Catholic priests and marriage

I have been told by my girlfriend that the reason catholic priests cannot get married is that if they break up with their wives that the church will have to pay the way for their ex’s(land, houses etc.) and she also said that years ago priests could marry but the church was worried because of what I just stated and that they would loose money,so they abolished priests getting married. She said that her ex husband who had studied under jusuit priests was told this(he is since fallen away from the church)
She also believes that annulments are a aonther way that the church wants to make money off of us. She will not get an annulment from an ex because of this and I refuse to get married in any other church but the catholic church. So what things are true about her claims??? any???

[quote=btritone]I have been told by my girlfriend that the reason catholic priests cannot get married is that if they break up with their wives that the church will have to pay the way for their ex’s(land, houses etc.) and she also said that years ago priests could marry but the church was worried because of what I just stated and that they would loose money,so they abolished priests getting married. She said that her ex husband who had studied under jusuit priests was told this(he is since fallen away from the church)
She also believes that annulments are a aonther way that the church wants to make money off of us. She will not get an annulment from an ex because of this and I refuse to get married in any other church but the catholic church. So what things are true about her claims??? any???
[/quote]

Her claims are false. Priests don’t get married because they can give threir whole lives to the ministry of souls. I don’t think the Church needs annulment income to survive. After all She was established in poverty. Besides, foxes have dens and birds have nests but the Man who established the Catholic Church had nowhwere to lay His head Matt 8:20 . BTW, read Matt 9:3-6. You my friend are in a state of adultery.

The Church loses a ton of money every year providing annulments. The charge to the person obtaining the annulment is always less than the cost to the Church. In some of the poorer countries, Catholics cannot obtain annulments because the local diocese is too poor to set up a working tribunal.

In some dioceses in the U.S., annulments are free, because the diocese has decided to pay for all the costs instead of just half.

[quote=btritone]I have been told by my girlfriend that the reason catholic priests cannot get married is that if they break up with their wives that the church will have to pay the way for their ex’s(land, houses etc.) and she also said that years ago priests could marry but the church was worried because of what I just stated and that they would loose money,so they abolished priests getting married. She said that her ex husband who had studied under jusuit priests was told this(he is since fallen away from the church)
[/quote]

That’s what he gets for listing to a Jesuit. :stuck_out_tongue:

Priest don’t have time to be married, it would but an unruly burden on their wives. Go talk to some Protestant minister’s wives and see how easy their life is.

And isn’t it a wonderful testimony to Christ that priest’s are celibate?

And after all, the job of the priest more than anything is to stand in as Christ, who’s bride is His Church. I’d wager that if father was married then if his wife would feel second fiddle every time her husband consecrated the hosts.

Just to say it one more time… As if hundreds are not enough.

Married men can be and have been ordained priests in the Catholic Church.

The discipline in the Latin Church is only to ordain celibate men but they do make exceptions and have ordained married men who were converts that worked as ministers/priests (anglican) before converting.

The discipline in the Byzantine Churches is to ordain both celibate and married men.

This is only a discipline and can be change but that does not mean that it should be changed.

[quote=ByzCath]Just to say it one more time… As if hundreds are not enough.

Married men can be and have been ordained priests in the Catholic Church.

The discipline in the Latin Church is only to ordain celibate men but they do make exceptions and have ordained married men who were converts that worked as ministers/priests (anglican) before converting.

The discipline in the Byzantine Churches is to ordain both celibate and married men.

This is only a discipline and can be change but that does not mean that it should be changed.
[/quote]

We do forget don’t we. :o

[quote=btritone]I have been told by my girlfriend that the reason catholic priests cannot get married is that if they break up with their wives that the church will have to pay the way for their ex’s(
. . .
[/quote]

the first scenario would be a good reason, but it is not the reason. for the history of priestly celibacy start with the CA homepage.
the charge for annulments is reasonable, and pays only a portion of the expense for the lawyers who do the actual research and investigation, far less than a civil divorce. Did she pay for that? The actual cost of a complicated annulment investigation can run into the thousands of dollars, but the charge in this diocese is less than $1000, and I can assure you it does not enrich the diocese as the tribunal runs in the red.

that is her excuse, not her reason. her reason is refusal to submit her situation to Church law.

I am on the tribunal in my diocese. I receive no pay for this extra duty. Which helps lower the administrative costs. We actually lose money on annulments. Did she refuse to get a civil divorce because the process cost her money? We have to pay our people too. And in fact we have done it for nothing for those who cannot pay.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.