Catholic church policy of just war

Jesus never advocated war,just or otherwise.the Catholic Church did.Why?The pope along with the Majesterium have the right to make such policies I believe however would the Church been able to survive if it didn’t?the Church was always having to hide from persecutions.As soon as a certain group or Church became openly proclaiming they would be killed.

The Catholic Church has no control over the governments of the world today. What the govenments of the world do is line themselves in a Moral aspect with a religion.

Catholic Church has no war policy. Its doesn’t advocate Killing. On the contrary it advocates World Peace. The Catholic Church aligns itself financially with the most Moral way of life on earth till Christs Kingdom is world wide here. And I’m sure by just looking at the World it must be very difficult to admit the West has the corner on “Morals” locked down. The choices must be very difficult for the Church in this time.

God Bless, Gary

Quote: Jesus never advocated war,just or otherwise.the Catholic Church did.Why?The pope along with the Majesterium have the right to make such policies I believe however would the Church been able to survive if it didn’t?the Church was always having to hide from persecutions.As soon as a certain group or Church became openly proclaiming they would be killed.

Quote: Catholic Church has no war policy. Its doesn’t advocate Killing.

The Catechism of the Catholic Church talks about the Church’s teaching about war in the
chapter about the 5th commandment. Sections 2307 thru 2317 set forth the conditions under which war is permissable - the “just war” doctrine among other things.

This article from EWTN notes the Church’s teaching on Just War, as taken from the Catechism of the Catholic Church. This should make things clearer.

Section 2308 states, " as long as the danger of war persists…governments cannot be denied the right of lawful self defense once all peace efforts have failed."

I am unaware of any time when the Catholic Church advocated war. I’m not trying to challenge, just wondering if there was a time when the Church advocated in favor of war.

I am aware of the Ottomon Empire’s attempts to sieze Europe during the late middle-ages and the fact that the pope did bless departing troops from secular nations as they went to defend pilgrims to the holy land during what are commonly known as the Crusades.

The doctrine of a just war is not the same becoming an advocate in favor of war and I still don’t know of any time in which the Catholic Church advocated war.

-Tim-

Are you saying that the Church doesn’t tell soldiers its alright to go to war for your country?It advocates killing in self defense.Where in the bible does Jesus give a hint that you can kill in self defense?

There seems to be a difference between sanctioning and advocating.the Pope sanctioned the crusades did he not?

Right.The Church takes the stance that you can go to war.Where did Jesus ever hint that it was right to fight in war in self defense or to in self defense of your wife?Now I realize the Church has the authority to say this and it can be followed but where is this hinted at in scriptures?

I read the article.It states:the use of force to obtain justice is morally licit in itself.But how does the Church derive at that?Where is scripture does this come from or what passages are read as a whole that make this statement true?

Jesus suggested to His disciples that they sell their cloaks if necessary to obtain a sword in the Gospel of Luke:

He said to them, "When I sent you out without purse or haversack or sandals, were you short of anything? “No,” they said. He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it; if you have a haversack, so the same; if you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one, because I tell you these words of scripture have to be fulfilled in me: He let himself be taken for a criminal. Yes, what scripture says about me is even now reaching its fulfillment.” “Lord,” they said, “there are two swords here now.” He said to them, “That is enough!”

source: Luke 22:35-38

Im saying the Church doesn’t have an Army. And have you ever heard the Pope do anything or say anything which promotes killing?

The fact is we have seperation of church and state worldwide and a perpetual state of war for the last 6000 years. Never has the threat of war not loomed over mankind. The way to Gods will and to World Peace has been given to the Catholic Church.

The moral compass the CC has provided for mankind is a known through history. There is a continued war of good and evil on earth which is Biblical. There is war in the second coming of Jesus Christ in Revelations. He is coming to wage war this time.

The fact that the Chuch become caught up in the mess with Governments is all known and Biblical. And the Church as been given the way to World Peace through God. Its just a matter of time. And without God working on our time, its difficult to say when this period will come.

Are you suggesting that Christian Countrys worldwide should submit to mans rule of slavery through diabolical schemes. like Russia’s new order to stop feeding the poor? Or sharia law of Islam?

What are you saying?

God Bless, Gary

How can you defend your self in case of danger? Or will you just let the enemies kill you, and enslave you without resistance?

In Scripture, St. Paul said do not cross your arms in the face of evil. Christ said turn “your” cheek.Not your mothers or your sisters. It would be cowardly and imoral not to defend the innocents of society. The same reasoning allows for the death penalty, and by the way it is a Teaching not a policy. The Peace of Christ, Rich

Large military action is based on small individual stituations. What do you suppose you should do as a Christian when you walk into a situation of a man violently abusing another? Ignore it?

Really its more of a philosophy issue on morals and Christianity in general as well as Judaism. Do you help an elder cross the street, open a door for them?

War is the price of mans Sin. There’s a Biblical solution as well as comfirmation of it through the mystics and prophets of Judaism and Christianity.

Why was Israel and the Temple destroyed twice in the OT never mind the NT? Because they did not completely follow the word of God. The price of that is War. And the continued ignorance of the Word of God is bondage. Egypt, Babylon, Rome etc.

Those who can’t remember the past are condemned to repeat it. We live by the moment by the Mercy of God and in complete submission to the will of God. And that submission includes the Holy Family and the Communion of Saints.

God Bless, Gary

I think the Church accepts the necessity of war in certain situations, as it accepts that free will allows evil in the world.

When I looked at what Scripture tells us about Jesus, I never found that He argued against attacks on Himself. His defense was always of others.

Scripture tells of much fighting and war. We have an example in the story of the fight of the good angels led by Michael driving Satan and his followers from heaven. Whether you accept that story as abolutely historical or as allegorical, I believe it shows that there will be struggles between good and evil on the earth. The problem is that sometimes men have trouble discerning what is worth fighting for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.