Catholic Church to Ordain Married Father of Three

Its wonderful to see these men joining the Catholic Church -

newsmax.com/newswidget/catholic-priest-children-ny/2013/01/24/id/472793/?promo_code=F265-1&utm_source=Catholic&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

[quote="Petersmate, post:1, topic:312685"]
Its wonderful to see these men joining the Catholic Church

[/quote]

this is great, but I am confused..

"because of a recent papal ruling by Pope Benedict." ?? How recent?

I thought this was the case years ago, since I know of some of Anglican now Catholic Priests (and fathers) from years ago.

Whenever this happens, I always wonder how it makes other men feel who have given up marriage and children in order to become Priests.

It's not just former Anglicans and Episcopalians either. There are a few cases of former Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, and one Baptist.

Hmmm.... I hope maybe they start allowing priests to be married in the first place. Not in my lifetime I think.

I agree. It seems more sacrificial giving up everything to be a priest.

It seems the writer of the article has a rather superficial knowledge of the Church...

From the article: "I look forward to celebrating Mass again." (the future priests)

But he never even celebrated Mass in the first place. The Holy Orders he received from his Episcopal "bishop" were not valid.

[quote="Seeker1961, post:4, topic:312685"]
Whenever this happens, I always wonder how it makes other men feel who have given up marriage and children in order to become Priests.

[/quote]

I won't mind it. It has been the norm in the Eastern Rites since the beginning. If anything, I feel bad that their family will have to be the "preacher's family." I couldn't imagine the pressures and challenges.

I think if celibate priests get jealous of these men, they shouldn't have become celibate priests in the first place.

[quote="DavidSears, post:6, topic:312685"]
Hmmm.... I hope maybe they start allowing priests to be married in the first place. Not in my lifetime I think.

[/quote]

The Church does. But celibacy is the discipline in the Latin Rite. And, at least in my opinion, with good reason. Though possible, I can pretty much guarantee that the Latin Rite won't abandon the discipline. Ever.

In a way, the family is a sacrifice, no? By way of pressures and challenges?
I don’t think it will be abandoned, but is the call to priesthood separate from the call to celibacy?

The man is in his sixties, he has adult children, it's not like he is a young father with pre-schoolers at home.

He was apparently a clergyman in the Episcopal church for 20 years (that sentence of the article was not well-written). I assume he had extensive education prior to becoming Catholic, and he will have gone through testing and training in order to be ordained.

I trust the Church to make the right decision here. God bless this man and the other 29 men who will be ordained.

Our diocese did this a few years ago with Fr. Doug Grandon.

He was also featured on The Journey Home. Very inspiring.

when was he on the journey home is there a copy of the program on you tube or ewtn web site**

[quote="twopekinguys, post:3, topic:312685"]

[/quote]

do you know if that episode of the Journey home is on you tube or ewtn web site

As a Roman Rite deacon’s son, I tell you - the hardest part is dealing with people’s unrealistic expectations of one. The DSP and the Dominican Sisters were about the hardest. They kept pressing me with the question, “When do we send you to the seminary?”

I warn other deacon’s sons of this effect. It’s still there - even now, I get it from some people. I’m now the age Dad was when he was ordained. I have no desire to be a Roman deacon, and feel no call to it. My vocation is as a parent, husband, and byzantine.

What are sometimes called “High Church Anglicans” do, in fact, call their main worship service “Mass.” We do not recognize the validity of their Orders or communion, but the fact remains that they do use that term.

Thank you, he is a wonderful man ,great story and may the Lord bless us with many more just like him
[/quote]

Not sure how I feel about married priests in the Latin rite. I believe that celibacy has been decided upon for a good reason. I hope it stays that way.

[quote="Contra_Mundum, post:17, topic:312685"]
Not sure how I feel about married priests in the Latin rite. I believe that celibacy has been decided upon for a good reason. I hope it stays that way.

[/quote]

The reason it was made the norm was primarily one of inheritance of parishes... with the more nuanced civil property laws, that is no longer a valid reason.

closed #19

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.