Catholic Online: President Obama, an Enemy of Catholic Unity

Catholic Online: President Obama, an Enemy of Catholic Unity
By Thomas Peters
6/17/2010
catholic.org/politics/story.php?id=36987

Maybe the Church will take a stronger stand by letting supporters of Mr. Obama and his Abortion support Crowd know that they will Excommunicate themselves from the Church if they give support or vote for these radical leftist. The way Pope Eugene IV did in 1435 against those who participated in the Slave trade allowing them to Excommunicate themselves.

"The first point to understand is that Obama knows about the debate Catholics are having over him.

That’s why he usually talks only to Catholics who share his agenda. He has been careful to ensure that the terms of his debate with Catholics have always been on his terms. He sends CHA a video and gives Sr. Keehan a pen because he knows that these individuals chose to follow him instead of the bishops. So he makes a place at his table for them and rewards what he sees as their loyalty.

Obama is also keenly aware of his critics, and keeps careful watch over who is opposing his efforts. Obama knew by the end of the healthcare debate, that the bishops were an obstacle to passage of the bill, perhaps even the main obstacle, and he knew this as well. Yet he does not reach out to them. He simply, determinedly, strips them of their institutional allies. He supports those who dissent from them publicly. He gives the politicians who they criticize places of power in his administration.

More to the point in this message, he speaks of the “courage” of those in CHA who lobbied for his health care bill (courage against what? why the opposition of the bishops, of course!). He calls the passage of the bill a “major victory . for the most vulnerable among us” (this coming from the most pro-abortion President in history). This is a particularly stinging line to critics of the health care bill, such as the bishops - who opposed a bill that they were prone to accept otherwise, precisely because they believed (as I do) that it will end up harming the “most vulnerable” unborn (and elderly) among us.

Finally, he says to Sr. Keehan and the CHA, that in passing his bill, they “did so in a way that protects your long-standing beliefs.” In other words, he supports their claim that being Catholic doesn’t mean you have to be obedient to the authority of the bishops or avoid publicly scandalizing the faithful. Obama, I don’t think it is an exaggeration to say, thinks he can interpret what it means to be Catholic better than the bishops when they draw upon two thousand years of tradition.

Obama’s actions are therefore directly harmful to Catholic unity because not only does he not believe in the unity provided by the bishops of the Church, he doesn’t think Catholics ought to be unified by their bishops, either."

Well written piece. It seem that Obama only seeks advice and counsel from disenting Catholics. :frowning:

[quote="Canto, post:2, topic:202183"]
Well written piece. It seem that Obama only seeks advice and counsel from disenting Catholics. :(

[/quote]

Yes, BO is a true enemy of the Church and has no regard for unborn life.

I think the article is one of the silliest pieces written recently. The author should interview Alexia Kelley and Ray LaHood, two anti-abortion members of the administration.

That is, after the author considers Sonia Sotomayor, the parochial school graduate of my high school now on the Supreme Court. And, it is well known in this area that the cardinal and the president are on good terms.

Are we so self-involved that every action taken by a public official which has some type of effect on Catholicism is viewed as an affront to or a benefit to our religion? Running the country is not all about any religion.

It can be stated that the president's views differ from Catholic orthodoxy. But is he an enemy of Catholic unity? By no means. We have to handle that on our own.

And, the president surely unified Catholics by getting the majority of their votes for his presidency.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:4, topic:202183"]
I think the article is one of the silliest pieces written recently. The author should interview Alexia Kelley and Ray LaHood, two anti-abortion members of the administration.

That is, after the author considers Sonia Sotomayor, the parochial school graduate of my high school now on the Supreme Court. And, it is well known in this area that the cardinal and the president are on good terms.

Are we so self-involved that every action taken by a public official which has some type of effect on Catholicism is viewed as an affront to or a benefit to our religion? Running the country is not all about any religion.

It can be stated that the president's views differ from Catholic orthodoxy. But is he an enemy of Catholic unity? By no means. We have to handle that on our own.

And, the president surely unified Catholics by getting the majority of their votes for his presidency.

[/quote]

Beau, it is an understatement to say that Obama's views "differ from Catholic orthodoxy". On the issue of the sanctity of life (no small issue) it can be said that Obama's views are diametrically opposed to the Church's and further, that by continuing to promote his abortion rights agenda, he is underming the Church's efforts to promote the sanctity of life. On the other hand, he has given us an opportunity to see which Catholics are truly in line with Church teaching on the sanctity of life - the ones who voted for him are not. So he did clarify things for the Church - he showed how much a need there is to educate the Catholics who don't understand how important it is to vote according to pro-life principles.

Ishii

[/quote]

And then further unified them against him by overturning the Mexico City Policy as one of his first acts.

[/quote]

That was a good thing?

[quote="Nordar, post:7, topic:202183"]
That was a good thing?

[/quote]

Yes! I was one of the majority of Catholics who voted for him.

He won the election. Tough noogies, y'all.

Just because the man won the Catholic Vote doesn't make him a uniter. Barack Obama is the Greatest Divider this country has ever seen. Most of my Catholic family (mom's side is not Catholic) also voted for him, but they also are not willing to see his faults which are patently obvious to the blindest man.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:8, topic:202183"]

[/quote]

Hiyas:)

But would you vote for him again...knowing his pro-abortion agendas?

