Catholic Preterist Books

I have read Hahn’s Lambs supper and am going to get Barber’s Coming Soon. I’m trying to find more preterist/partial-preterist books. Preferably written from the heart of the Church. Any preterist/partial- preterist book written by a protestant in an Orthodox (none Catholic confrontatial) manner would suffice too.

As comedian Bill Cosby said, “what’s a cubit?”

OK, I give up, what’s “preterist”? I’ve read both books, but I don’t know this “preterist”
not to mention partial preterist.

I would recommend David Chilton’s book entitled ‘days of vengeance.’ It’s a commentary on the book of Revelation. In this book Chilton argues that the events described in the Apocalypse were fulfilled initially in the fall of Jerusalem in 70 A.D.

It’s definitely not anti-Catholic, in fact, when commenting on Revelation 3:20 Chilton surprisingly states:

“We must take seriously the Biblical doctrine of the Real Presence of Christ in the sacrament of the Eucharist. We must return to the Biblical pattern of worship centered on Jesus Christ, which means the weekly celebration of the Lord’s Supper, as well as instruction about its true meaning.… In Holy Communion we are genuinely having dinner with Jesus, lifted up into His heavenly presence; and, moreover, we are feasting on Him.”

David Chilton, Days of Vengeance: An Exposition of the Book of Revelation (p.138).

Try to get your hands on Scott Hahn’s cd/mp3 set ‘The End.’ You can get it from St. Joseph Communications.

There are two principal schools of preterist thought. They are commonly called partial preterism and full preterism. Preterists disagree significantly about the exact meaning of the terms used to denote these divisions of preterist thought.
Some partial preterists prefer to call their position orthodox preterism, thus contrasting their agreement with the creeds of the Ecumenical Councils with what they perceive to be the full preterists’ rejection of the same. This, in effect, makes full preterism unorthodox in the eyes of partial preterists and gives rise to the claim by some that full preterism is heretical.
Partial preterism is also sometimes called orthodox preterism, classical preterism or moderate preterism.
On the other hand, some full preterists prefer to call their position consistent preterism, reflecting their extension of preterism to all biblical prophecy and thus claiming an inconsistency in the partial preterist hermeneutic.
Sub-variants of preterism include one form of partial preterism which places fulfillment of some eschatological passages in the first three centuries of the current era, culminating in the fall of Rome.
In addition, certain statements from classical theological liberalism are easily mistaken for preterism, as they hold that the biblical record accurately reflects Jesus’ and the Apostles’ belief that all prophecy was to be fulfilled within their generation. Theological liberalism generally regards these apocalyptic expectations as being mistaken, so this view cannot accurately be considered a form of preterism.

Rapture: The End-Times Error That Leaves the Bible Behind by David B. Currie

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.