Catholic piano musician question

hi there – i have been playing occasionally for masses in the last few years. I would like to purchase some catholic songbooks – songs that can be used for preludes, an instrumental piece, etc…

do any of you have any suggestions or recommend websites where I can purchase these? I’ve been googling and haven’t found anything so far.

Thanks…

You should be able to purchase something from directly from OCP.

To add to what Fermat said...my brother used to be the music director at my church. He played the piano. He purchased several large 3-ring binders that contained the complete set of piano and guitar accompaniment music published by Oregon Catholic Press (OCP). Google 'OCP' and their web site will come up.

thanks – I do have the ocp binders, but wangted some piano instrumental solo songbooks from some of the composers such as haas, farrell, hurd, haugen, also did want music from jeanne cotter also.

Although my brother is no longer living, I am still friends with many of the choir members at his former parish. If you'd like, I get speak with some of them and see if they can provide information to help you find those books. I can easily put you in touch with them if you want. Just let me know. Take care.

Victor -- my condolences on the loss of your brother. Your offer of assistance is so kind. I did go to OCP and found some music, and I also did some thinking and decided that my improvisation skills are sufficient that I do not need extra music....but thank you very much for your kind offer.

Elizabeth, if you do decide that you need some piano music, try GIA. They have some collections of pieces by the “pop” composers of music for church use.

I would avoid OCP at all costs. Their publications are full of theological errors and poorly-arranged music oriented toward guitarists of the lowest caliber. I highly recommend either the St. Michael's, Vatican II, and Adoremus Hymnals for authentically Catholic music.

I do understand about the theological challenges etc. unfortunately I’m not in a position to challenge the status quo. It is a matter of concern and prayer. I am quite traditional and prefer hymns to broadway show tunes. It is my prayer this will change in the future. Until then I’m dealing with it the best I can.

Have you looked into getting books which are for voice and piano, but can just play the vocal line on the piano so that it can be used as an instrumental? Some arrangements will also include the vocal lines in the accompaniments.

I have the following books that you might want to look up, which I think some of the pieces can be used as instrumentals. I looked at a few and some had the vocal lines already in the accompaniments. Others, you would just have to include yourself.

My repertoire is more classically based as that is what I'm trained in doing, so keep that in mind. I don't really have much in repertoire for contemporary music, but I think some of them would sound very nice on piano.

1. "Ave Maria - Vocal Album with settings from the 16th to the 20th century for 1-4 Voices and Piano" - Publisher: Schott Edited by Lydia Abramova (The title might also be in German "Vokalalbum mit Vertonungen aus dem 16. bis 20. Jahrhundert fur 1-4 Singstimmen und Klavier")

This has a boat load of different settings to the "Ave Maria". Just be aware that some of the pieces in the book, although religious in content, may not be appropriate for mass, especially four of the pieces which are from operas which are designated in the table of contents. (Technically shouldn't be used as they are from secular works)

1. "Ave Maria and Other Great Sacred Solos - 41 songs for Voice and Keyboard" Publisher: Dover Publications Edited by Rollin Smith

This one includes a Topical Index for every piece in the book. Ie. Adoration and Praise, Christmas, Communion, Consolation,, Easter, General, Lent and Holy Week, New Year, Palm Sunday, Prayer and Supplication and Virgin Mary

1. "Soloists Practical Library of Sacred Songs" - Collected and Edited by Richard D. Row Publisher: Carl Fischer

Hope it helps.

Thank you sarabande. I will order those.

[quote="Elizabeth779, post:6, topic:298030"]
Victor -- my condolences on the loss of your brother. Your offer of assistance is so kind. I did go to OCP and found some music, and I also did some thinking and decided that my improvisation skills are sufficient that I do not need extra music....but thank you very much for your kind offer.

[/quote]

If you want some inspiration for piano improvisation of sacred hymns you could look into this cd. amazon.com/Sacred-Improvisations/dp/B0016N15M2/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1347505052&sr=1-2&keywords=Sacred+improvisation

I am sorry there are no samples (it appear the cd actually is suppose to be sold from this site.

Anyways, his piano improvs are just beautiful.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.