Catholic Doctors and Contraception

What is the Church teaching regarding Catholic physicians prescribing artificial contraception?

I have a friend who is going to medical school in a few years and plans on being an OB-GYN. She is not sure whether she can or should be an NFP-only doctor (she is not convinced of the damage contraception does, but fully accepts the Church’s teaching against it within Catholic sacramental marriage).

From talking to her, it seems she is concerned that she would be ‘forcing her beliefs on others’ to refuse to prescribe the pill to those who are sexually active outside of Catholic marriage. To what extent is she morally bound to support the Church’s teaching on sexuality in her work as a physician?

Any resources you could direct me to would be helpful!

My wife’s OB-GYN is Catholic and will not prescribe birth control at all. As well as our family physician, he will not prescribe it either as well as many of his associates. There was even a sign stating this at the reception area of his office.

The OB-GYN everyone just knows that he will not, he is upfront with it as well. I feel that she should stick to her guns here and not prescribe it to conform with the Church’s stance on ABC.

How busy is your wife’s OB/GYN? Maybe by showing Rach620’s friend that doctors that do not prescribe ABC still have a profitable practice would help.

I would love a doctor that just knows about NFP. Even if they don’t know much. At my doctor’s office, I had to explain that NFP was not the old rhythm method. :rolleyes:

Your friend must keep in mind that contraception is not “just” a Catholic sin. It is intrinsically disordered-- against the divine and natural law. It is wrong for all people, in all times.

The Catechism speaks specifically on the topic of cooperating with sin:

1868 Sin is a personal act. Moreover, we have a responsibility for the sins committed by others when we cooperate in them:

• by participating directly and voluntarily in them;

• by ordering, advising, praising, or approving them;

• by not disclosing or not hindering them when we have an obligation to do so;

• by protecting evil-doers.

I suggest your friend get the materials from www.omsoul.com which include some books by physicians who quit prescribing contraception.

Also, they should contact the Catholic MEdical Association, cathmed.org/ and the Catholic Medical Students Association cathmsa.org/

Our pro-life, NFP only doctor is part of a thriving practice! There are 4 doctors and one midwife. If your friend wants to call and talk to someone there, pm me and I’ll send the name and phone number of the practice. It’s in PA.

Is your friend against drunk driving? Rape? Would a presidential candidate say, “I’m personally opposed to drunk driving, but I can’t force my opinion on others.”? Why would we not accept that, but we do accept the argument when it involves abortion or abc? —KCT

EXTREMELY busy! Sometimes my wife had to wait an hour or two to get in because he has to go deliver a baby or something like that. He is the greatest doctor ever! I credit him with saving our DD’s life. My wife’s placenta was tearing away from her uterus and he was willing to put her on medication that other doctors would not and saved my DD’s life.

He is just an amazing, amazing man. Very humble and has a very, very profitable practice!!

I agree to check out www.omsoul.com

aaplog.org/

Tell her to check out the American Association of Prolife obstetricians and gynecologists. Maybe she doesn’t knew they exist. Tell her to explore their website, they have statements on many things that anyone can study.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.