Catholic-Methodist Dialogue

Catholic-Methodist dialogue works on joint statement on communion

WASHINGTON (CNS) – Members of the United Methodist-Catholic Dialogue in the United States continued work on a joint statement on the church as communion at a mid-October meeting in Washington. The 30-page draft the theologians are working on is titled “The Church in Each Place and in All Places.” It looks at the nature of the church as a “koinonia” – the Greek term in the New Testament for fellowship or communion – of Christ’s followers. It deals with the biblical and theological foundations of the church as a grace-filled sacramental community. It explores parallels and differences in the way each church understands and structures itself at the local, intermediate and global or universal levels to express and support communion. The document concludes with recommendations outlining what the Catholic and United Methodist churches can do now on the basis of the unity already shared, challenges for the future and proposals on issues to be taken up in future dialogues.

catholicnews.com/data/briefs/cns/20041021.htm

Do you know the purpose of this dialogue? I couldn’t understand from the article.

Lisa N

It will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy?

It will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy? http://rocksmyfaceoff.net/forum/images/smiles/willy_nilly.gif

[quote=Steadfast]It will make everyone feel warm and fuzzy? http://rocksmyfaceoff.net/forum/images/smiles/willy_nilly.gif
[/quote]

If I feel anything warm and fuzzy, I usually break out my can of Nair or my Gillette Quatro.

[quote=Lisa N]Do you know the purpose of this dialogue? I couldn’t understand from the article.

Lisa N
[/quote]

For something less forbiddingly theological: gccuic-umc.org/web/rc_um_dec2002.htm

[quote=Lisa N]Do you know the purpose of this dialogue? I couldn’t understand from the article.

Lisa N
[/quote]

I cam’t be sure as the The Vatican offers only generalities at:
vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/chrstuni/meth-council-docs/rc_pc_chrstuni_doc_20030410_methodist-catholic-dialogue_en.html

but in Australia there seems to be an element of “we are going to be as one” according to one bishop:

Townsville bishop predicts Christian unity surprise

Bishop of Townsville and co-chair of the international Roman Catholic-Methodist dialogue, Bishop Michael Putney, has said he believes firmly that the Christian churches will eventually be one.

In a joint statement with Methodist co-chair Rev Geoffrey Wainwright of Duke University in the USA, he said he is “waiting to be surprised” at how it finally happens.

“It is unfolding before my eyes,” said Bishop Putney. “Where it is going and when it will end I do not know and, in many ways, I do not care. I’m just enjoying the ride.”

The two were speaking on Thursday during a public discussion in Rome.

Dr Wainwright said: “I do believe organic unity is on the horizon, [however] I’m fairly sure it will not be in my lifetime.”

cathnews.com/news/403/93.php

I guess we’ll have to wait for the publishing of the report but apprently things like “common Bibles” have been being discussed for some years now and frankly I don’t get it - I kind of feel some days as if I am being “merged” in increments.

i understand ecumenical dialouge with the orthodox, we share nearly the same faith, but the methodist??? this stuff is a waste of time. especially considering us theologians are involved. they are terrible, look at the rejection of humane vitea. it goes no where because the protestants by definition have no authority; each person is his own pope. so where does this get you? each methodist is free to accept or reject the findings of the commission.

has dialouge with the episcopalians or lutherans got us any closer? what are the fruits? it’s the protestants who have to accept the fullness of the truth, not us.

USCCB

The overall goal of the dialogue between Methodists and Catholics is the full, visible unity of the churches, full communion. This particular round of the dialogue hopes to contribute to this long range goal by developing a common statement on the Church, its unity, its structures, its local and global dimensions, and its mission in the world.

Sounds like pretty wishful thinking, but they’ve been going at it for 30 years - I think some of the Eastern Catholic churches rejoined after a much longer on and off discussion (notwithstanding oat soda’s point, which I pretty much agree with) And there are some areas where cooperation would be useful - occasional political issues or aid. Plus there’s always the chance that some of the Methodist members will be drawn to the fullness of truth in the Church.

I used to be very cynical about people eager to be elected or participate in what seemed to me useless committees, councils, etc. But gradually I came to realize how glad I was to have them sitting through those meetings working for me, rather than have to deal with any of these tedious issues myself. The worst that can usually happen is that the meetings are a waste of time, which is what I expected. But every once in awhile they’ll actually achieve something. So let the people who find fulfillment in committee meetings have their committees.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.