Catholic epistles

I have to pick one of the catholic epistles and I am not sure which one to choose. I need to write a summary and to choose a verse and reflect on it. could anyone please help me choose one as I would really appreciate it thank you. :slight_smile:

Could you be a little more specific, please? What is a “catholic epistle”? Can you name a few examples so we can get an idea of what you mean? Thanks! :slight_smile:

Perhaps 1 Peter?

Some great verses,

1 Peter 1:4 "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, 5 who by God’s power are being guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

1 Peter 1:15 "but as he who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, "

Plenty more!

These are the catholic epistles which i have been told to pick one of these 1st and 2nd peter, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd john and letter of Jude.

The catholic epistles are the universal epistles, addressed to the whole church rather than a specific church in a certain area,
They are
James
1 Peter
2 Peter
1 John
2 John
3 John
Jude

1 John 1:9-10 gives an interesting commentary on sin and forgiveness.

With all of our secular influences, I like this:

usccb.org/bible/1john/5

It’s a statement of hope, if we remain in Christ.
Good luck!

Hi, Zoe!

…I’m quite taken with 1st John; it is one, if not the, of the gems of Sacred Scriptures…

…of course, since I am taken with the Gospel of John, I cannot but admit that I am quite biased on this issue! :whistle::whistle::whistle:

…as a reflection here are a few samples:

[FONT=“Garamond”][size=]6 If we claim to have fellowship with him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live out the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

(1 St. John 1:6-7)
I know you’ve stated that you need one verse… but these two are so conjoined that they must (in my opinion) be studied as one (not sure if you are looking into personal thoughts on the verse or just a list…)

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

(1 St. John 1:9)

9 Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates a brother or sister** is still in the darkness.** (1 St. John 2:9)

2 Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is. (1 St. John 3:2)

16 This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. (1 St. John 3:16)

24 The one who keeps God’s commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. (1 St. John 3:24)

4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 St. John 4:4–particularly 4b)

9 This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. (1 St. John 4:9)

15 If anyone acknowledges that Jesus is the Son of God, God lives in them and they in God. (1 St. John 4:15)

20 Whoever claims to love God yet hates a brother or sister is a liar. For whoever does not love their brother and sister, whom they have seen, cannot love God, whom they have not seen. (1 St. John 4:20)

5 Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. (1 St. John 5:5)

12 Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. (1 St. John 5:12)

20 We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life. (1 St. John 5:20–this is the deepest one!)
Maran atha!

Angel

[/FONT][/size]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.