Catholic & Greek Orthodox going to Coptic Church?

I have a friend who is Greek Orthodox and ecumenically minded coming up to help me with some repairs on my house. I was hoping that we could go to the local Coptic Orthodox Church, since it is in full communion with both the Roman Catholic Church and the Orthodox Churches. Am I wrong in thinking that we’d both be able to receive communion there? And if we are both able to, is it a prudent, wise idea? I just don’t want to step out of bounds here.

Alright. Did a bit more digging, and, according to this forum, we cannot. Sadness.:frowning:

I unfortunately haven’t attended a Coptic liturgy, but I would recommend taking the opportunity to observe, pray, and experience a unique and beautiful expression of the Christian faith. Let us know what it was like!

Coptic Liturgies are amazing, and I second the motion to simply attend and observe. I am not aware of any Coptic Churches that are in communion with both Rome and Orthodoxy. I’m only aware of Coptic Catholic and Coptic Orthodox Churches.

This is correct, there are Coptic Catholic and Coptic Orthdox, they don’t mix. And I don’t know that Coptic Orthodox are in communion with E. Orthodox, I believe that’s Oriental Orthodox, which went into schism perhaps around 500AD.

In the Middle East, inter-communion is not at all unusual, and what I suggest is to simply contact the Coptic priest and ask the same question posed in this forum. Some priests, even in the US, are very welcoming of RC and EO communicants and others are not.

I’ll second that advice; some will commune Catholics.

A big disclaimer though. Even if the Coptic priest would commune both the Catholic and the Orthodox parties neither of them should partake. The Catholic and Orthodox Churches do not allow their faithful to commune outside of their respective communions without extenuating circumstances.

In Christ
Joe

The Catholic church sets the bar pretty low, Joe.

Not quite “it’s more convenient”…

but “I was going to learn about their tradition and they let me” is pretty much acceptable. (see USCCB Ecumenical directory.)

Likewise, preservation of rite is also grounds, as is mixed marriage. (See V II post conciliar documents.)

So is lack of access to a Catholic parish, or being morally unable to attend the local Catholic parish for some reason (like the local parish has a priest who engages in frequent liturgical abuse or is in a known illicit relationship or is advocating abortion, female ordination to the priesthood, etc.).

In point of fact, the Catholic side of the bar for Catholic ministers communing Orthodox is, explicitly, “if they approach of their own will.” The Orthodox side sets the bar considerably higher in both cases… normally.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.