Catholic Pronouncements on Scripture

I'm a home schooling dad putting together a high school level scripture course for a few of my children.

I want to spend at least 1 lecture on church pronouncements that relate to scripture and how we should understand and approach scripture, but I cannot locate a good list. Here is what I am looking for.

1. 7 Great ecumenical councils: There are no pronouncements on scriptures per se? Right?

2. Other Dogmatic councils:
    Florence I found some relating to canon
    Trent I found some relating to canon
    Vatican I found great examples
    Vatican II again great examples

Any other councils that had dogmatic declarations on scripture?

1. Papal Encyclicals. So far I have found only these: a. Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter On the Study of Sacred Scripture, Providentissimus Deus, 1893 b. Pope Benedict XV, Encyclical Letter Commemorating the Fifteenth Centenary of the Death of St. Jerome, Spiritus Paraclitus, 1920 c. Pope Pius XII, Encyclical Letter Promoting Biblical Studies, Divino Afflante Spiritu, 1943 d. same above: Human Generis (indirectly)

What am I missing?

1. Pontifical Biblical Commissions. Do these carry official teaching authority weight? If yes, how do I approach this ... Is there a list of critical pronouncements by the PBC?

2. Catechism

3. Any other sources of official catholic teaching on scripture?

Here is a "must" read.

Bible History by Henry G Graham
Where we got the Bible
catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/protestantism/wbible.htm

Thanks for that link. It will be very helpful I can tell by quick speed reading. But my question is more specific. I am looking for a quick survey of all dogmatic or official catholic documents that relate to understanding scripture. I was able to come up with that partial list, and I was hoping someone could build on it.

check around the nearby parishes and see if you can borrow a copy of The New Jerome Biblical Commentary. It's a big book, to say the least. It has a chapter on church pronouncements.

This article expresses the observation that there are fewer such pronouncements than the average person might think. It's not necessary for people to say at their local bible study "I don't know if this is right" because there's small chance of being absolutely wrong.

The way I look at it, in the horizontal dimension, people might simply have different opinions. After personal prayer and study, and discussion, people might actually change their mind and/or deepen their conviction about the meaning of a biblical passage.

But, sometimes people are simply wrong, when they arrive at ideas that conflict with Church teaching. I think everyone in a Bible study group should agree to keep an open mind and to be patient with others, and even to accept some advice. In other words, people shouldn't -- as they are inclined to -- take everything so personally. They should be invested in finding the truth, even if it's something they didn't recognize at first.

Thanks

I know where I can get my hands on Jerome commentary

point of order: The NEW Jerome Biblical Commentary is the name chosen for the second edition of the book. There's a Jerome Biblical Commentary, for sure -- the first edition. You want the NEW JBC for the essay on church pronouncements.

The Dogmatic Constitution on Divine Revelation - Dei Verbum should be your first source on how Catholics approach scripture.

It explains the reason why God gave us scriputure and the place of scripture in the life of individual Christians and the life of the Church.

-Tim-

[quote="stevetim, post:1, topic:320915"]
I'm a home schooling dad putting together a high school level scripture course for a few of my children.

I want to spend at least 1 lecture on church pronouncements that relate to scripture and how we should understand and approach scripture, but I cannot locate a good list. Here is what I am looking for.

1. 7 Great ecumenical councils: There are no pronouncements on scriptures per se? Right?

2. Other Dogmatic councils:
    Florence I found some relating to canon
    Trent I found some relating to canon
    Vatican I found great examples
    Vatican II again great examples

Any other councils that had dogmatic declarations on scripture?

1. Papal Encyclicals. So far I have found only these: a. Pope Leo XIII, Encyclical Letter On the Study of Sacred Scripture, Providentissimus Deus, 1893 b. Pope Benedict XV, Encyclical Letter Commemorating the Fifteenth Centenary of the Death of St. Jerome, Spiritus Paraclitus, 1920 c. Pope Pius XII, Encyclical Letter Promoting Biblical Studies, Divino Afflante Spiritu, 1943 d. same above: Human Generis (indirectly)

What am I missing?

1. Pontifical Biblical Commissions. Do these carry official teaching authority weight? If yes, how do I approach this ... Is there a list of critical pronouncements by the PBC?

2. Catechism

3. Any other sources of official catholic teaching on scripture?

[/quote]

Scripture is used in defining Catholic doctrines.

One way to find out if a particular scripture passage or verse is referenced by a Catholic teaching is to use the Index of Citations which starts on page 689 of the Catechism of the Catholic Church Second Edition. :D

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.