Catholic Community

I think it'd be cool if there was a devout catholic community available out there for lay people. It's wonderful that the Amish have theirs...even the Mormons. Imagine, all holy day of obligations off, all Sundays off, headcovering the norm at Mass, all understanding the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, latin, not just catechism but learning through living it. A full on complete catholic community dedicated to Our Lord, Jesus Christ, his bride the Church and our Immaculate Mother. I could go on..... but I'll let you daydeam to of a place where we could be Catholic and Loving it! I still love it- I just wanted to phrase the book title ;)

God Bless!
:bible1:

Jesus,our Lords peace be with You.
Yes,it would. But You can make Your own. Turn Your home in to one,seek a job so that You don't have to work on sundays,follow every word of the Catheschim,devote You life to prayers,or do it the way it works,join a convent.

I disagree. The Amish, for instance, isolate themselves from the mainstream community. It is our calling to live in the world while being not of this world. That is how we can leaven the world and give good example.

Christians are not called to live in ghettos, isolating themselves from day-to-day dealings with the rest of humanity.

[quote="gracelovefaith, post:1, topic:217925"]
I think it'd be cool if there was a devout catholic community available out there for lay people. It's wonderful that the Amish have theirs...even the Mormons. Imagine, all holy day of obligations off, all Sundays off, headcovering the norm at Mass, all understanding the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass, latin, not just catechism but learning through living it. A full on complete catholic community dedicated to Our Lord, Jesus Christ, his bride the Church and our Immaculate Mother. I could go on..... but I'll let you daydeam to of a place where we could be Catholic and Loving it! I still love it- I just wanted to phrase the book title ;)

God Bless!
:bible1:

[/quote]

I just read in the news paper that the Amish have grown with 20.000 persons over the last 10 years. Also I have heard that such groups suffer much less from illnesses through artificial food-products, plastic, hormones etc, because they live so naturally. Their infertility was close to zero whereas for the rest of the Western world every 5th couple has problems having children.
I think making a Catholic "amish group" would be great.. a community based on the way that the first Christians lived ( That for me excludes Latin which is something I find alienating in every Mass and which seems to place fascination with an old language over the personal understanding and ability to pray along with the liturgy in a meaningful worship) and for people to come and live there for some years or all their life, so that they could have peace to become strong Christians and raise their children the same way.

:) ciao

My mom grew up in the day with not TV. So for lent, every day they went to the Church to say a rosary. They had nothing better to do. Sure it sounds like a cool lifestyle to be able to say a rosary with your friends every night.

however 2 problems arose.

1-)The main motivation for attending can easily become ‘What will people think if I don’t go’. God sees through that and if we are just being a hypocryte might as well stay home

2-) To live in a society with so many distraction and choosing to go to church is noble. It is putting out effort for God. If there was nothing better to do than go to church, where is the sacrifice for God?

CM

[quote="Joan_M, post:3, topic:217925"]
I disagree. The Amish, for instance, isolate themselves from the mainstream community. It is our calling to live in the world while being not of this world. That is how we can leaven the world and give good example.

Christians are not called to live in ghettos, isolating themselves from day-to-day dealings with the rest of humanity.

[/quote]

They don't isolate themselves as much as you might think they do. We have a small Amish community just a few miles up the road from where we live, but they shop and eat at many of the same places we do. They are very friendly with their neighbors, its not uncommon to see them at neighborhood picnics, I've even seen them at Catholic funerals if one of their friends is Catholic and has passed away. They help out on the farms and work with many of the construction companies around our area as well. They use the public trasportation sometimes. They are very approachable, their community isn't really that much different from what the OP is proposing for Catholics.

Edited to add: technically its not a strict Catholic community, but this might be of interest
avemaria.com/.
I don't think they can legally restrict their residents to just Catholics, but it is right next to Ave Maria University and they do have a parochial school already within the community.

I do not live far from a Catholic community.

There are various degrees of community ... this one goes as far as everyone lives on the community's property, they share farming duties and school all their children in their school house.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.