Catholic Denominations

There exists as much Catholic denominations as Protestant denomination my Prot friend says? He read it somewhere but couldn’t show me the article. (but I read one long ago that had a similar charge)

I say OK! If that is true, then you should be able to list atleast five from the top of your head. As I can list five Prot denonimations, right now!

Here is my list, say my friend!

Saint Marys Catholic Church
Sacred Hart Catholic Church
St Anthonys Catholic Church
Holy Spirit Catholic Church
and Saint Pual’s Catholic

I smiled from ear to ear! Now I know were they get these denominations from, I said to myself!

I gave him a harder task. I said find me altleast one catholic denomination that has teachings (not traditions) outside the Church of Rome, but still regards the Pope and Bishops as their head. As you know, this is almost impossible! One shepard and one flock, not one Shepard and two flocks. (get the idea)

If you find one, then you have atleast two division under the pope and bishops…

Well done! Boy is he in for a rough time… :rotfl: :rotfl:

I am afraid your Protestant friend is correct. There are Catholic Denominations. Under the ecumenism of Vatican II, we have the Eastern Rite Catholic Church, which has always allowed married priests and a celibate monastic order.

And we have the Latin Rite Catholic Church; which includes: 1. The Roman Rite; 2. the Ambrosian Rite; and 3. the Mozarabic Rite.

In March of 2005 the Vatican has allowed married men to be ordained as Roman Catholic Priests; please read this depressing shocker:

scmo.org.uk/_titles/view.asp?id=349

The smoke of satan has put the Holy Catholic Church on the slippery slope of Protestantism. :crying:

Kevin, that is nothing new. New to Scotland, maybe, but not elsewhere. The man was already ordained as an Episcopal priest and converted to the Catholic church. After appropriate training (or retraining), he was ordained a Catholic priest. The same thing happened in the US about twenty years ago when the Episcopaleans split over women’s ordination and a number of congregations became Catholic, priests and all. It continues to happen occasionally (one in Pennsylvania recently) and I hope we’ll see a lot more of it before this mess over gay bishops plays out. Moreover, priestly celibacy is a church discipline which can be changed or dispensed from as the Vatican sees fit.

I am afraid your Protestant friend is correct. There are Catholic Denominations. Under the ecumenism of Vatican II, we have the Eastern Rite Catholic Church, which has always allowed married priests and a celibate monastic order.

And we have the Latin Rite Catholic Church; which includes: 1. The Roman Rite; 2. the Ambrosian Rite; and 3. the Mozarabic Rite.

These are rites and not denominations. If I’m not mistaken, Pope Paul VI was from a different rite.Remember that the rule of no married priest is a discipline and not a doctrine nor a dogma. There are exceptions. My priest is married and I dare anybody to find a more-faithful-to-the-magisteriaum-and-rubrics Catholic priest than him in my city.

P.S. BTW the provision to allow some Anglican married clergy to be ordained catholic priests was approved by John Paul the Great in 1980 under a Pastoral Provision. My pastor has been a Catholic Priest since 1983.

Until the term denomination is defined the statement about Catholic or Protestant denominations is meaningless. In general I think it refers to a religious community that differs from similar communities in one or more matters of faith, moral teaching, and public fellowship. With that definition, and the further usual understanding of Catholic as being in communion with the pope, there are no Catholic denominations. Rites differ only in discipline and canon law.

[quote=Kevin Walker]I am afraid your Protestant friend is correct. There are Catholic Denominations. Under the ecumenism of Vatican II, we have the Eastern Rite Catholic Church, which has always allowed married priests and a celibate monastic order.

In March of 2005 the Vatican has allowed married men to be ordained as Roman Catholic Priests; please read this depressing shocker:

The smoke of satan has put the Holy Catholic Church on the slippery slope of Protestantism. :crying:
[/quote]

Kevin. It has been shown to you that the eastern rites are fully Catholic and there traditions are just as valid as those in the western rite.

[quote=Kevin Walker]I am afraid your Protestant friend is correct. There are Catholic Denominations. Under the ecumenism of Vatican II, we have the Eastern Rite Catholic Church, which has always allowed married priests and a celibate monastic order.

[/quote]

“Denomination” has a historic meaning. It refers to the break down of doctrinal differences between such Protstant bodies as Baptist and Presbyterian under the impact of the evangelcial movement. Unable to solve the historic theological problems caused by Calvinism, especially that of predestination, they simply stopped arguing about them. In the minds of their adherents their differences became simply matters of custom, such as the proper form of baptism, “sprinking” vs. “dunking,” As for infant baptism, the matter of original sin has been swept under the rug. Baptists don’t have infant baptism, but they have
infant “dedication.” There are still Protestants who believe that infants receive grace from baptism, but for most it is simply an initiation rite.

Rather than talk about denominations, why not say that some Catholics are unconsciously more Protestant than Catholic…

[/quote]

Rites are different cultural or historical ways of celebrating Liturgy not differences in Doctrinal belief.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.