Catholic Prayers

Hi -
I am trying to do a little research on traditional Catholic prayers and how I can support praying them from a Biblical standpoint. I already found a lot of information on The Apostle;s Creed, the Our Father of course, The Hail Mary and the Doxology. I am wondering if there’s things in Scripture to support how the Hail Holy Queen (Salve Regina), as well as any other traditionally Catholic prayer. Just trying to find support for a lot of these prayers through Scripture as I often have discussions with non Catholic Christians about prayer and just want to have backup knowledge. Any and all information would be appreciated :-)…
Thanks in advance!
Heather

Yes there is support, but don’t get caught in the sola scriptura trap.

Everything is not in scripture, nor do the scriptures say it should be.

I fully understand and do not intend to fall in that trap, but just am looking for some scriptural backup to show that Catholicism is not contradictory to Scripture :slight_smile:

Revelation 5, I believe, depicts Mary with a crown of stars in heaven.

A Protestant or nondenominational will protest and say the “woman” who had the son to rule all nations means the nation of Israel and not Mary.

Then Catholic prayers are probably not the first place to start, IMHO. It seems to me the non-Catholic is going to go “vain repetition” first, to which you can reply with info from here. Then it’ll be biblical basis of rosary, which you can find information about here. The thing is, once you get headed down the rabbit hole, at some point you have to take on the solas and the issue of authority to really get somewhere besides “but what about…”–especially in the US, people just seem to think they can pick a denomination like they pick a favorite coffee shop; it’s all about “what fits me best” unless you can get to authority and the foundation of the Church by Christ.

Not all of them, to be sure. Some Protestants (like my mother) generally recognize that things like this can represent multiple things at once, though I don’t know if my mother knows a lot about typology.

I generally see the Woman as Mary (in that she is a crowned Queen after the fashion of the queen-mothers in the old kingdom, and gave birth to Christ, and that her departure to the wilderness seems to reflect the Assumption), the nation of Israel (in that her crown has twelve stars representing the twelve tribes, and that Christ came out of this nation), and the Church (in that the twelve stars can also represent the twelve Apostles, and that she is the means by which Christ comes to rule the nations, and that the Dragon persecutes her).

Here is an interesting article of The Stations of the Cross.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/stations_of_the_cross_date_back_to_the_fourth_century/

It’s revelations 12, not 5. Oops.

Two popes, including JP II, agree it’s Mary.

It is inconsistent to have a male child (Jesus), a dragon to destroy him (Satan), and then a woman that really means a nation.

This won’t answer your original question directly, but here is a reference work that lists many (not all) scripture passages that support many (not all) catholic beliefs. (www.TheBibleCatholic.com)

It has been a work several years in the making for me and is the result of my own search for biblical support of Catholic teaching.

You mention the creed, and towards the end of the site there is an extensive listing of biblical texts that support every word spoken at a typical Catholic Sunday Mass (in ordinary time)

The site is fully reactive for tablets and smart phones and when saved to your desktop will display an app style icon for quick lookup and reference.

It also contains links to other sites (like Catholic Answers) tracts and essays, audio files of Scott Hahn, John Martignoni and others and references with links to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. I hope it will be helpful in your discussions with other non Catholics.

God bless and welcome home!

Are not many Catholic prayers made up of actual quotes from scripture? Is that not support and validation enough? How can a prayer made up of the word of God and in no contradiction of Scripture and Tradition ever be wrong?

Exactly!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.