Catholic Church wrong in their teachings?

Since telling my family and friends that I have decided to join the Catholic church, all I hear is that the Catholic church is wrong and all their teachings are wrong. These are the main issues Baptists (as I was raised) and Protestants have with the church:

1.Infant baptism
2.ONE baptism and not one every time you think you need it
3.Confesson to a priest
4.so-called "Virgin Mary and saint worship"
5.drinking
6.the Pope
7.the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary

-and about 100 other things I could list but I dont have the time!!

My point is that I have tried to explain to them why the Catholic church believes what it does and why its right by using dozens of scriptures to back me up, but all they want to do is argue and use like 1 or 2 scriptures to disprove me. Personally, growing up Baptist I never felt like the faith I was in was right because I dont think the Lord wants us to come to church to talk about “every one elses sins” and that “so and so doesnt believe what I do” and “who’s winning the game right now” and judging people as they walk through the door(Sorry, 27 years of frustration coming out!!! :wink: ) . Instead, I think he wants us to be there to better your relationship with God. Every time I see my Mom she wants to argue and tell me she’s praying that God will lead me in the “right” direction (the way she believes, of course). My dad is a Baptist preacher and he wont say anything to me about it, which is kinda strange. My question is, what in world can I do break them out of their shell? Shouldn’t they be happy that I’m getting back in Church and realizing what really is important? To them it’s like I’m joining another religion and believing in another God or something. What can I do? God bless.

First, welcome to the forums, ukdal1! yeahhh! :slight_smile:

It is not easy to convince those to believe what you have come to believe. The best thing you can do at this point besides explaining to them the Catholic faith are to love your family more and to pray a lot for them. Believe in the power of prayers!

As for your father, perhaps he is confused - your conversion to Catholic gives him so thoughts and he is not so sure what to think. I would say just pray for him at this point.

If you try to explain to them and all you get is ‘Catholic is wrong’, let them explain, then you will just gently tell them what Catholic faith is truly about.

Living a good life as a Christian, praying for them to see what God has allowed to see, some day they will believe.

For yourself, be strong knowing that the Holy Spirit has lead you to the Church.

God bless you and your family.

Jesus.

He’s the most important thing all Christians have in common, and He is the most important person (and true God) in the universe. Focus on Him.

Your parents want what’s best for you. Your Dad probably expects you to “come round” sooner or later and that’s why he isn’t saying anything. If they see you have a strong faith in Jesus and a personal relationship with Him, at least they’ll believe you’re “saved” and they’ll be less worried you’re going to hell. If they see that being Catholic isn’t interfering with your relationship with Jesus, but deepening it, then maybe they’ll be more willing to discuss doctrine rationally. Until then, you could just say that you don’t want to argue and suggest you pray together that Jesus leads you and them to where He wants you all.

And I don’t see what the problem is with confessing to a priest… James 5:16 tells us to confess our sins to one another and as far as I know, a priest is another person and you’re doing what the Bible says you should do.

All the best

Thats what I told my Mom, that she would see a difference in me. All the things that I believe that made me want to convert, those are the things I try to explain them, but it doesnt seem to matter. The list I wrote out earlier are the things that I fully agree with the Church , but I guess it’s such a shock to them they just cant believe it. Thanks for the advice. God bless.

Everything you have said probably is not matter to them at this point, and I personally don’t expect that from them either. You are right - it is a shock to them. ukdal1, be patient with them and have faith in God that someday - even it takes 10, 20, 30 or even longer for them to believe what you believe now, just be patient and pray a lot.

Yes, show her what you meant - changes in you.

besides this forum, you can visit here also:
chnetwork.org/forums/

The purpose of The Coming Home Network International (CHNetwork) is to provide fellowship, encouragement and support for pastors and laymen of other traditions (Protestant, Orthodox, etc…) who are somewhere along the journey or have already converted to the Catholic Church. The CHNetwork is committed to assisting and standing beside all inquirers, serving as a friend and an advocate.

God bless you!

Good for you. You were able to learn these things because you kept your heart and mind open. These are easy to answer and I guess you did.

1.Infant baptism : where in the bible does it say you must be a certain age? Also, where in the bible is infant baptism forbidden?

