Catholic mayters?

I was directed to this thread and then later this articale on John Foxes “book of Mayrters” and it stated that there were persecutions of Catholics in varous Countries. It was news to me and has sparked my curiousty. Does anyone know anything about this (or any honest websites or books)? Thanks and God bless.

Many martyrs lives are related in the Catholic classic: Butler’s Lives of the Saints. You might want to start there.

Since you have referenced Foxe’s which primarily deals with English Protestants, here’s the other side of the story:

English Confessors and Martyrs (1534-1729)
newadvent.org/cathen/05474a.htm

We’ve had threads like this before, so before anyone gets their shorts in a wad, here’s the disclaimer:

By providing this info, I am not saying that persecution by one group excuses or justifies persecution by another. No one is saying one side were angels and one side were devils. The hallmark of a true historian is balance and an ability to with-hold passing judgement on those who lived in times and under stresses and circumstances that we, in our modern culture can’t possibly have full appreciation for. Thank you.

[quote=Montie Claunch]…it stated that there were persecutions of Catholics in varous Countries.
[/quote]

Yeah, starting in pagan Rome and continuing to this very day.

One of the most written about is the life of St. Thomas More. He really was the Man for All Seasons. A Portrait of Courage by Wegemer is a great read.

The story of Japanese Catholics is also amazing.

St. Max Kolbe

Sorry, this is very random.

in XT.

I would be hard put to name a single country, including the United States where Catholics have not been persecuted at one time or another. Probably more Catholics are being persecuted today than died in the arena in Rome. Persecution does not always involve martyrdom.

This comes as a surprise to you??
The Church is built on the blood of the Martyr’s
10 of the 12 very first Apostles were Martyr’s. Almost all of the first Pope’s were Martyr’s. Christians were being made Martyr’s by Saul before he became St. Paul. Go to the home page of this site, and type in Martyr in the search engine, it’s spelled
M A R T Y R. God bless you on your journey. (there are also what are called White Martyr’s)., they don’t necessairly shed their blood and die for their faith, but they die for their faith just as well. They lead lives that testify to Jesus and all He said and did and taught, their whole life-long, they persevere to the end, (like for example, our dear Pope John Paul the Great.)
There are probably examples of women in China who are murdered for their faith and not wanting to have abortions that are forced on them. In many countries, and even in the United States people are persecuted still for their faith. It even happens in these forums where people come here and say very sick things about us. Thankfully, most of it is stopped by the moderators, but still it happens. I recently read a post where someone said that even Baptism could be done by dogs in the Catholic Church, (sounds like sick persecution to me.) Persecution is done by people you work with, strangers on web sites, in the home, sometimes by one’s own relative’s, it hasn’t stopped. Sometimes it is done in the most sneeky way imaginable, yet still it’s being done.

[quote=allhers]This comes as a surprise to you??
The Church is built on the blood of the Martyr’s
10 of the 12 very first Apostles were Martyr’s. Almost all of the first Pope’s were Martyr’s. Christians were being made Martyr’s by Saul before he became St. Paul. Go to the home page of this site, and type in Martyr in the search engine, it’s spelled
M A R T Y R. God bless you on your journey. (there are also what are called White Martyr’s)., they don’t necessairly shed their blood and die for their faith, but they die for their faith just as well. They lead lives that testify to Jesus and all He said and did and taught, their whole life-long, they persevere to the end, (like for example, our dear Pope John Paul the Great.)
There are probably examples of women in China who are murdered for their faith and not wanting to have abortions that are forced on them. In many countries, and even in the United States people are persecuted still for their faith. It even happens in these forums where people come here and say very sick things about us. Thankfully, most of it is stopped by the moderators, but still it happens. I recently read a post where someone said that even Baptism could be done by dogs in the Catholic Church, (sounds like sick persecution to me.) Persecution is done by people you work with, strangers on web sites, in the home, sometimes by one’s own relative’s, it hasn’t stopped. Sometimes it is done in the most sneeky way imaginable, yet still it’s being done.
[/quote]

I was fully aware of the early persecution. What caught me by suprise was that there were any signifigant persecutions after the Rome. The persucution in refrence that put on by the Protestants during the time immediatly after the reformation. I had never heard of anything less than perfection on their side of the court in school, so to hear that they were doing (from what little I have gathered) the same thing they detested in the inquistion was just socking :eek: . I simply want to look into it what they were doing.

