained their majority, until the beginning of their sixtieth year. Pastors of souls and parents are to ensure that even those who by reason of their age are not bound by the law of fasting and abstinence, are taught the true meaning of penance.

Can. 1253 The Episcopal Conference can determine more particular ways in which fasting and abstinence are to be observed. In place of abstinence or fasting it can substitute, in whole or in part, other forms of penance, especially works of charity and exercises of piety .
[/quote]

Charity or piety.

I guess that means I can fast from tomatoes.

Or it means I can help give tomatoes to poor people.

Alan

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.