Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nun?

A nun running a hospice helped a man lose his virginity.
telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/27/nvirgin27.xml

Why does the church allow her to remain a sister of the church? How is she not booted out of her “profession”? She is clearly acting against church teachings.

“I know that some people will say ‘You are a Christian foundation. What are you thinking about?’. But we are here for all faiths and none,” she [Sister Frances] said.
“It is not our job to make moral decisions for our guests. We came to the conclusion that it was our duty of care to support Nick emotionally and to help ensure his physical safety.”

shrugs

Please come, Lord Jesus. :frowning:

This wasnt a Catholic nun. She was Anglican.

It never says in the article what denomination the hospice is, or what denomination the “Sisters” are. My guess is that they’re probably Anglicans, given that it seems to be taking place somewhere in Britain.

Sister Frances Dominica. She is Church of Scotland, part of the Anglican Communion.

Many Anglicans do not see a problem with pre-marital relations.

Oh! An ANGLICAN or some sort of PROTESTANT nun! I didn’t know those existed. I am not Catholic, but very Catholuc friendly. When I saw this, I was in shock. I couldn’t see how the church was allowing her to work and run an organization in the name of the church.

I will say that something was on a BBC satellite radio station that showed a Catholuc adoption organization not allowing homosexual couples to adopt. When pushed about it, the woman just said it was against church teachings and they referred them to agencies who could help them. I was like-WHAT? Why didn’t she say, it’s wrong and we don’t refer sin for adopting children. How does the church accept this sending on to other agencies? What?

Sorry to tell you, but this kind of thing happens all the time. It doesn’t always, however, become public knowledge.

Kinda like the difference between the private lives of Kennedy and Clinton. There was a time when people would rather not know.

Yes, there some High Church Anglicans that have religious orders of monks and nuns, although they are mostly just copies of Catholic religious orders (for example, there are Anglican Franciscans and such).

It is no problem, everyone makes mistakes. When this appeared in the News Forum I was taken back as well until I Googled her and found she wasnt Catholic.

I will say that something was on a BBC satellite radio station that showed a Catholuc adoption organization not allowing homosexual couples to adopt. When pushed about it, the woman just said it was against church teachings and they referred them to agencies who could help them. I was like-WHAT? Why didn’t she say, it’s wrong and we don’t refer sin for adopting children. How does the church accept this sending on to other agencies? What?

Catherine, the only thing I can say is that the Church is so large that it is hard for the Holy See to act as a police force for every Catholic organization and cleric. This is an issue that should be handled by the local Bishop, although many in North America and Europe will simply remain indifferant to such things to avoid controversy, and if they do act, we probably wont hear about it.

I started to say: it would hardly have been a surprise if she HAD belonged to one of our religious orders. Certainly distressing, but not at all surprising.

Indeed. The only thing that alerted me to the idea that this Sister might not be Catholic was “The hospice staff, after taking advice from a solicitor, the clergy and health care professionals, decided to help him.”. While we know full well that many priests are liberal and might agree to such a thing, I highly doubt that she would have recieved official support, even if these clergymen refused that support out of fear of controversy rather then faith in the truth of Catholic morality.

But it is highly distressing even if these are Anglicans.

I think it is disgusting that a person would get a prostitute just to have [filthy, lustful, physical-pleasure-only] sex just for the sake of experiencing it before they die. His circumstance of his illness is is very sad but still. That’s not exactly on the same plane as “I want to see the grand canyon before I die.” If he wanted to have a kid, before dying would he do that too? Maybe I am being too harsh, but I see his action as disgusting.

CatherineofA

Catholic Nun Helping Man Lose His Virginity: Catholic Church Lets Her Remain a Nun?
A nun running a hospice helped a man lose his virginity.
telegraph.co.uk/news/main…/nvirgin27.xml

Why does the church allow her to remain a sister of the church? How is she not booted out of her “profession”? She is clearly acting against church teachings.

Perhaps a clue might be the fact it was recorded in the press.

That is not the most reliable source of information…

I work for the Criminal Justice System. I recall an incident some years ago when I read a very interesting court case in a ‘reliable’ daily press. Later the same day, a colleague asked me if I read about the court case I had attended. I told him no, he found the article for me.It was EXACTLY THE SAME ONE I had read earlier.

I argued the point with him that was NOT THE CASE I HEARD.

He assured me it was. on checking it was one and the same case. The facts reported in the Press bore no resemblence to what happened in fact. It was so dissimilar that I did not evenr recognise it as a report of the same case.

On that I rest my case :thumbsup:

You are right to think so.

I might also add that this is a strange thing for a nun (even an Anglican nun) to do for a dying person: help him commit a mortal sin, for which he is certainly not repentant, before he dies.

I hear ya. About 10 years ago some friends of mine became involved in an event that made news headlines and front pages in our area. I heard the whole story of what had happened from themselves before I even opened a paper or turned on the television to see or hear a report on it. Almost literally point-for-point the reports had most all of it wrong. Names, dates, everything.

Originally Posted by Sixtus
Perhaps a clue might be the fact it was recorded in the press.

That is not the most reliable source of information…

I work for the Criminal Justice System. I recall an incident some years ago when I read a very interesting court case in a ‘reliable’ daily press. Later the same day, a colleague asked me if I read about the court case I had attended. I told him no, he found the article for me.It was EXACTLY THE SAME ONE I had read earlier.

I argued the point with him that was NOT THE CASE I HEARD.

He assured me it was. on checking it was one and the same case. The facts reported in the Press bore no resemblence to what happened in fact. It was so dissimilar that I did not evenr recognise it as a report of the same case.

On that I rest my case

LillyM wrote:I hear ya. About 10 years ago some friends of mine became involved in an event that made news headlines and front pages in our area. I heard the whole story of what had happened from themselves before I even opened a paper or turned on the television to see or hear a report on it. Almost literally point-for-point the reports had most all of it wrong. Names, dates, everything.

You were lucky that was all there was.

The media likes buzz words and journalistic expressions for emotive effect. A nun or 'someone between jobs’could be described as ‘Jobless’. A young person ‘Yob’. An innocent person who has not been tried yet-a ‘thug’, a group of people, ususally young ones ‘hooligans’. Small wonder society adopts these judgmental and often erronious names!

It is also popular for the media to add bits, and take bits away not actually telling lies, but just poetic licence to spice up the story a bit, to make it sound more plausible and interesting reading.

Trust me, I have seen so many criminal cases misrepresented. Sometimes ‘the facts’ are so plain boring, routine and ordinary that if presented as they are, no one would bother to show any interest, much less so pay for it.

But in sexing up stories, does mean that nuns end up getting accused of the most vile things. I am not saying it did not happen, I simply do not know, neither do you. We were not there. I would ‘read all about it and take it with a pinch of salt’:stuck_out_tongue:

Both of these statements are false. The Church of Scotland is not part of the Anglican Communion, but is Presbyterian (which means that the Queen switches from Anglican to Presbyterian when she crosses the Tweed–seriously!). And the link you cite does not say that she is Church of Scotland, but that her grandfather was (in fact he was an elder). This link says that she is now an Anglican, and a member of an Anglican religious order, All Saints Sisters of the Poor. So you made two false statements that added up to a true one! She is not CoS and the CoS is not Anglican, but she is Anglican.

Many Anglicans do not see a problem with pre-marital relations.

Sadly, that is true. In all fairness, though, she didn’t say that what the young man did was OK but that it wasn’t her job to get in his way. This may or may not reflect that she actually thought what he did was OK.

Edwin

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.