Catholic Employers

You might enjoy reading the link above.

If I was drinking I would have done a spit take.

Nicely done, TWF, nicely done.

As someone who worked at a convenience store over many college summers and vacations I know who often goes there. Yes, you have your beer guzzlers, your lotto buyers your cigarette junkies but you also have a family who is traveling miles to see family. You have the mom who has a half dozen sick kids and no food in the house because she hasn’t been able to get out since last Monday. You have the dad who’s working two jobs and grabs a treat for his kids that he hasn’t seen in days so they don’t feel as poor and downtrodden as they actually are. You have a lot of real-life people living in very difficult times.

Malls, clothing stores…things of that nature? No, they don’t need to be open. But a basic store for essential sundry needs? How much mercy can you lack and still qualify as a human?

Pope Francis: Sundays are a gift from God – don’t ruin it

Pope Francis promotes Sunday Rest

The Pope says that while poor people need jobs to have dignity, he indicated that opening stores and other businesses on Sundays wasn’t beneficial for society.

Exodus 20:8-11 “Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, neither you, nor your son or daughter, nor your male or female servant, nor your animals, nor any foreigner residing in your towns. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.

Ezekiel 20:20 Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us. Then you will know that I am the Lord your God.”

We eat wild game at my house.

I would imagine that the vast majority of Catholic employers give weekends off unless your position is in some vital service, such as working at a Catholic hospital, or you are a parish employee who must do something at a parish event on the weekend (such as a paid musician for mass).

What I would be more interested in is how much Catholic institutions, particularly parishes, pay their employees. There are many bishops in recent years decrying “income inequality” and unlivable wages for employees. I wonder if parish employees and Catholic employees in general are paid a “livable wage”? It’s all well and good to criticize McDonald’s down the road for only paying $8 an hour when you probably pay your parish secretary the same or not much more than that. It’s common knowledge that Catholic schools generally pay teachers less than public schools in most areas, and I’ve seen complaints on this forum that dioceses pull tricks like splitting up duties into separate part-time positions in order to deny someone full-time status to avoid paying benefits, higher wages, etc. I just wonder how many dioceses practice what they preach when it comes to compensating employees.

You mean like Catholic nursing homes and hospitals?

Uncalled for

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit