Catholic college hires gay Unitarian Universalist dean

St. Michael’s college is a small Catholic college near Burlington, Vermont. In recent months, the school has promoted the former head of the religious studies dept. to dean of the college. The man, Jeffery Trumbower, is actively gay and attends the local Unitarian Universalist church (a church that doesn’t believe in the Trinity and for that matter anything else). The school is run by the Edmundite order which historically has focused on social justice issues. In this case they have a mistaken notion of social justice. My understanding is that the bishop of Vermont has issued a warning against the school but I’m not sure what sort of sanctions (if any) will ultimately occur if they don’t back down from their choice. Does any one else know what the Church plans on doing in this case? Below is an article and blog I found that gives some details about the case.

splendoroftruth.com/curtjester/archives/005801.php

[quote=Riley259]My understanding is that the bishop of Vermont has issued a warning against the school but I’m not sure what sort of sanctions (if any) will ultimately occur
[/quote]

If the college is belongs to a religious order, what can the bishop do ?

[quote=Guar Fan]If the college is belongs to a religious order, what can the bishop do ?
[/quote]

The bishop doesn’t have direct authority over the university or the order, but he would be fully within his rights to ban the order from his diocese if he determines that they are causing scandal to his faithful. I work at a Catholic college that has been run by lay people for the past several years & every now & then this issue comes up thanks to people who work or go to school here forgetting (conveniently or otherwise) that it is a Catholic institution.

This is all sad.:crying:

• Kathie :bowdown:

[quote=harinkj]This is all sad.:crying:

• Kathie :bowdown:
    [/quote]

Amen.

What do you expec???t… we have abandoned all tradition by giving up the true Mass for the Bugnini table service and now we are seeing… ( pardon the pun )… the “fruits” of Vatican II.

[quote=findinghumility]What do you expec???t… we have abandoned all tradition by giving up the true Mass for the Bugnini table service and now we are seeing… ( pardon the pun )… the “fruits” of Vatican II.
[/quote]

Women can vote as well, don’t forget that :thumbsup:

What is happening colleges? :confused: I’m appalled.

Wouldn’t the suitability of hiring a candidate to a religious school from a different confession rather depend upon the School Charter?

I was initiated into the Catholic Church about seven years ago. I come from a strongly anti-Catholic family, most of whom are Unitarian Universalist. One of my sisters, though heterosexual, is very active in pro-LGBT political activities. Of course she and I strongly disagree on many issues; however, we both recognize, even in our disparity of cult, that it is GOD who gives the Grace to believe. That is, I was called to the Catholic Church by the Grace of GOD.

I rent a room in her house and we get along quite well – neither one of us backing down from our divergent beliefs. Yet, we can and do work together on projects with which we are in agreement.

If the mission of that school is the Great Commission, then is the board evangelizing the new dean?

If the mission of that school is not the Great Commission, then why do they call themselves Catholic?

Please do not revive 4+ year old threads.

If you wish, you can resubmit your question as a new thread in the Apologetics forum.

THREAD CLOSED

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.