2.ONE baptism and not one every time you think you need it. Where in the bible does it say to be baptized more than once?

3.Confesson to a priest. The bible does not forbid this either. In fact, since the Apostles were given the power to forgive sins they had to know what sins were committed. Jesus, being God already knew.

4.so-called “Virgin Mary and saint worship” In Catholic teaching this is forbidden. They may believe that Catholics do this but they are wrong. Ask them if they have ever asked a Catholic if he worships Mary and the Saints? They have never read the teachings of the Catholic Church so how can they know what Catholics teach and do.

5.drinking . Again, where in the bible is drinking forbidden? Did not Jesus make wine? Did not he and the Apostles drink wine at the Last Supper? Drinking is not forbidden, but drunkenness is. Did they know that the bible says “drink a little wine for thy stomach’s sake .” I bet they don’t know their bible very well.

6.the Pope. Now what could be the problem with the Pope? The most holy man in the world, loves the bible, loves people, loves Jesus, and loves his Church. What’s wrong with that? Is it because he is head of the largest Christian Church in the world? Do they have a problem with a single person being head of an organization? If so they have a problem with the head of state of every nation in the world.

7.the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary. I don’t know why they have a problem with this. Free of sin, Mary gave life to Jesus. Should he have been born by a whore? Ask them if they know of anyone in the bible that received the Holy Spirit while they were still in the womb? Do they know their bible well enough to answer this? The answer is John the Baptist. If he can receive the Holy Spirit while in the womb don’t they think the Mother of God can be conceived immaculately?

Outstanding comment! Focusing on what we have in common with non-Catholics is important, and can be the first step to bridging the gulf.

I think it’s important to remember that parents teach us what they believe because they believe it. As has been said, they want (in most cases) what’s best for their children, and, unfortunately, many NCs believe that our church is the antithesis of that. There’s a reason they’re called PROTESTants. :slight_smile:

I don’t mean to belittle your family or NCs in any way. I merely am saying that their concern is real and exacerbated by their all-too-human desire to have been “good parents” and “good Christians” whose children became what they were supposed to be.

Start with the prayers for Jesus to lead you all where you’re supposed to go, and make it clear that you would prefer not to argue. Remember that their love for you is their primary motivation.

Hang in there!

Peace,
Dante

I’ve argued these points many times with non-Catholics, and their arguments are not always so easily defeated.

Re: Mary/saints: They may perceive our veneration as an act of worship; even though we make a distiction, they may not see that there is one.

Re: Drinking: I’ve actually been told that some NCs believe that, when the Bible mentions wine, the beverage is closer to grape juice than what we’d consider wine. Clearly not a historically sound argument, but…

[Edit: Furthermore, it’s usually a safe assumption that your average Protestant is at least somewhat more familiar with Scripture than your average Catholic! :)]

Re: Immaculte conception: This one they often cannot get past, because the doctrine a) is extrapolated from Scripture and not explicitly stated, and b) is the result of an ex cathedra statement by a (shudder) Pope.

My point here is that it is fruitless, in many cases, to argue with people who are starting from the assumption that you are wrong. They want you to be wrong, and, as is presumably the case here, have a large support network reinforcing their belief that you are wrong.

I think it’s best to save the apologetics for a later time, when, after seeing you grow in your relationship with Christ, they are curious, rather than skeptical.

Peace,
Dante

Is the Catholic Church wrong in HER teachings? :stuck_out_tongue: (Sorry, that’s one of the reasons I read this thread, that was sort of irking me. It doesn’t sound grammatically correct to me, and that’s a pet peeve).

No! But of course you’ve already realized that. :thumbsup:

Other than what the others have posted, I have to say, your mother’s prayers may just be driving you deeper into the Church. I had a friend who was a Jehovah’s Witness and after I decided to convert to Catholicism I found out he’d been praying for me. I always wondered if he’d been praying that I’d “discover the truth”, because if so, I did. It just wasn’t what he thought it was.

