Catholic conversion stories

Hello,

I recently ordered a volume entitled '‘Far From Rome, Near To God’'
which told the stories of fifty Catholic priests who had converted to Protestantism. Content aside, i was wondering if anyone knew of any existing Catholic rebuttals to the arguments against the Faith made in this book.

Thanks.

Peace and all-good!

Judas Iscariot was an ex-apostle. Martin Luther was an ex-priest. You may add on the list the name of Bartholonew Brewer, etc. etc. But there’s nothing new here.

According to Saint John, "It was from our ranks that they took their leave - not that they really belong to us;
for if they had belonged to us,
they would have stayed with us.
It only served to show that none of them was ours. (1 John 2: 19)

For the faithful, Saint Paul said, “But there is no other. Some who wish to alter the gospel of Christ must have confused you. For even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel not in accord with the one we delivered to you, let a curse be upon him!” (Gal. 1: 7).

Ave Maria!

jpaul

No, my friend, with all due respect, you misunderstand. I was referring specifically to the arguments made against our faith within the book itself. Please accept my apologies for any lack of clarity on my part, and thank you anyway for your responses.

It would help if you gave some examples, unless you are asking if someone has actually published a specific response to the claims made in the book you read. That I do not know.

Peace and all-good!

Read books written by ex-priests (like *Pilgrimage from Rome *by Bartholomew Brewer). Then read also books written by ex-ministers (like *Rome Sweet Home *by Scott Hahn). You will sensed a big difference.

More than anything else, the ex-priests are full of hate against the Church, while the ex-ministers are full of love for Jesus Chirst.

Ave Maria!

jpaul

similar observation in lay persons for ex-Catholics and ex-nonCatholics.

How do we know the content, in order to give a rebuttal?

Excellent post Jeanette! :thumbsup: One of the ways a well educated n-C explained away the consequence of sin (in the context of a discussion of Purgatory) is that sin resides in the flesh and when our souls are separated from out bodies all our sin is separated as well. Your observations of Satan’s purely spiritual sin solidly refutes such a notion. Thanks again

It is true and it is very sad, because to be in the middle of it, you don’t see it, you have to step outside.

I didn’t have that understanding of my own view of the Christian faith until I started studying the Christian faith through the centuries from the beginning up to the present, and had to come to terms with the fact that there were just too many Scriptures that I, as a Bible Christian, was all too willing to overlook in order to sustain the theology I had been taught and was convinced beyond any doubt to be true. It was a rude awakening, a terrible irony, and one no life long Christian wants to face, unless they come to believe there may be consequences in not doing so.:frowning:

Exactly! :thumbsup: I can’t count the number of verses that got “explained away” in order to keep a tight hold on the pet doctrines of “eternal security” and “works don’t mean anything.”

A friend of mine is also a Baptist-turned-Catholic, and a couple of years ago (while I was still Baptist myself) she said something about certain Baptist doctrines not being Biblical. I was afraid at the time to ask which ones, since I knew I wouldn’t agree with her, anyway. :rolleyes: I thought (at the time) surely she must have listened to “some other spirit” or she would still be Baptist. :blush:

It’s funny how it’s always everyone else who is following a different “spirit”, isn’t it? No matter who you talk to, it’s the other person who’s being deceived.

It comes down to this: which views have been consistant from the beginning? If you are diligent and really want to know the truth of it, you can easily study the earliest Christian writings and find out. You can then follow the teachings through the centuries. But you have to be ready to deal with what you find. :shrug:

What’s really funny is the PM conversation I had a few years ago with a Nazarene. We were discussing our concern for these poor, delusional ladies we knew from various Protestant backgrounds who had converted to the RCC. She entered the Church at Easter this year, and I’m just about there. :o We laugh about that conversation now.

It comes down to this: which views have been consistant from the beginning? If you are diligent and really want to know the truth of it, you can easily study the earliest Christian writings and find out. You can then follow the teachings through the centuries. But you have to be ready to deal with what you find. :shrug:

Darn those ECFs and their undeniably Catholic theology! :cool: That was one of my “rugs” - discovering that the earliest Christians weren’t really Baptists. :eek:

Most Baptists (and other Evangelicals/Fundamentalist) would read them (ECFs) and swear they weren’t really Christians either, even if they were the only ones around! :shrug:

And I don’t want to sound flip, you know. I understand all too well the fear involved in such a discovery and not wanting on any level to go there. I wish everyone the courage to just ask for guidance, even if it means the worst case scenario is true. :blush:

Split and Edited Title: Catholic Vs Baptist Soteriology Discussion

Off topic posts and posts that led to a derailment of this thread have been culled.

Please stick to Catholic Conversion Stories.

The discussion of Catholic Vs Baptist soteriology can now be found here.
MF

Out of curiosity, did you find that the teachings you were most afraid of were the teachings you resisted the most? Were there teachings which instilled fear in you as to the possibility of them being true? If so, which ones? What form did your resistance/fear take? Thank you.

:slight_smile:

I don’t know of any books that contain rebuttals specifically for the book you mention, but your post does remind me of something I read in Surprised by Truth 2 (page 82). This is a challenge issued by Fr Ray Ryland (a Catholic convert from the Episcopal faith) to his Episcopal friends:

Show me one Roman Catholic who has really understood his Faith, devoutly practiced it, loved the Church, and never dreamed of leaving it, yet who, through serious study, discovered that the Episcopal Church is in fact the one true Church, the Church that Jesus Christ established, the Church that has been entrusted with the fullness of Christ’s truth and means of grace, the Church that Jesus Christ has authorized to speak authoritatively and even infallibly in His name. Show me a Catholic like that who was therefore compelled by the direction of the Holy Spirit to enter the Episcopal Church. Show me just one Catholic convert to the Episcopal Church of whom all this is true.

I issue this challenge serenely, knowing it will never be met.

Oooh, that’s good. I think you could put that challenge to someone of ANY non-Catholic faith. I have the first volume of Surprised By Truth. I need to get the others. I do love a good conversion story. :smiley:

I think you’re right–we could put that challenge to any non-Catholic, and no one would meet it.

Now that I think about it, the Surprised by Truth books (or any of the Catholic conversion story books) would be good rebuttals to the book Far from Rome, Near to God. Just compare the reasons why Catholics leave the Church to the reasons why Protestants come into the Church. I think you’ll see there’s a big difference in their worldviews.

But like Fr Ray said, I can’t imagine how anyone who truly understood and loved the Catholic faith could leave it for any other non-Catholic Christian denomination. I know I never could.

Amen. All glory be to our God!

jpaul

Janet S,

Peace and all-good!

I like the books **Surprised by Truth **by Patrick Madrid; **Rome Sweet Home **by Dr. Scott Hahn; **Born Fundamentalist, Born Again Catholic **by David B. Currie, etc. And I shared them to my friends to read.

There are also many good conversion stories available in the internet by searching: catholic convert.

The recent conversion to the Catholic Church of Dr. Francis Beckwith will be a great addition to the long list.

Many more Protestant brothers and sisters will be coming home to the one true Church of Christ.

All glory be to our God!

Ave Maria!

jpaul

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.