I thought it was 11 out of the 12 apostles were mayrtered. My bad.

Sorry about the bad spelling in the previous posts.

I wasn’t trying to correct your spelling, I just wanted you to be able to look it up correctly is all. :thumbsup:

[quote=Montie Claunch]I was directed to this thread and then later this articale on John Foxes “book of Mayrters” and it stated that there were persecutions of Catholics in varous Countries. It was news to me and has sparked my curiousty. Does anyone know anything about this (or any honest websites or books)? Thanks and God bless.
[/quote]

St. Ignatius, Bishop of the diocese of Antioch was the first martyr to be fed to the lions in the Colliseum about 110 A.D.
St. Polycarp, Bishop of Smyrna was also an early martyr.
St. Justin Martyr was of course a martyr.
You can do a yahoo or goodle search on their names. Also, Eusibius in the 4th century worte the “History of the Church” which documents many early martyrs. You can get from Ignatius Press or Amazon.com.

What caught me by suprise was that there were any signifigant persecutions after the Rome.

Montie, the Church in Mexico underwent great persecution beginning in the 1920’s (Freemasonry very much involved in this persecution); there is still much animosity toward the Church there among the political elites and it was only in the 1990’s the certains restrictions were lifted against Catholic priests. This link will tell you more:

stthomasirondequoit.com/SaintsAlive/id687.htm

I might add, Robert Royal has written an excellent book which I highly recommend entitled “Catholic Martyrs of the Twentieth Century.”

Here are a series of articles by the author based on the book.

catholicherald.com/risearch/search.php?query=martyrs+twentieth+royal&stpos=0&stype=AND

[quote=DavidFilmer]Yeah, starting in pagan Rome and continuing to this very day.
[/quote]

Actually, it started in Judea. St. Stephen was our very first martyr. He was also one of the first deacons.

[quote=Acts 7:58-59]And they stoned Stephen, invoking and saying: Lord Jesus, receive my spirit. And falling on his knees, he cried with a loud voice, saying: Lord, lay not his sin to their charge: And when he had said this, he fell asleep in the Lord. And Saul was consenting to his death.
[/quote]

I visited the Dachau concentration camp a few miles from Munich, Germany. It had a museum which among other things had films of the camp taken by the Nazis themselves. One film showed Catholic priests attended a Mass at the camp. The film was used for propaganda purposes, of course, but the stress clearly shows on the priests’ faces.

There were two thousand Catholic priests sent to Dachau. No doubt many died there.

Another film taken at Auschwitz clearly shows Catholic nuns among the prisoners be taken from the train into the camp.

The most famous and best documented martyrdom of the last thousand years is undoubtedly the case of Joan of Arc. Nearly six hundred years later, the original handwritten transcript of her trial, a document running to several hundred pages, still exists in the French National Library. The transcript is on the internet.

**Andrew Kim Taegon, Paul Chong Hasang and Companions **
[left]

http://www.americancatholic.org/e-News/SOD/images/spacer.gifThis first native Korean priest was the son of Korean converts. His father, Ignatius Kim, was martyred during the persecution of 1839 and was beatified in 1925. After Baptism at the age of 15, Andrew traveled 1,300 miles to the seminary in Macao, China. After six years he managed to return to his country through Manchuria. That same year he crossed the Yellow Sea to Shanghai and was ordained a priest. Back home again, he was assigned to arrange for more missionaries to enter by a water route that would elude the border patrol. He was arrested, tortured and finally beheaded at the Han River near Seoul, the capital.
[/left]

catholics are mytyred because it has been cursed. it has been cursed with the truth. something which installs great fear in people world wide.

Montie, just go to Google or Yahoo and key in “persecution of Catholics” in the search box. You will get over 17,000 hits!

In almost every country where there are Catholics there has been persecution. In the 20th century there have been more persecutions than in the whole of history before then!

Do the search - you will find more information than you can internalize!

Who are the freemasons? and why did they (do they?) hate us?
I heard the name a few times with the kind of thunder going off in the background but, never a what they were.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.