I agree with the others. Live a Christian life. If you want to drink, and are of the age to do so, go ahead. Just don’t do it around your parents. I don’t mean hide it, just if it comes up acknowledge that you know they don’t appreciate it, so you won’t do it in their presence. If you have children, get them baptised, but invite your parents. Be friendly and helpful and everything a Christian should. If nothing else they may decide you’re one of those absurd anomalies - a Christian Catholic. Then you can move on to showing how all Catholics (who follow HMC’s teachings) are Christian.

“Preach the gospel always. Use words if necessary” - St. Francis of Assisi (paraphrased).

Good luck and God Bless.

where did the Baptists get their bible?

I believe the Catholic Church for over 1000 years there was only one Christian Church and that was the Catholic Church. History is hard to swallow.

Christ’s first miracle was water to wine not grape juice and he did partake. Christ cannot sin so is wine now a sin?

Literal Bible teachings are if you eat my body and drink my blood you will have etrnal life. If you do not eat my body and drink my blood you shall have no life within you.

This was taught several time by Jesus and many followers at the time left as they also knew this passage was meant literally so why do the Baptist not believe in transubstansiation. the bread and wine being the body, blood, soul, and divinty of Christ tranferrred in the Mass as Christ taught the Apostles to do in remembrance of Him.

Baptists say things taught in the catholic church does not come out of the bible is wrong. Baptist do believe in the Holy Trinity as Catholics please find that in the bible.

Jesus states to the Apostles in the Bible those sins you forgive are forgiven those you retain are retained. Sounds like the Apostles were hearing confessions.

We do not worship saints but try to immulate and is you read the bible you will see saints in several areas. We ask the saints to pray for us. I hear a baptist Minister say many times I will pray for you if you do not need an intercessor or extra prayers was does the baptist minister say that?

Peter you are the rock that I will build my Church. Peter was the head Apostle. Does one think Christ meant for no successors for his Church? Not to continue and to be broken up in as many different sects. that Baptists have now.

There is no scripture in reading the full passage and not a couple of sentences that they can trip you on. Just tell them to continue reading.

Be very careful, brother.

If we are to be honest, what you describe above can be any number of Catholic parishes.

Instead, I think he wants us to be there to better your relationship with God.

Amen…though I will submit that you do not need to enter the Roman Catholic Church to do that.

I am sure most here would disagree.

Every time I see my Mom she wants to argue and tell me she’s praying that God will lead me in the “right” direction (the way she believes, of course). My dad is a Baptist preacher and he wont say anything to me about it, which is kinda strange. My question is, what in world can I do break them out of their shell? Shouldn’t they be happy that I’m getting back in Church and realizing what really is important? To them it’s like I’m joining another religion and believing in another God or something. What can I do? God bless.

I hear you.

I hear you.

Leaving Catholicism can be even worse with the family. I come from that side of things.

As other Catholics here have said: they believe that to leave the Church is equivalent to rejecting Jesus Christ Himself!

Imagine how a devout Catholic mother and grandmother would feel about that!

See my post above – this line of reasoning presupposes that the person with whom you’re arguing is willing to be objective. Of course we believe these things are true; Baptists and many other NCs do not, and stand on the Bible in the same way we do as a justification.

Ukdal1, until your family is willing to hear the rationale behind Catholic theology and practice, and to do so with an open heart and mind, trying to educate them is more likely to be divisive than productive.

Peace,
Dante

There’s tons of information on this site that can give you a detailed explination of what the Church teaches and why. You can use it if you really feel the need to argue with your parents. Alternatively, there are some really excellent Catholic apologetics books in any big box bookstore that you can give them.

My advice–just be respectful and polite. You parents love you, and they probably see your conversion as a rejection of the way they raised you. Even though that’s not what’s going on, that is most likely the way they feel.

The next time your mom tells you that she is praying for you just give her a hug and say, “Thanks, mom. I need all the prayers I can get.”

Best of luck to you.

Hello and Welcome!:slight_smile:

First and foremost, I wish to tell you that I just prayed for your family members. I asked God that they open their hearts to the truth.