Tough noogies, y'all.

[/quote]

And to all the dead babies too?

54% voted for him, meaning 46% didn't. Not a massive majority by any means. Mind you he shouln't have recieved even one Catholic vote. The Church has spoekn infalibly on abortion which is an intrinsic evil. I can't think of any other intrinsic evils either side supported.

[quote="lauraannj, post:9, topic:202183"]
Just because the man won the Catholic Vote doesn't make him a uniter. Barack Obama is the Greatest Divider this country has ever seen.

[/quote]

easily said but unverified.

[quote="lauraannj, post:9, topic:202183"]

Most of my Catholic family (mom's side is not Catholic) also voted for him, but they also are not willing to see his faults which are patently obvious to the blindest man.

[/quote]

I see his faults.

[quote="Canto, post:11, topic:202183"]

54% voted for him, meaning 46% didn't. Not a massive majority by any means. Mind you he shouln't have recieved even one Catholic vote.

[/quote]

easily said, but not exactly Catholic dogmne.

[/quote]

And tough to the unborn as well.

Ishii

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:13, topic:202183"]

[/quote]

Easily said, but difficult to convince Catholic voters enamored of "the one" that his radical pro-abortion stance should disqualify him. No Catholic should have voted for him, because of his abortion stance alone. Whatever else his virtues are (and I can't think of any) the abortion issue should have disqualified him. Oh well, I guess for some, protecting the sanctity of life is just another issue down the list, perhaps somewhere between gay rights and raising taxes on the rich. How very sad.

Ishii

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:13, topic:202183"]

[/quote]

According to the Catechism (CCC 2272) "Formal cooperation in an abortion constitutes a grave offense". Informal cooperation, such as voting for those who want to kill even more children, would appear to be infromal cooperation.

CCC 2256 - Citizens are obliged in conscience not to follow the directives of civil authorities when they are contrary to the demands of the moral order. "We must obey God rather than men" (Acts 5:29).

How can a Catholic vote for somone who is in oposition to the moral order esp. the infalible teaching on abortion.

CCC 2258 - God alone is the Lord of life from its beginning until its end: no one can under any circumstance claim for himself the right directly to destroy an innocent human being.

If a politican said - a woman should have the choice to terminate her pregnancy - Can a Catholic vote for that person?

If a politican said - a woman should have the choice to terminate her todler - Can a Catholic vote for that person?

If a politican said - a woman should have the choice to terminate her teenager - Can a Catholic vote for that person?

The life of a human begins at conception - it's a scientific fact.

I thought this thread was on Catholic unity. What makes folks so self-absorbed to think that political actions are aimed at Catholics?

[/quote]

By his fruits, we shall know him. Obama unified Catholics-you say?
Do you honestly believe Christ would say Obama bears good fruit, and unified Catholics?

Matthew 7:13-23

13 "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the road broad that leads to destruction, and those who enter through it are many.
14 How narrow the gate and constricted the road that leads to life. And those who find it are few.
15 "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves.
16 By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?
17 Just so, every good tree bears good fruit, and a rotten tree bears bad fruit.
18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a rotten tree bear good fruit.
19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
20 So by their fruits you will know them.
21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name? Did we not drive out demons in your name? Did we not do mighty deeds in your name?'
23 Then I will declare to them solemnly, 'I never knew you. Depart from me, you evildoers.'

**Do you honestly believe Obama is doing the Will of the Father in Heaven?
---Start with one of his first moves-the Mexico City Policy (our tax dollars for abortion outside our borders).

"Good Man" believes you?

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn **

[quote="Canto, post:16, topic:202183"]
...The life of a human begins at conception - it's a scientific fact.

[/quote]

Father Vincent Serpa, here at CAF in "Ask an Apologist" has stated that the soul is present at conception. The 2 cells united (sperm and egg) at the same time as the soul is infused-these 3 are present at conception.

The soul is what makes the baby "live" and "grow."

When the soul leaves the body-it then dies.

God comes in 3's. Isn't this so cool-the 3 at Conception. So many 3's as in the Trinity!

Father Vincent Serpa has also explained in "Ask an Apologist" how living plants and animals too have a soul-different than ours (not in the image and likeness of God). It is God's Infusion of a soul-that makes them also live and grow. When the soul leaves the plant or animal-it dies.

Rocks and minerals do not have a soul. They do not live nor grow.

Satan knows this too.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You!
Love, Dawn

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:17, topic:202183"]
I thought this thread was on Catholic unity. What makes folks so self-absorbed to think that political actions are aimed at Catholics?

[/quote]

Those who see with the eyes of Faith can see it...
...am able also to anticipate what's coming.

It is the self-absorbed who do not defend the Church, nor the Holy Faith-and continue to defend the "ways of the world"-AKA the "ways of the Obama Administration," who is using "wayward Catholics" to further his/their agenda is all.

Like the Saints of our times, many need to spiritually "Wake from their Spiritual Slumber."

Some never will.

God Bless.
+Jesus, I Trust In You.
Love, Dawn

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.