Catholic Church Sex Abuse Scandal Is Demonic, Likely to Get Worse: Leading U.S. Exorcist

“By sexually abusing children, Satan desires to destroy the icon of the kingdom of God. He wants to destroy the most innocent version of humanity, which is the child.”

'Father Thomas encouraged Catholics to be strong and be prepared to persevere. ‘We are in for a long storm,’ he said. ‘The clouds are just starting. However, our primary concern must be the victims who have been violated and firmly and without doubt prevent new victimizations from taking place in the future. There can be no tolerance for sexual misconduct perpetrated by clergy or lay people within the Church now or ever again.’” (from his remarks in article, “How to Recognize Demonic Activity in the Church Scandals, According to an Exorcist.” in “National Catholic Register,” September 5, 2018)

Speaking of demonic, it looks like Pope Francis is now going full bore with his claim that Satan is behind all the attacks now going on. As reported in the National Catholic Reporter, "the great accuser “seeks to reveal sins, which people can see, in order to scandalize the people” of God, he said in his homily during morning Mass at Domus Sanctae Marthae.

Okay, I can buy that, but there is no excuse for the Church not to hold a no holds barred investigation of the whole matter, especially around the charge that the highest authorities in the Church covered up the misdeeds of a Cardinal. The days of sweeping things under the rug are over!

He’s right. I don’t see the seemingly innate resistance of many to blaming, for anything, the one creature who has been striving since his creation to destroy God’s Church, the ancient enemy of man. Ignoring him is the danger of the age. He’s working daily for our fall. And unless we pray, fast and do penance, he may well triumph.

I call foul. He claims that what happened was otherworldly. I wish. Many people who have been sexually abused outside the Church can tell him just how WORLDLY this behavior is. The fact that it happens in the Church too doesn’t put any different spin on it or mean that it’s any more demonic than when it happens, every single day to people all over the world in all walks of life.

It’s the same bad behavior for the same selfish motives, the same garbage that is peddled in and out throughout human history. I honestly think the worst thing the Catholic Church can do is to pretend this is something special, some mystical attack, some demonic activity, or whatever.

It’s people behaving badly. End of story. Address it, but don’t try to dress it up, spin it and reconfigure it to make the Church appear to be some kind of victim, martyr or sacrificial lamb to the slaughter.

Rape is rape no matter where it happens or who is the perpetrator.

well yes, its a no brainer, its not going to get worse, Its being addressed.

Its no different to any sexual sin anyone in the Church is committing, be they laity or religious.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Just seems like trying to deflect away from the real culprits and those that , hid, covered up, and otherwise enabled them.

Of course. He is the tempter, the destroyer, the liar and the enemy. Sins do not come from God but from the temptation and the trickery of the Evil One.

I accept it in that there could have been clergy knowingly and wilfully cooperating with something very evil and in service of something very evil. And in such a case I view the abusers as still being 100% to blame.

Though I would say that I don’t blame the scandals on just one specific thing. People are arguing over what’s to blame but I believe multiple issues are at play.

I think this ^ is what Fr Thomas is saying.

Omnis enim qui male agit, odit lucem, et non venit ad lucem, ut non arguantur opera ejus
Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.

“It is better that scandals arise than the truth be suppressed.”
— St. Gregory the Great,

I see, so if Pope Francis did indeed give a pass to Cardinal McCarrick that is somehow okay and should be ignored?

It depends on what you mean by culpability. Legal culpability is not affected at all. Moral culpability is determined by God alone. We are not to speculate on that by command of Jesus.

But there is no doubt that demons operate and operate without possession. The work best through our own weakness. In the end, our freewill allows us to follow their prompting or seek the grace of God.

Well those who are culpable are not admitting anything and still holding on to cushy jobs. Resignation my foot.

Well…I agree with him in that the victims should be first. We have ignored them/brushed them aside for too long. Reparation is in order first, I would say.

Next, we do have free will. Drat free will I say…but, this free will is what makes us listen to good advice or evil advice. If we choose to listen to evil, then our actions are on us.

A different matter would be demonic possession I think, as in this case, I believe free will has been annulled, but I do not think this is the case. This is a question of humans choosing to do bad rather than good.

Common sense seems to be lacking.

Posts like this one make we with that there were a stronger like option than that little heart button. @Calliope, you . . .

Nailed%20it

Pope Francis is summoning the presidents of every bishops conference around the world for a February summit to discuss preventing clergy sex abuse and protecting children.

Francis’ key cardinal advisers announced the decision on Wednesday, as the latest chapter in the Catholic Church’s long-running sex abuse and cover-up scandal has thrown Francis’ papacy into crisis.

The February 21-24 meeting is believed to be the first of its kind, and signals a realisation at the highest levels of the church that clergy sex abuse is a global problem and not restricted to the Anglo-Saxon world, as many church leaders have long insisted.

I just posted this thread in the moral apologetics forum

The other possibility is that Satan is operating anywhere, as taught in Scripture (Ephesians 6)

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms

This article is of extreme significance, for the call for the Christian extends beyond programs for prevention. Yes, that is a part of what we must do, but it is not the greatest part. Spiritual battle is not a last resort, but the greatest resource.

Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15 and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16 In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17 Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

And having done that, we do battle, as in:

18 And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.

This speaks of abusers who are greatly influenced in what they do by Satan. Such people are people of horror. It doesn’t exonerate them.

Father Thomas has been watching too many old Flip Wilson clips.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.