Catholic Harvest Festivel can it be done?

Hi The question above please and also , I know that we don't have a harvest festival but I quite like it and think its a great thing to do and I enjoyed the festivel when I went ( went to an a high church Anglican church school before I became a Christian)
For those who may not know what one is :
Harvest Festival is a celebration of the food grown on the land.

Thanksgiving ceremonies and celebrations for a successful harvest are both worldwide and very ancient. In Britain, we have given thanks for successful harvests since pagan times. We celebrate this day by singing, praying and decorating our churches with baskets of fruit and food in a festival known as 'Harvest Festival', usually during the month of September/October

Harvest Festival reminds Christians of all the good things God gives them. This makes them want to share with others who are not so fortunate. In schools and in Churches, people bring food from home to a Harvest Festival Service. After the service, the food that has been put on display is usually made into parcels and given to people in need.

Isn't there any way I could suggest to my preist if we can do a do make sort of thing or just attend the Anglo catholic church for it ? I know it's a a bit way off but it is soon

Thanks chuck

In Germany Catholics actually have the Harvest Festivel in churches, too. It is called "Erntedankfest" and is a Catholic tradition.

Not sure of official rules, but nothing wrong having a harvest meal and thanking God for the food.

Where I live, we have an oktoberfest event at our parish school that basically sounds like a harvest festival. In addition, we also celebrate Thanksgiving Day with Mass in our parish. The families bring boxes and bags of food and set them on the altar, to donate to the poor. They also dress some of the children up like Puritans, which is kinda weird but whatever, it’s a tradition. I think there is a precedent for having a harvest festival at a Catholic Church, particularly in an area where agriculture is really important. Consider making a pot luck out of it. Remember, if you feed them, they will come!

I remember as a child we did have Harvest Festival. We would bring food to school for the poor and needy. That was a Catholic School :)

If you are looking for ideas for the festivities, one of our highlights is a scarecrow contest. There are several catagories. Each class or grade (not sure which) submits an entry. There are full sized scarecrows and minis. Different families and parish groups also submit entries. After the contest, they are auctioned off to raise money for our parish school scholarship fund. There also used to be a pumpkin carving contest and a pumpkin pie race. Once there was a pumpkin hurling contest but I think they’ve discontinued that particular event. There’s also a chili supper, a band, and a hayride. (the hayride is pretty lame though.)

Lot's of Catholic parishes in various parts of the word DO have harvest festivals Chuck. So yes, it can be done in theory.

But if you *seriously *wish to suggest something to your priest he is probably going to be looking for a plan on *how *to do so. Harvest festivals need ideas, space, laborers, funding, setup, cleanup, materials, etc. Your priest most likely has better things to do than figure out how do to such a thing or even to figure out who to ask how to put on such an event.

[quote="SMHW, post:7, topic:294763"]
Lot's of Catholic parishes in various parts of the word DO have harvest festivals Chuck. So yes, it can be done in theory.

But if you *seriously *wish to suggest something to your priest he is probably going to be looking for a plan on *how *to do so. Harvest festivals need ideas, space, laborers, funding, setup, cleanup, materials, etc. Your priest most likely has better things to do than figure out how do to such a thing or even to figure out who to ask how to put on such an event.

[/quote]

I don't think anyone was thinking pin the planning on the priest. OP could easily get a group from the parish together to organize the whole thing as long as the priest is okay with the event happening.

[quote="Chuck1, post:1, topic:294763"]
Hi The question above please and also , I know that we don't have a harvest festival but I quite like it and think its a great thing to do and I enjoyed the festivel when I went ( went to an a high church Anglican church school before I became a Christian)
For those who may not know what one is :
Harvest Festival is a celebration of the food grown on the land.

Thanksgiving ceremonies and celebrations for a successful harvest are both worldwide and very ancient. In Britain, we have given thanks for successful harvests since pagan times. We celebrate this day by singing, praying and decorating our churches with baskets of fruit and food in a festival known as 'Harvest Festival', usually during the month of September/October

Harvest Festival reminds Christians of all the good things God gives them. This makes them want to share with others who are not so fortunate. In schools and in Churches, people bring food from home to a Harvest Festival Service. After the service, the food that has been put on display is usually made into parcels and given to people in need.

Isn't there any way I could suggest to my preist if we can do a do make sort of thing or just attend the Anglo catholic church for it ? I know it's a a bit way off but it is soon

Thanks chuck

[/quote]

core, I actually didnt know that you guys don't do this.
So good as well and we bring our harvest gifts to sunday service. at some point which varies from priest to priest people go forward to the altar with their gifts. the priest blesses them and next day we have an auction supper. you guys don't know what you are missing and its a gentle get together that reminds us how great is God and where our food comes from. The gifts are all food or food product related. We decorate the church with a farm type theme depending on the imagination of whoever.... Its so good.

I don't see why Catholics don't do this and am fairly certain Catholics in England do celebrate Harvest Festival though thats by assumption that everyone does it. Schools and even a growing number of pubs are beginning to take it up and asking the local vicar to go along and bless produce and think he might get a free pint in some places perhaps. Its hugh in England.

Look into your own patrimony: Rogation Days, Ember Days, and the Eve of the Feast of All Saints.

[quote="WingsOfEagles, post:8, topic:294763"]
I don't think anyone was thinking pin the planning on the priest. OP could easily get a group from the parish together to organize the whole thing as long as the priest is okay with the event happening.

[/quote]

I actually like the idea. My suggestion to Chuck is that he speak to some of the other young people in his parish, do some research, and come up with a high level plan prior to approaching his parish priest.

[quote="SMHW, post:11, topic:294763"]
I actually like the idea. My suggestion to Chuck is that he speak to some of the other young people in his parish, do some research, and come up with a high level plan prior to approaching his parish priest.

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.