My mother-in-law of nearly 15 years was deeply and to the core anti-Catholic. She was Methodist and that was the only true way to go in her mind. To her dismay, her oldest son also married a Catholic girl. And then came the children, baptized in the Catholic faith. Uh oh, she was losing control of her reign over the faith of her sons, but she finally came to realize that the earth did not fall in. My husband converted to the faith, and you know what? He didn’t change! I mean this in a good way. He was and is the same great guy he always was and I think this was shocking. Then we enrolled our son in Catholic school:eek:! Oh the horrors! And she started attending school assemblies and special school Masses…She forbid her eldest son from marrying in the Catholic Church, so he obliged her and they sought a dispensation from the Bishop so they could have a wedding in an inter-faith chapel:(. We did not. Thankfully, my husband’s attitude was and is if she doesn’t like it, well that is her problem. She now sees that our son is growing into a fine Christian young man who is a straight A student and the one grandchild in the family she doesn’t mind to take out in public. :wink: Anyway, you get the idea. My sister-in-law just shared with me that she shared with MIL that they are enrolling their child in a Catholic Pre-K and much to her surprise, MIL was very happy and said she heard that school had a great program. See, miracles do happen.

As you remain the loved one they always knew, but they see a light of faith growing within you, they will come to realize that this was a good thing in your life. That is, once they realize you don’t grow the sign of the beast on your forehead…:smiley: Who knows, maybe others will start to follow your path…

You are an evangelist and they don’t even know it yet!

Kelly

Ignore any but the most serious and charitable discussions and settle in for the duration.

Maybe get and give away CDs from The Bible Christian Society.

Sometimes our enemies really will be they of our own households…:frowning:

Thank you all so much for your support!!! it helps to know I’m not the only one that has went through this!!! I realize that everyone (including me) thinks that they are right. I did for 27 years because thats the way I was raised. But when I finally gave in and started reading and studying the scriptures about the One True Catholic Church, I realized the Catholic Church WAS right. To me the Church and its teachings are perfect. They are what I have been searching for (and running from :blush: )my whole life. All I can do is try to show my parents and family and friends that this has changed me completely inside and out and pray that they will grow in understanding. All I can do is to do what is right for me and my family. Please pray for me and my family, I need all the help I can get. Thank you again, God bless.

David

Only because that’s what He told us: “The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me.” (Luke 10:16)

Jeremy

**Leaving Catholicism can be even worse with the family. I come from that side of things.

As other Catholics here have said: they believe that to leave the Church is equivalent to rejecting Jesus Christ Himself!**

Only because that’s what He told us: “The one who hears you hears me, and the one who rejects you rejects me, and the one who rejects me rejects him who sent me.” (Luke 10:16)

Since someone leaving the Roman Catholic system is not leaving Christ’s church, then this point is moot.

Secondly, Christ was addressing Jewish disciples, not any RC Magisterium of bishops.

Thirdly, I know you want to apply that verse so bad just to the Catholic Magisterium, but it just doesn’t apply. Christ was addressing all those He sends forth.

Some of us do not make the grand assumption that He sends forth every Catholic bishop to speak for Him, and if history is any guide, then He doesn’t.

If He sends you to speak in His name, you better believe that any who reject you are rejecting Christ. Same with me and all other who are called to serve Him and spread the Good News.

The formal term is “heretic” or “schismatic” - depending upon the circumstances.

Secondly, Christ was addressing Jewish disciples, not any RC Magisterium of bishops.

Who do you think made up the Magisterium of the Church in the earliest days? Who were the overseers (bishops), elders/presbyters (priests) and deacons if not a bunch of Jewish guys? :slight_smile:

Thirdly, I know you want to apply that verse so bad just to the Catholic Magisterium, but it just doesn’t apply. Christ was addressing all those He sends forth.

Heh. Better take a deeper look at history and the scriptures, my friend. As an ex-Catholic, it appears to be YOU who wants “so bad” to mis-apply the verses.

Some of us do not make the grand assumption that He sends forth every Catholic bishop to speak for Him, and if history is any guide, then He doesn’t.

It is grand…but it’s not an assumption. Just the way things are. Sure, we’ve had our share of bad clergy…heck, Jesus had one out of 12 go sour.

If He sends you to speak in His name, you better believe that any who reject you are rejecting Christ. Same with me and all other who are called to serve Him and spread the Good News.

Well, now we have a new magisterium to deal with…only you aren’t infallible, are you? :nope:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.