Catholic marriage

I know that in a Catholic marriage you want the priest to bless the marriage. We read that Jesus was at the wedding in Cana. Now did he bless or officiate this? What was his connection to this wedding. I don’t believe the Bible goes to much into it.

He “blessed” it by performing his very first miracle at the wedding feast of Cana, turning the water into wine.

Well I’m sure this was not the blessing passed onto the priests for weddings. At least I’ve never heard about them changing water to wine.

In Catholic weddings (or actually any wedding between baptized people) the spouses administer the Sacrament by marrying each other. The priest or deacon is a witness, though he blesses the rings (not sure about other cultural customs that involve blessings) and will bless everybody present (like he does at the end of Mass).

I’m not sure I understand your question. Jesus was a guest at the wedding at Cana.

More properly, Jesus was a witness to the wedding at Cana.

Ok you answered my question. Here’s where I’m coming from. The sacraments to my knowledge were established by Jesus. We follow his version of the wedding. He said no “Bills of divorce” and gave his reasons as that was the way it was supposed to be in the beginning. Marriage is one of the Church’s sacraments so I would think the Bishop as in the case of the Absolution bestow upon the priest the blessing of the marriage as absolution is a passed down linage. That was my thinking maybe that’s not the way it is.

No. The Catholic Church recognizes two Sacraments can be licitly performed outside the Catholic Church, and even by lay people: Baptism and Matrimony*.

If two non-Catholics are married by a Justice of the Peace, the marriage would be considered valid unless their non-Catholic party’s religious community considered it invalid.

NOTE: I don’t think this is the case for Eastern Catholics, only Latin Catholics. Eastern theology requires a priest.

Not only valid, but if the non-Catholics are baptized it is sacramental. Unbaptized people can and do marry validly - these are called natural marriages.

But it seems like the OP is talking about faculties. Priests and deacons do have to be granted permission to do things by their bishops (or other bishops if travelling to a different diocese). Witnessing marriages would be on that list; hopefully a priest or deacon here on CAF can confirm and clarify or expand as necessary. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.