Catholic priests in military face arrest for celebrating Mass

foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/04/catholic-priests-in-military-face-arrest-for-celebrating-mass/?intcmp=latestnews

The U.S. military has furloughed as many as 50 Catholic chaplains due to the partial suspension of government services, banning them from celebrating weekend Mass. At least one chaplain was told that if he engaged in any ministry activity, he would be subjected to disciplinary action…

…the military installations impacted are served by non-active-duty priests who were hired as government contractors. As a result of a shortage of active duty Catholic chaplains, the government hires contract priests. Broglio said some military bases have forbidden the contract priests from volunteering to celebrate Mass without pay.

“They were told they cannot function because those are contracted services and since there’s no funding they can’t do it – even if they volunteer,” he said…

Catholic priests in military face arrest for celebrating Mass

The President of the United States has finally reached and crossed the “bridge too far” by threatening Catholic priests with arrest if they perform their God-given duties for members of our military during the presidentially initiated fiscal shutdown—even if the priests volunteer to perform these duties without pay.

"John Schlageter, general counsel for the archdiocese*, said any furloughed priests volunteering their services could face big trouble.

“During the shutdown, it is illegal for them to minister on base and they risk being arrested if they attempt to do so,” he said in a written statement"

The first Amendment to our Constitution fobids anyone from violating its prohibition: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;”

After five years of using nearly every means possible to systematically reduce our Country to a ‘third-world status’, our “American Caesar” has decided to ‘cross the Rubicon’ and commit an outrageous act of defiance.

What can we expect Pope Francis and Cardinal Dolan to do? The Catholics in American need leaders who will give a full force pushback against this totalitarianism. Absent of a strong response will direct the President to more drastic attacks. The lost battle over contraception should have been an ‘eye opener’ for the Cardinal and the Pope. However, the fear of losing Church wealth seems to have trumped Church Doctrine.

"Bill Donohue, of the Catholic League, told me he’s not surprised by the decision to furlough Catholic priests.

“In American history there has been no administration more anti-Catholic than the Obama administration,” he said. “For them to deny Catholic men and women the opportunity of the sacraments and to deal with their prayerful vocations is really a stunning statement.”

“Donohue chalked it up to meanness.”

Is the clerical hierarchy weaker than the 90-year-old veterans of WWII who pushed the barricades aside at their National Memorial this week, regardless of the lockout the President ordered?

We shall see very soon.

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.—Dietrich Bonhoeffer

*Archdiocese for the Military Services

foxnews.com/opinion/2013/10/04/catholic-priests-in-military-face-arrest-for-celebrating-mass/#channel=f20d748c19486b8&channel_path=%2Fopinion%2F2013%2F10%2F04%2Fcatholic-priests-in-military-face-arrest-for-celebrating-mass%2F%3Ffb_xd_fragment%23xd_sig%3Df1962a438de1532%26&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.foxnews.com

I think it’s about time for a little civil disobedience don’t you think? I’ll bet there are priests who would call the administration’s bluff on this. Imagine that headline…Priest arrested for Celebrating Mass! Of course rags like the New York Times would bury it on page ten somewhere. :rolleyes:

Peace, Mark

Hail Mary, Full of Grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou amongst women,
and blest is the fruit of thy womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now
and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

St. Michael the Archangel,
defend us in battle.
Be our defense against the wickedness and snares of the Devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou,
O Prince of the heavenly hosts,
by the power of God,
thrust into hell Satan,
and all the evil spirits,
who prowl about the world
seeking the ruin of souls.
Amen.

:angel1: :knight1: :highprayer: :knight1: :angel1:

Sounds like something that would happen in a police state. Threatening a priest for celebrating Mass? We have lost as a nation. :mad:

This is like so many other stories that are circulating, saying that such-and-such could happen because of the shutdown. It’s all speculation and guesswork, mixed with a little vague threatening. Let the priest say Mass. He will not be arrested, because the head honchos of this evil administration know that if they do have him arrested, they will never survive (speaking politically) the wrath that would land on their heads.

I’m confused by the artical. Is the problem that the priests aren’t allowed to celebrate Mass, or that they arent’ allowed on the base at all until they become employees again? If they are allowed on the base, then there’s no excuse for not allowing them to celebrate Mass. That’s a clear violation of their rights. If they aren’t allowed on the base at all, then I can see them being arrested for trespassing, but not for saying Mass.

The problem is that they are government contractors, hired by the government because of a lack of sufficient chaplains in the regular chaplain corps. It is the same as allowing a furloughed employee to come to work voluntarily. Any boss who allowed it could be fired. On the other hand, I would think that an ordinary priest–not federally contracted–might be able to volunteer his services. But I could be wrong about that.

Also, this could have something to do with an earlier article about security clearances. With the shutdown anyone not cleared won’t be any time soon.

The priests can celebrate Mass OFF BASE without facing any consequences until the government is back up and running.

I agree completely with this. Being retired military, it sounds to me as if some military blockheads are doing something very stupid. This will be a public relations disaster for the Administration, and I can guarantee some heads are going to roll for such a narrow, unbending interpretation of the law. Post commanders who push this are going to get nasty letters of reprimand in their personnel files. Masses on all these bases WILL be said this Sunday.

Superior officers who see subordinate officers make decisions that seem devoid of common sense are greatly concerned, reasoning that if the officer makes such an irrational decision in a peacetime matter, how can he be trusted when he is commanding troops in a combat situation. :rolleyes:

I would ignore the warning and do mass anyways. :thumbsup:

You would think, but it’s quite sensational what Americans will put up with in order to get their crumbs from the king’s table.

Heads will roll over this. :frowning:

Don’t delude yourself, no heads are going to roll! Especially since the Democrats and Obama are in control!

Mike

Old news, already (satisfactorily) resolved.

Au contraire my friend. This is what is termed in the military as a SNAFU (situation normal, all f—ed up). Someone in the chain of command has done a dumb, dumb thing. To refuse to let service personnel and their families the right to worship on Sunday, mandatory for Catholics and Jews, is like refusing medical attention to a wounded soldier. The first Amendment to the Constitution protects a person’s right to practice his religion. As for the Obama Administration being behind this tomfoolery is prosperous. They know nothing of this. When they find out that someone is “cutting their throat, politically.” in the eyes of the American public, I promise you there will be Hell to pay. :mad:

Link?

The news is not all that old; the story linked in the OP is from today, although it reads more like an opinion piece than an actual news story.

It’s all Bush’s fault \sarcasm off].

Seriously where are the Catholic Democrats in all this?

‘’

If this came out this morning, you can bet the White House was on it (to use an old Texas euphemism) like a fly on a fresh cow pie. :eek:

Apparently, they’re still waiting to see if there’s actually some news here.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.