Catholic memes

What do you guys think of a Catholic version of various memes?

I don’t mind them as long as there’s nothing malicious about it. I am partial to pope cat though:

WHat, exactly, is a meme?

Richard Dawking’s disputed theory of memetics?

It is a picture of a cat with a silly caption. Why do they exist? :shrug:

Way less original…

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.400.400/p403x403/528471_118133961669688_866813263_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/c0.0.398.398/p403x403/576839_117740311709053_355038726_n.jpg

Two I like. The top one is Blessed Clemens August Graf von Galen; I know you know who the second one is. :wink:

That one is nice

I think we need to distinguish between “meme” as an academic idea, and “meme” as a popular culture (often internet-based) phenomenon.

Here is a definition of meme, in the academic sense

A meme is "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

An internet “meme” refers to something very different

An Internet memes is a piece of content or an idea that’s passed from person to person, changing and evolving along the way. A piece of content that is passed from person to person, but does not evolve or change during the transmission process is considered viral content

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meme

Internet memes may be based upon a photo or an illustration or video clip which are then doctored by various users to be funny. Be aware, though, that many of them can be offensive.

A popular website which tracks, investigates and chronicles internet memes is

Know Your Meme
knowyourmeme.com/

I miss plain English, like we had pre-internet.

Pope Benedict’s cat, Chico, resides in Germany.
Here’s the meme-inspiring cover of the book about Benedict XVI & Chico:
ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51bGXnC19hL.SL500_AA300.jpg

FAMOUS CAT LOVERS
user.xmission.com/~emailbox/cat_lovers.htm

Some interesting quotes from the MSNBC article that’s linked at that site:

Currently one of the hottest selling tourist mementos in the city is a little cardinal hat for cats that goes for $15 in stores such as Barbiconi, which specializes in clergy robes and accessories. Mahony’s cats both have cardinal hats, gifts given to him during his recent trip to Rome.

Pope Paul VI is said to have once dressed his cat in a feline version of cardinal robes.

Needs Eastern Catholic versions, especially involving liturgical spoons. :smiley:

A meme is "an idea, behavior or style that spreads from person to person within a culture."A meme acts as a unit for carrying cultural ideas, symbols or practices, which can be transmitted from one mind to another through writing, speech, gestures, rituals or other imitable phenomena. Supporters of the concept regard memes as cultural analogues to genes in that they self-replicate, mutate and respond to selective pressures.

In that sense there’s no getting away from the Church.
In art, music, cinema, TV the Church provides instantly recognisable symbols, good bad & ugly.
Soul in distress = goes to church, lights candle.
Death on battlefield, Catholic chaplain giving last rites
Religious persecution = burning heretics, Inquisition
Anti-Christian = crucifix in urine, not old rugged cross in urine; Madonna made of elephant dung, not KJV of dung.

Here’s an example. :slight_smile:

oversized image removed ]

Western philosophy, and all of its children, are basically a construct of Holy Mother Church.

In that respect, even our detractors are driven by mutated Catholic memes, albeit many of them have mutated into pathogens. :frowning:

As an Irishman… I approve of this! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.