Catholic nephews wedding in anglican church

I wonder if you can help.
My Catholic nephew is marrying an anglican girl in a church of England parish. What are the rules of the Catholic church regarding this situation and what would need to happen to make it a legitimate marriage in the eyes of the Catholic Church.
This will help in deciding whether to attend or not.

Your nephew needs to make an appointment to sit down with his parish priest and discuss his plans to marry.

They will need to attend Catholic premarital preparation, even if marrying in her church. He will have to follow canon law regarding marriage including:

1. Receiving permission for mixed marriage from the bishop. the priest will obtain this permission during premarital preparation

2. Permission is given if the Catholic is shown to not be in danger of defecting from the faith and if the Catholic promises to raise the children Catholic

3. To marry her in her own church, the Catholic needs to obtain a dispensation from form from the bishop. the priest will obtain this during premarital preparation

4. The premarital investigation conducted by the Catholic priest must find no impediment to valid marriage-- for example, a prior marriage of either party, etc.

Thank you
Am I right in thinking that if the laws above are not followed it is not a marriage in the eyes of the Catholic Church.

Correct. As a Catholic he is obligated to follow the marriage laws of the Church and if he does not, the marriage is invalid until and unless he seeks a convalidation in the Catholic Church.

Something to think about.

One of my son’s was married in a civil ceremony and we refused to attend as we are Catholics and tried to raise him in the Faith. This drove a wedge between us and 20 years later it is still there. We have little hope of bringing him back into the Faith and we now have grandchildren we rarely get to see. When another son got married civilly we went and talked to the priest and he told us while making our position clear that we should still attend as we love him and so as not to shut down the lines of communication perhaps forever. We went and still have a good relationship with him.

Love =/= not offending people.

Not to contradict, but rather to help me understand better, I thought a sacramental marriage was one between two Baptised Christians? How does this fit with the non-validity you state above?

[quote="FightingFat, post:7, topic:310605"]
I thought a sacramental marriage was one between two Baptised Christians? How does this fit with the non-validity you state above?

[/quote]

A valid marriage between two baptized people is sacramental.

Offending people just because their religious practices are not the same as yours =/= love.

I am aware of a Catholic man who is the brother of a good friend who was married in a Catholic church to the daughter of an Episcopal rector.

Both priests offciated and the Episcopal preist said the eucharistic prayer on one side of the altar for his daughter and Epscopal attendees. While the Catholic priest did the same for the Catholics.

This was all valid, and done with the ordinaries permission.

[quote="Polycarp1, post:5, topic:310605"]
Something to think about.

One of my son's was married in a civil ceremony and we refused to attend as we are Catholics and tried to raise him in the Faith. This drove a wedge between us and 20 years later it is still there. We have little hope of bringing him back into the Faith and we now have grandchildren we rarely get to see. When another son got married civilly we went and talked to the priest and he told us while making our position clear that we should still attend as we love him and so as not to shut down the lines of communication perhaps forever. We went and still have a good relationship with him.

[/quote]

I have heard the Apologists from Catholic Answers say on the radio several times that it is improper to attend the wedding of a Catholic getting married outside the Church. If I recall, this may even be sinful because it encourages something that is in-fact sinful (unless it has been sanctioned).

[quote="FightingFat, post:7, topic:310605"]
Not to contradict, but rather to help me understand better, I thought a sacramental marriage was one between two Baptised Christians? How does this fit with the non-validity you state above?

[/quote]

A **valid **marriage between the baptized is a sacrament.

A marriage involving a Catholic, contracted outside Catholic form without dispensation, is invalid.

Can. 1059 Even if only one party is Catholic, the marriage of Catholics is governed not only by divine law but also by canon law, without prejudice to the competence of civil authority concerning the merely civil effects of the same marriage.

Can. 1108 §1. Only those marriages are valid which are contracted before the local ordinary, pastor, or a priest or deacon delegated by either of them, who assist, and before two witnesses according to the rules expressed in the following canons and without prejudice to the exceptions mentioned in cann. ⇒ 144, ⇒ 1112, §1, ⇒ 1116, and ⇒ 1127, §§1-2.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.