Catholic Movie Reviews

How many Catholics on these forums consult the movie reviews on the USCCB website? I would like to get a poll on this, so tell me either “yes” or “no”

Absolutley not. I still remember the “Passion” and “Brokeback Mountain” Debacles.

FYI - The review for Brokeback Mountain that is on there is not the same review that was originally released.

I go to decent films.

Yes... we do.

Although, you can tell that the reviews are done by different people... some approach the movies from a very conservative viewpoint, and others are more liberal with how they rate them - justifying some things to send an underlying tale a morality.

We don't always follow the ratings because of this... we read the reviews and make judgment calls appropriately...

[quote="Michael_C, post:2, topic:236865"]
Absolutley not. I still remember the "Passion" and "Brokeback Mountain" Debacles.

FYI - The review for Brokeback Mountain that is on there is not the same review that was originally released.

I go to decent films.

[/quote]

What happened?

I do not use the USCCB review website for movies. It's probably terrible to say, but I would rather make up my own mind as to what is good for me or my family to watch. I'm afraid if I read some of the reviews I'd end up rolling my eyes too much. To me, movies are not just about the content of the storyline, but about the direction, the set, the palette, the score, the style and various shots. I have a tendency to love indie films or historical dramas, and these aren't often on the Catholic radar anyhow.

[quote="Sldgman, post:1, topic:236865"]
How many Catholics on these forums consult the movie reviews on the USCCB website? I would like to get a poll on this, so tell me either "yes" or "no"

[/quote]

Neither Decent Films nor USCCB have a particularly, shall we say, extensive selection of movies, whether they're mainstream multiplex titles or the smaller art-house titles. Unlike USCCB, however, at least Decent Films has made a concerted effort to stay practical and relevant whereas USCCB is usually as timely as a rotary telephone.

[quote="Sldgman, post:4, topic:236865"]
What happened?

[/quote]

The outraged response from Catholics forced them to change their rating to morally offensive and the review was rewritten. You can probably google the original review.

I do, but not religiously. The Catholic newspaper I subscribe to print reviews, and I think they are pretty good. Most movies stink these days anyway, so I rarely go.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.