Catholic philosophers since the 17th century

Are there any Catholic philosophers since the 1600’s who weren’t Thomists? The only one I can think of is Descartes. Maybe some of you can think of some? :slight_smile:

Maybe Wittgenstein would count since he had a Catholic burial. But he’s not the greatest example IMO.

Pascal, Edith Stein, Nicolas Rescher, Charles Taylor ,James Ross (kind of not a Thomist), Pierre Duhem (more of a scientist, but he anticipated confirmational holism).

Emmanuel Mounier, Gabriel Marcel, Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, Karol Wojtyla, Joseph Ratzinger.

Duquesne University was a center of phenomenology and existentialism for a time, you can find plenty of non-Thomist Catholic philosophers out of there.

Wow. How could I not think of some of these guys? :doh2:

Wojtyla is considered by many to be a Thomist, albeit not a traditional neoscholastic. I also think of Ratzinger as a theologian who engages in dialogue with different philosophies rather than a philosopher, although he definitely isn’t a Thomist.

Duquesne University was a center of phenomenology and existentialism for a time, you can find plenty of non-Thomist Catholic philosophers out of there.

I did not know that. :slight_smile:

Not to forget Fr Frederick Copleston, who wrote the definitive history of philosophy.

It would be difficult to classify LW as a Catholic, let alone a Catholic philosopher.

Depends how far you stretch the boundaries, since he was buried a Catholic and criticized positivism.

But in actuality I completely agree with you.

I don’t think Pascal was a Thomist. But he was a brilliant Catholic philosopher and his *Pensees *is well worth looking into.

Nicolas Malebranche, Casimir Ubaghs, Antonio Rosmini-Serbati, Vincenzo Gioberti, Giambattista Vico, Louis de Bonald and Joseph de Maistre are a few.

Oh, and I will also mention Bernard Bolzano.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.