Catholic congregations for teaching?

Hi,

there is an endless number of Catholic congregations - but I'd like to know which of them especially engage in teaching, mainly in schools. This is, well, as one knows, also part of the Jesuit mission. And then there are the Little Brothers of Mary. But I'm sure there are many other congregations out there still - any suggestions?

[quote="TheWhim, post:1, topic:234718"]
Hi,

there is an endless number of Catholic congregations - but I'd like to know which of them especially engage in teaching, mainly in schools. This is, well, as one knows, also part of the Jesuit mission. And then there are the Little Brothers of Mary. But I'm sure there are many other congregations out there still - any suggestions?

[/quote]

There are the Basilian Fathers; Congregation of Christian Brothers; the Dominicans, Society of Mary, Marists; Xavierian Brothers; Clerics of St. Viator. I'm sure there are others, too.

Whim: in the 60's I was taught by theSisters of Providence.

+The Blessed St. Dominic's . . . Dominican Order of Preachers . . . containing both men and women . . . is an Order that has a great . . . centuries old . . . successful history of teaching and preaching througout the world . . .

. . . :compcoff: . . .
Dominican Spirituality

[quote]The spirituality

evidenced throughout all of the branches of the Order reflects the spirit and intentions of its founder, though some of the elements of what later developed may have surprised the Castilian friar. Fundamentally, Dominic was ]"...a man of prayer who utilized the full resources of the learning available to him to preach, to teach, and even materially to assist those searching for the truth found in the gospel of **Christ. It is that spirit which **[Dominic] **bequeathed to his followers".[20]The spiritual tradition of **Dominic's Order **is punctuated not only by charity, study and preaching, but also by instances of mystical union. The **Dominican emphasis on learning and on charity distinguishes it from other monastic and mendicant orders. As the Order first developed on the European continent, learning continued to be emphasized by these friars and their sisters in Christ. These religious also struggled for a deeply personal, intimate relationship with God. When the** Order reached England, many of these attributes were kept, but the English gave the **Order additional, specialized characteristics. This topic is discussed below.

Dominic's search for a close relationship with God was determined and unceasing. He rarely spoke, so little of his interior life is known. What is known about it comes from accounts written by people near to him. St. Cecilia remembered him as cheerful, charitable and full of unceasing vigor. From a number of accounts, singing was apparently one of Dominic's great delights.[18] Dominic practiced self-scourging and would mortify himself as he prayed alone in the chapel at night for 'poor sinners.' He owned a single habit, refused to carry money, and would allow no one to serve him.[19]

Mottos

*Laudare, Benedicere, Praedicare *
To praise, to bless and to preach
*(from the Dominican Missal, Preface of the Blessed Virgin Mary) *

*Veritas *
Truth

Contemplari et Contemplata Aliis Tradere **
To study and to hand on the fruits of study (or, to contemplate and to hand on the fruits of contemplation)
:compcoff: *Link: * en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominican_Order
[RIGHT]
- WikipediA**[/RIGHT]

[/quote]

:compcoff: *Link: * en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominicans_in_the_United_States

The Basilian Fathers are excellent. They staff the Catholic College on my university campus. In the past 2 years, we went from 3 priests to 4, and we’ll have 5 this fall. They are excellent preachers and very down to earth people.

They have a couple high schools in Canada at the US and 1 in Columbia.

[quote="Jesus_123, post:4, topic:234718"]
+The Blessed St. Dominic's . . . Dominican Order of Preachers . . . containing both men and women . . . is an Order that has a great . . . centuries old . . . successful history of teaching and preaching througout the world . . .

:compcoff: *Link: * en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dominicans_in_the_United_States

[/quote]

We've got plenty of Dominican nuns in France. some are very orthodox.
It's a good suggestion, I'd say.

Many thanks for the information!

[quote="TheWhim, post:1, topic:234718"]
Hi,

[/quote]

The Benedictines are very strong teachers, men and women. It has been part of their tradition for a long time, growing out of their large monasteries and emphasis on scholarship. I think that among the largest orders, those with the strongest tradition of teaching are the Jesuits, Benedictines and Dominicans.

Here's a list of Benedictine colleges and universities in the US.

www.abcuinfo.org

USA
FLORIDA

Saint Leo University
33701 State Road 52
Saint Leo, FL 33574-6665
(352) 588-8242

ILLINOIS

Benedictine University
5700 College Road
Lisle, IL 60532-0900
(630) 829-6000

KANSAS

Benedictine College
1020 N. 2nd Street
Atchison, KS 66002-1499
(913) 367-5340

MINNESOTA

College of Saint Benedict
37 College Avenue
St. Joseph, MN 56374-2099
(320) 363-5505

College of St. Scholastica
1200 Kenwood Avenue
Duluth, MN 55811
(218) 723-6000

Saint John's University
Box 2000
Collegeville, MN 56321-2000
(320) 363-2011
Fr. Bob Koopmann OSB, President
[email]sjpresident@csbsju.edu[/email]
NEW HAMPSHIRE**

Saint Anselm College
100 Saint Anselm Drive
Manchester, NH 03102-1310
(603) 641-7000

NORTH CAROLINA

Belmont Abbey College
100 Belmont-Mount Holly Road
Belmont, NC 28012-1802
(704) 825-6748

NORTH DAKOTA

University of Mary
7500 University Drive
Bismarck, ND 58504-9652
(701) 255-7500

OKLAHOMA

St. Gregory's University
1900 West MacArthur Street
Shawnee, OK 74804
(405) 878-5421

PENNSYLVANIA

Saint Vincent College
300 Fraser Purchase Road
Latrobe, PA 15650-2690
(724) 805-2271

SOUTH DAKOTA

Mount Marty College
1105 West 8th Street
Yankton, SD 57078
(800) 658-4552

WASHINGTON

Saint Martin's University
5300 Pacific Ave. S.E.
Lacey, WA 98503
(360) 491-4700

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.