Catholic lullabyes?

Okay, strange Convert question…

Are there any good Catholic songs to sing to your kids as you rock them to sleep? So far the only song I really know is “'Tis the Gift,” which has a very good message and which I love, but I need more of a repretoire. And I don’t have the voice for Ave Maria, if you know what I mean :wink:

I sang this to my grandbabies, the P&W song that goes

Jesus, Jesus, holy and anointed one, Jesus
slow, meditative, soothing

of course the standard is Too-ra loo-ra loo-ra, which my mom used (nobody in our family is Irish, but she loved Irish music and Bing Crosby).

there are several settings of Ave Maria, some singable by ordinary people, some not, I like Gounod but can’t sing so anybody except babies cares to listen.

try the Our Father or chanting the Apostile Creed or Hail Mary or singing scripture. Any sooting tone will do and you start planting the seeds now…GOD BLESS

The one that always works with my kids is Immaculate Mary. I started humming/singing that one when our first was still in utero. They all love it so far. It is really sweet when they sing it to calm each other down. I have even witnessed my 20 month old son singing it to himself.

BTW, puzzleannie, I also like the Gounod Ave Maria. Unfortunately, God did not give me the voice to sing it (or Schubert). But, the kids and I enjoy singing it with each other. We are all equally off-key. :smiley:

I sang to our sons every night this song…and they still remind me of it…
Away in a manger…all the verses. I bet you can find them online if you google it!

My son loves his Holy Baby 2 DVD and I sing most of the songs on that. Holy Holy Holy is one that I really like b/c it is slow and pretty like a lullabye. I sing the Jesus Loves Me as well, there is a Catholic version on the DVD that they sing.

I think 'Tis a Gift is technically a Shaker hymn, but it’s still good! (At least Copeland thought so…)

I’ve been singing Away in the Manger and Silent Night to my LO. Not Christmas, but he doesn’t know that!

Good topic.

I’m not familiar with this website, but you can supposedly listen for free.

play.rhapsody.com/michaelcard/sleepsoundinjesusgentlelullabies/sleepsoundinjesus

We have this CD and have sung some of these to the babies.

I second Immaculate Mary. I sang this over and over again to my firstborn when he was a baby. Now he’s four and his eyes still light up when we sing it in Mass. He LOVES that hymn, and so do I!

Immaculate Mary does have a sweet lullabye sound.

Another that sounds like a lullabye or a music box tune to me is:

"Like a Shepherd

He leads His flock

And gathers the lambs in His arms"

(the name of the song escapes me).

I’ll third Immaculate Mary :smiley:

and add:
Sing of Mary
<<Sing of Mary, pure and lowly,
Virgin mother undefiled,
Sing of God’s own Son most holy,
Who became her little child.
Fairest child of fairest mother,
God the Lord who came to earth,
Word made flesh, our very brother,
Takes our nature by his birth.

Sing of Jesus, son of Mary,
In the home at Nazareth.
Toil and labour cannot weary
Love enduring unto death.
Constant was the love he gave her,
Though he went forth from her side,
Forth to preach, and heal, and suffer,
Till on Calvary he died.

Glory be to God the Father;
Glory be to God the Son;
Glory be to God the Spirit;
Glory to the Three in One.
From the heart of blessed Mary,
From all saints the song ascends,
And the Church the strain reechoes
Unto earth’s remotest ends.>>

Silent Night (I’m sure you know that one :wink: )

The Virgin’s Slumber Song
<Amid the roses Mary sits and rocks her Jesus-Child
While amid the treetops sighs the breeze so warm and mild
And soft and sweetly sings a bird upon the bough
Ah, Baby, dear one
Slumber now

Happy is Thy laughter; holy is Thy silent rest
Lay Thy head in slumber fondly on Thy mother’s breast
Ah, Baby, dear one
Slumber now>

This sounds like a great CD, though I don’t own it:
catholicmusicnetwork.com/cmn_cd_detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=50512&REFERER=183

I would sing any hymn to DS but my all time fav was “Oh how I love Jesus”

:smiley: :stuck_out_tongue: It’s called “Like A Shepherd” :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

One of Rosie’s favorites is “How Great Thou Art” and another is “Amazing Grace” although I wouldn’t call those exclusively Catholic.

OH! And I forgot the Hail Mary/Gentle Woman song. That often puts her right out.

I had forgotten about Sing of Mary. That is another one of my favorites. I’ll have to get started on singing that one right now. :smiley:

There have been a lot of great recommendations on this thread. Thanks to everyone for their posts! And, especially thanks to consumedconvert for starting it!!! :thumbsup:

Nothing like the obvious :smiley:

I second “Sing of Mary.” Although it wasn’t written by a Catholic, it certainly does qualify as having Catholic theology!

“Silent Night” is also a good choice (my preference would be to sing it in German of course :stuck_out_tongue: )

I just thought of another one that I liked, O Mother of Perpetual Help. I haven’t done that one vocally (or humming) as much lately. But, it is one that usually runs in my mind’s background throughout the day.

Our favorite one was “All you are”:

Where did you get those eyes so blue
They’re from the sky that you passed through
Where did you get that little tear
Did you find that it was waiting for you here

And what about your little nose
He knew you’d need it for the rose
And as for your soft curly ear
He knew there would be songs for you to hear

For all you are and all you’ll be
For everything you mean to me
Though I don’t understand
I know you’re from the Father’s hand

How can it be, that you are you
He thought you up and so you grew
Because you’re mine it must be true
That He was also thinking of me too

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.