Catholic? Now, I am not sure

I have seen many debates and in all ones catholics have lost, pretty sad. We don’t have any good debater. The true Church? How if we can’t defend it? james white k’s.o. Catholicism in all debates, so Why be a Catholic?

Your reduction of the Church to the level of a debating team would be a prime target for the third speaker.

You are kidding me?

Catholicism has the most towering of intellectuals in our fold. I’m not sure why you are so fascinated with James White nor why you think he "ko"s anyone.

What Catholic authors have you read that you found lacking?

Augustine? Aquinas? Catherine of Siena? Ignatius of Loyola? Therese of Liseux? Newman?

Or Kreeft? Sheed? Belloc? Keating? Newman? John Paul II? Benedict XVI? Hahn? von Hildebrand? Hardon? Sheen?

Please give us the criteria by which you judge the faith.

History has been waiting several hundred years now for the non-catholic who could answer Thomas Aquinas. It’ll be a long wait…

??? Am I kidding? Brother, this is sad, you think I am kidding?

Well, Why aren’t they debating? they have william lane craig, james white, you are kidding me? our priests are not clever. Always That I see a priest or another catholic being asked about our faith, they can’t answer well but look at William Lane Craig, look james white woow.

anyone? I don’t know he has a lot of debates but He does ko all catholics.

Books books books, I am talking about debates, anybody could write a book, I want to see arguments to be defended.

Augustine? Aquinas? Catherine of Siena? Ignatius of Loyola? Therese of Liseux? Newman?

Look. If you say you have Truth and you cannot defend it against other views, guess what? nobody will belive your truth.
[/quote]

Ask your question - begin your debate here - you will get answers

I am on the fence between protestant and accepting Catholicism.

I have not checked out the debates, but reading Ignatius on the Eucharist has me near surrender.

I know this - and I am a former anti-Catholic - the Catholic church lacks nothing, it’s the extra stuff that gets in the way for me - and I am learning much of that is not essential.

Just because one does not adequently represent the faith, it does not make the total truth any less true. You find there is a lack of skilled apologists? Go be one. Our Church has a treasure trove of answers and resources to strengthen your faith and defend it against others. Those apologists may not have had the answers then (an important thing to always remember), but you and I both know there are resources that have more than adequently addressed their concerns. What is it exactly about there being a lack of qualified apologists in your opinion that makes Catholicism suddenly something you want to throw the towel for?

Jaime, don’t let those guys bring you down.

Father Mitch pacwa has some really good debates against Protestant debaters were he mops the floor with them.

People like Tim staples, Scott Hahn, dr. Brant pitre all have great stuff.

You speak Spanish, theirs a former Pentecostal pastor from Puerto Rico that’s amazing. His name is Fernando Casanova. I love his stuff.

Watch his talks.
m.youtube.com/results?q=fernando%20casanova&sm=1

Also at the bottom of my post is a book I made, check it out.

If I may recommend a book. It’s by dr. Brant pitre. The book is called Jesus and the roots of the Eucharist. It’s a great book.

At the bottom of my post is a book which I made. It’s an apologetic book. In there is a section dedicated to the Eucharist, and a particular part to the book of dr. Pitre.

*No one *who argues from a standpoint of Scripture being the sole authority on matters of the faith should be taken seriously to begin with.

I found your booklet very intriguing is it ok if I use it as a resource for my apologetic efforts when I need them?

Absolutely, let others use it too.

I hope it helps you.

If you run into any issues let me know.

Jesus Christ is King of the Universe.
He Himself instituted the Catholic Church.
This is not a debatable point.
It’s fact.
All the other Christian denominations have left or rejected the true church.
***Let them explain themselves. ***

Kidding? Nah. Just misled… :shrug:

our priests are not clever.

May God save us from priests who are merely ‘clever’… :wink:

Always That I see a priest or another catholic being asked about our faith, they can’t answer well

Look harder. Here, among other places… :thumbsup:

Books books books, I am talking about debates, anybody could write a book, I want to see arguments to be defended.

Debates debates debates… you need to be talking about arguments (not debates) – anybody can debate. You need to read arguments as they’re defended properly… :wink:

Look. If you say you have Truth and you cannot defend it against other views, guess what? nobody will belive your truth.

Fair enough. Yet, if an arbitrary person cannot argue the Truth, that doesn’t mean that Truth is wrong – it just means that this person is unable to argue well. Go look for another person who can argue better…! :rolleyes:

Well, I am a sister, and yes I find it hard to believe someone would consider abandoning the faith for the reasons you describe.

Debate is is not the only, or even primary, method of articulating the faith.

I have never found these people to be compelling.

Does holiness require cleverness? Does truth?

Always? That is a pretty bold statement considering the list I gave you previously.

Can you give a specific example of a teaching of the faith inadequately defended in your opinion? We can discuss it here.

That is pretty hilarious. So I take it you have not read any of the authors I put forward?

Can you defend the position that debates are superior to books, and on what grounds? What proof?

So what teaching do you doubt?

Satan was clever. Satan quoted scripture to his own purposes. I don’t think “clever” is the criteria we should be using. Form over substance.

I’ve read arguments, they look good in paper but what happens in a debate? you get it?

Well show me who that person is that can argue better? Chesterton is not here.
Don’t anyone get angry, I am just sad because I can’t defend my faith, nobody can and cults and liberalism and anticatholicism go ahead

Then you have at your disposal a really good list of authors to start reading.

What has your formation been to this point? How have your learned the faith? How muchn bible study have you done with a good Catholic bible study such as Ignatius, Navarre or commentaries such as Collegveill or Haydock?

No.I’ve read some books but not bible study such as Ignatius, Navarre or commentaries such as Collegveill or Haydock

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.