Catholic father of three to be first married Catholic Priest in NY this weekend

fairport-erpost.com/latestnews/x1084487505/Married-man-to-become-Catholic-priest-in-Henrietta

It doesn't say how old his children are (I'm thinking grown up), but married Anglican priests (and, I think, Lutheran clergy) have been allowed to become Catholic priests for several decades.

I found a more detailed article regarding this story :slight_smile:nydailynews.com/news/national/priest-celibate-wife-article-1.1246887

Yes; he had been an Episcopal priest for a long time, but discerned a call to the more conservative Roman Catholic Church. He was interviewed yesterday on our local Catholic radio station (or maybe the interview had been previously recorded.) He will be heading the first Anglican Ordinariate parish in our diocese.

Ain't it grand?!:thumbsup:

Great news, not only more new Catholics but another priest to serve the Church. God bless his ministry.

This is great news...Of course this is not really anything all that new - or out of the ordinary of the specific circumstances but as usual the secular news stories have missed the mark....

In the second article linked, it says this...

"So Cornelius jumped at the chance after Pope Benedict issued a directive last year aimed at filling the depleted Catholic ranks with converted Episcopalian priests."

This is a completely false statement as regards the possible ordination of former Episcopal and Anglican priests.

If one notes in that same article it says that he will be working in a "former Anglican" community....In other words...it is most likely a part of the "Anglican Ordinariate".

It is the Ordinariate that was put in place a couple of years ago and that Pope Benedict was addressing in allowing for the ordination of former Anglican (and Episcopal) priests...

Peace
James

"John Cornelius will be ordained a Roman Catholic priest this weekend — and with the blessing of his wife they're giving up their sex life."

How does "giving up their sex life" in their sacrament of Matrimony help with his sacrament of Holy Orders?

[quote="odile53, post:4, topic:312539"]
He will be heading the first Anglican Ordinariate parish in our diocese.

[/quote]

Wonderful!

I have been wondering how many of the priests who were ordained under the pastoral provision will eventually head up Anglican-use parishes. I will have to ask our married priest about the subject.

[quote="callmeChris, post:3, topic:312539"]
I found a more detailed article regarding this story :)nydailynews.com/news/national/priest-celibate-wife-article-1.1246887

[/quote]

So many problems with this article. For starters, it refers in the headline to the priest, a married man, taking a vow of celibacy. While it is true that in current usage the word celibate equates to not having sex, it actually means "the state of being unmarried". That's tough for a married man.

Then there's this:

[quote=]
So Cornelius jumped at the chance after Pope Benedict issued a directive last year aimed at filling the depleted Catholic ranks with converted Episcopalian priests.

[/quote]

Really? The reporter thinks that's why the Pope set up the ordinariate? The number of priests ordained under this provision will be a drop in the bucket compared to the total number of priests.

Before I start ranting...
This is a reason to give glory to God. Here is a man willing to stand up for the truth instead of going with the flow. He's not a sheep, but a shepherd (pun intended).

So Cornelius jumped at the chance after Pope Benedict issued a directive last year aimed at filling the depleted Catholic ranks with converted Episcopalian priests.

Several people have already commented on this quote, but I have to add my two cents. They are basically attributing a selfish motive to the Holy Father because they don't understand the missionary aspect of the Church. In fact, many people in the secular world don't understand that truth exists. If they don't believe in truth, how can they possibly understand our responsibility to proclaim the truth in love, to call people to conversion? The above statement is only intelligible after we realize that it comes from a relativist perspective. Since they do not understand Truth, the only option left is to think that the missionary impulse is selish.

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom,
Pray for us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.