Catholic married with baptist

Hello everyone. If a catholic man marries a baptist woman, the ceremony is celebrated according that neoprotestant rite and not the catholic, is this considered concubinate? Is this catholic man alowed to participate in the catholic eucharistia after been married this way? Thanks.

He would need to get a dispensation from from to be married in the Baptist church. If he has one the marriage is considered valid by the Catholic Church and he will be able to receive the Eucharist.

A Catholic must always celebrate marriage with the approval of the Catholic Church or it will not be a marriage.

Can you tell me more about the dispensation, or where can I find more information about it?
For a dispensation I guess both he and her must be present and agree on it, right?
Thanks.

Sorry I don’t know much about it. I do think both members of the couple would need to be on board (if I’m right you’ll need to do pre cana) but if you speak to your Priest he’ll be able to help you.

Contact your Catholic priest at the parish where you live. A dispensation is approved by the bishop that cares for the parish.

https://www.catholic.com/qa/how-a-catholic-can-marry-in-a-baptist-church

I talked to a priest, dispensation cannot be given nor any form of validation due the nature of the mentioned baptist cult, that is not baptist but a pentecostal sect of Romania. The only way is that she gets catholic baptism and then we celebrate a catholic marriage. She don’t want it, as expected. So, in this desolating situation I’m paying for my past errors, that’s justice and I accept the responsibility. What am I now for the Church? I’m an apostata? I’m still considered a member of the catholic church?

The Catholic Church has canon laws for (1) mixed marriages, between a Catholic an a person validly baptized of a different confession, and a (2) Catholic with an unbaptized person, called disparity of cult.

Permission (given by the bishop) for mixed marriage.
Dispensation (given by the bishop) for disparity of cult.

These may be used with a simple convalidation or a retroactive convalidation for a Catholic that married with a civil ceremony without the approval of the Catholic Church. However, the bishop may not grant this, but it is possible.

CIC (Latin Canon Law)

Can. 1086 §1. A marriage between two persons, one of whom has been baptized in the Catholic Church or received into it and the other of whom is not baptized, is invalid.
§2. A person is not to be dispensed from this impediment unless the conditions mentioned in cann. 1125 and 1126 have been fulfilled.

For eastern Catholics there are different canon law (CCEO).

There has to be more to this story. Catholics validly marry non-Catholics every day.

Well, I explained the case in detail to our local priest and as I say, he tell me that the only way is that she becomes catholic. Maybe it has to do with the fact that before our weeding I had to perform some sort of “new baptism” in a pool before the pentecostal priests and subscribe to their religion, but I had never made a formal act of separation or apostasy from the catholic church, I’m somehow member of both. I know now that this “neoprotestant baptism” menas nothing, that batism is once in life, but I was very confused these years and I got convinced by these heretics. When explaning this to the catholic priest I got the feeling he was angry towards my wife for convince me to take this “so-called baptism” in order to marry her, and therefore he think she should repent and become catholic.
Sorry for my bad english.

However, that is not what canon law says. An acceptable reason for retroactive convalidation (radical sanation) is “return to the sacraments” and can be done even without the cooperation of the non-Catholic, provided that assurance is given of not falling away from the faith and to inform the other of intention to raise the children in the Catholic faith.

CIC (Canon law)

Can. 1161 §1. The radical sanation of an invalid marriage is its convalidation without the renewal of consent, which is granted by competent authority and entails the dispensation from an impediment, if there is one, and from canonical form, if it was not observed, and the retroactivity of canonical effects.

§2. Convalidation occurs at the moment of the granting of the favor. Retroactivity, however, is understood to extend to the moment of the celebration of the marriage unless other provision is expressly made.

Can. 1165 §1. The Apostolic See can grant a radical sanation.

§2. The diocesan bishop can grant a radical sanation in individual cases even if there are several reasons for nullity in the same marriage, after the conditions mentioned in can. 1125 for the sanation of a mixed marriage have been fulfilled. He cannot grant one, however, if there is an impediment whose dispensation is can. 1078, §2, or if it concerns an impediment of natural law or divine positive law which has now ceased.

Can. 1125 The local ordinary can grant a permission of this kind if there is a just and reasonable cause. He is not to grant it unless the following conditions have been fulfilled:

1/ the Catholic party is to declare that he or she is prepared to remove dangers of defecting from the faith and is to make a sincere promise to do all in his or her power so that all offspring are baptized and brought up in the Catholic Church;

2/ the other party is to be informed at an appropriate time about the promises which the Catholic party is to make, in such a way that it is certain that he or she is truly aware of the promise and obligation of the Catholic party;

3/ both parties are to be instructed about the purposes and essential properties of marriage which neither of the contracting parties is to exclude.

If you receive the appropriate dispensation from the Catholic Church then it is a valid marriage and you are considered as having been married in the Church.

I’m wondering if there was some miscommunication because that would be incorrect. Were you maybe talking about taking Eucharist yourself and your marriage with your wife such that he may have been thinking you were asking when she could take Eucharist? Or any other similar miscommunications?

I don’t think he interpreted in such way, but maybe, I don’t know. Anyways I will meet him next week to discuss further this subject.

closed #15

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.