Catholic Colleges and Vocations

Just spent some time looking at some great colleges we have here in California that are Catholic…

Sighhhh… I wish I had the resources to go. They are, like all colleges, pricey.

Wonderful schools, Thomas Aquinas college, and John Paul the Great college. Boy would I love to attend, everything just seems to be out of my league…

I guess this thread is more of a public ‘bang my head on the wall’ because I did not take my ACT/SAT’s. :o

I look at colleges, I look at orders, and I just feel ‘meh’. :shrug:

Please pray for me and my quarter-life crisis, and future vocation/mission.

If you really want to go to a Catholic school, it might be a good idea to take some time to work to earn money for school. You could be a part-time student and work full or part time to save up for classes. There are also scholarships and grants you should look into. Student loans are okay in an emergency but the interest rates are very high so unless you’re going into a profession that makes a lot of money right away it’s best to avoid student debt.

And don’t forget there are other options. You could finish your undergraduate work at a UC or CSU (relatively cheap schools, as the state taxes help knock down tuition costs) and then go to the Catholic school for your Master’s degree. Some community colleges guarantee acceptance to a UC or CSU if you get a 3.0 or higher GPA at the community college. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know! If money weren’t an issue for me, I would definitely be looking at the Franciscan University of Steubenville! (It’s a few states away but it seems really cool.). I have a friend who is tying to decide on if she wants to go to Steubenvillle or Mary Magdela college. Me, I’m stick here in Wisconsin trying to find a school that seems decent. And I haven’t even figured out a career yet! I bet you could still go to college. It might be harder to find scholarship and things like that, but you can go to college at any age. :slight_smile: I’m sure you can still take the ACT/SAT. (I get to take the ACT in 15 days. Oh the joy!) Im still holding out hope for a catholic college though, they can cost about the same as a state university if you get enough scholarships. :slight_smile:

You might wish to contact each of the schools. Ask about scholarships and work/study opportunities. If you can visit the schools and spend time discussing you situation with their advisors, so much the better. They will know how to help you realize your dream.
May God bless ou. amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.