Catholic interpretation of Revelation 19

I don’t have time for a full quote but in summary it says that Babylon the great falls, Christ appears on a white horse and there is a name on his thigh that only knows he conquers the beast and reigns as king. I know Catholics take revelation largely symbolically so I wondering what is your interpretation of this passage? I mean because what it describes is pretty literal sounding?

Rome was the great evil of the world when John received that revelation. As we see, the Roman Empire fell - and fell mightily, while the Church persists, exactly as Christ said it would. The marriage feast of the Lamb is likened to the sacrifice of the mass.

Here is the relevant chapter from he Haydock Commentary: veritasbible.com/drb/compare/haydock/Apocalypse_19

sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home/revelation

I highly recommend this link above which is loaded with excellent Catholic resources.

If you are going to cite like this, you should better quote because you really are not only changing the text but also its meaning. Here it is:

"Fallen, fallen is Babylon the great; she has become a home for demons and a refuge for every unclean spirit, and a hiding-place for every unclean and detested bird, 3because all the nations drank from the wine of the passion of her fornicating, and the rulers of the earth fornicated with her, and the merchants of the earth became rich on the strength of her lust for luxury.

4And I heard another voice from heaven saying: Come out of her my people, so that you do not take part in her sins and so that you do not receive from her plagues, 5because her sins have piled up to heaven, and God has remembered her wicked deeds. " Rev 18:1-5

That is one quote. The other is here:

"11And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse; and the One sitting on it is called Faithful and True and with justice he judges and makes war. 12His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems and he has a name written which no one knows except himself; 13he is clothed with a cloak dipped in blood, **and his name has been called the Word of God. **

14 And on white horses the armies of heaven followed him, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. 15 And out of his mouth comes a sharp sword, so that with it he may strike the nations, and he will shepherd them with a rod of iron; and he treads the winepress for the wine of the passion of the anger of Almighty God, 16a**nd on the cloak and on his thigh [standard] a title is written: King of kings and Lord of lords**. " Rev 19:14-16

**You expect us to give you an opinion of something that you are not even right.:wink:

OK Babylon falls… Christ does not have** in his thigh a name that only knows he conquers the beast and reigns as king. Sorry but it is not clear???

By the way if you want to know why standard is in brackets go here: newtorah.org/notes-on-translation.html scroll down to 19:16 and you will find it. Also some goodies about the Apocalypse www.newtorah.org

Enjoy and think first properly your questions,:thumbsup:
Gloria

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.