Catholic Politicians

Beside, from what I've heard, Paul Ryan and Rick Santorum, who would you identify as faithful Catholic politicians (as opposed to Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Mario Cuomo, Kathleen Sebelius [is she a politician or just an Obama puppet?], et al).

In US politics, Catholic and politician are mutually exclusive. The platforms of the two parties make it impossible for a Catholic to, in good conscience, belong to either.

[quote="Jerusha, post:2, topic:281324"]
In US politics, Catholic and politician are mutually exclusive. The platforms of the two parties make it impossible for a Catholic to, in good conscience, belong to either.

[/quote]

So Rick Santorum is not a good Catholic?

He may be a very devout Catholic, but he is in error His support for cutting programs for the poor and tax cuts for the wealthy doesn't cut it.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=666759 Abortion and birth control are not the only issues.

[quote="jerome_ky, post:1, topic:281324"]
Beside, from what I've heard, Paul Ryan and Rick Santorum, who would you identify as faithful Catholic politicians (as opposed to Nancy Pelosi, Joe Biden, Mario Cuomo, Kathleen Sebelius [is she a politician or just an Obama puppet?], et al).

[/quote]

John Boehner, the Speaker of the House. Darrel Issa and Duncan Hunter are Representives in my area that are also faithful Catholics.

I don’t know if this is what you’re thinking of, but Matt Santini, the mayor of my town, goes to my church and teaches religious classes for the youth. His daughter plays guitar in our choir sometimes.

[quote="Jerusha, post:2, topic:281324"]

[/quote]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that in America a politician does not have to belong to one of the "two parties" you reference above

That being the case, it may STILL be possible for a person to be a politician AND a good Catholic.

Just nit-picking a little...

Peace
James

[quote="Jerusha, post:4, topic:281324"]
He may be a very devout Catholic, but he is in error His support for cutting programs for the poor and tax cuts for the wealthy doesn't cut it.forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=666759 Abortion and birth control are not the only issues.

[/quote]

While I'm not a fan of Santorum, and I support social welfare programs and I think the wealthy in this country don't pay enough in taxes, these are matters of prudential judgment. As a politician, I reject Santorum for some of these positions. As a fellow Catholic, I give him the benefit of the doubt that he truly cares for the poor and simply disagrees with me about how to go about it, because as Catholics, we are obligated by the teachings of the Church to care for the poor, but we can legitimately disagree about how best to do it.

[quote="RyanBlack, post:8, topic:281324"]
While I'm not a fan of Santorum, and I support social welfare programs and I think the wealthy in this country don't pay enough in taxes, these are matters of prudential judgment. As a politician, I reject Santorum for some of these positions. As a fellow Catholic, I give him the benefit of the doubt that he truly cares for the poor and simply disagrees with me about how to go about it, because as Catholics, we are obligated by the teachings of the Church to care for the poor, but we can legitimately disagree about how best to do it.

[/quote]

Good post :thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that in America a politician does not have to belong to one of the "two parties" you reference above

That being the case, it may STILL be possible for a person to be a politician AND a good Catholic.

Just nit-picking a little...

Peace
James

That is a very nice nit to pick. Difficult, but can be done. particularly on a community level.

[quote="jerome_ky, post:1, topic:281324"]

[/quote]

He's not a politician anymore, but Pat Buchanan is a devout Catholic--as a matter of fact, I read that he attends a parish which conducts the Tridentine Mass in the Washington, D.C. area.

[quote="Bklynguy, post:11, topic:281324"]
He's not a politician anymore, but Pat Buchanan is a devout Catholic--as a matter of fact, I read that he attends a parish which conducts the Tridentine Mass in the Washington, D.C. area.

[/quote]

Hmmm, I hope Pat Buchanan is not our model of a devout Catholic.

I was really hoping to hear that there are Catholic politicians that reflect an orthodox point of view more than that Pat Buchanan attends Tridentine Mass or opinions of Rick Santorum. Surely there are Catholic policians that Catholics can vote for without violating our consciences? Or no? I'll give this more time.

While Rick Santorum was serving in the Senate, he was instrumental in reforming Welfare, instituting the Welfare-to-Work program. I've personally seen how people in welfare have benefited greatly from this program and are now working, contributing members to our society.

I admire the fact that Santorum does not believe government should enable the poor, but should help them help themselves.

Not a news article, please read the forum rules posted at the top of this forum

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.