Catholic/Protestant Worship Music

(I had posted this is another thread but I think it kind of got lost in the conversation)

Some examples of the music I listen to on a regular basis :

Savior’s Here - Kari Jobe - youtube.com/watch?v=r37Tp11CzMU
I Need You To Love Me - Barlowgirl - youtube.com/watch?v=KOyNOzCGZ1c
Set The World On Fire - Britt Nicole - youtube.com/watch?v=rCUrDwPY97Q
Well Done - Moriah Peters - youtube.com/watch?v=y5A504HpmeY

And rockier stuff…

We Are All Foundlings - Royal Foundlings - youtube.com/watch?v=Yy2OB…S2uIFA&index=8
Lose My Soul - Tobymac - youtube.com/watch?v=coHKdhAZ9hU
Battle - Chris August - youtube.com/watch?v=AtzNecqxeSI
All He Says I Am - Gateway Worship - youtube.com/watch?v=wfFyqSkMiUw

Is there anything in those sorts of songs that specifically go against what the Catholic Church teaches?

I found a Catholic artist on a thread here, Donna Cori Gibson and I personally can’t see the difference between a song of hers like this : Way Of The Cross Station 1 - Behold The Man youtube.com/watch?v=TjQmpSVL8Vc : and the songs above.

Just avoid sola scriptura, sola fide, and anything like that. The music you posted was alright, since most of it is just general non-liturgical “devotion” or scripture based.

Read the lyrics and if you see anything contrary to the Faith, avoid the song.

Personally, I would stick to Catholic artists, but these songs have nothing outrageously heretical.

God Bless :signofcross::byzsoc:

Thank you! That’s taken a bit of my worries away! :harp:

Also, none of this is “worship” music as Catholics understand worship. For the Protestants, worship is prayer, praise and proclamation. But for Catholics, worship is the sacrifice of the Mass, and praise music is something suited to private devotion outside of Mass.

yes their is a distinktive difference between catholic massworship and protestant praise and worship celibration.

put a catholic in a worship and praise celabration and they don’t know how to act,

and put a protestant penecostal in a catholic mass – and they are amazed how solam and quiet it is…

and each has their demonination understanding of the “real presence of the Holy Spirit”-]/-]

i do find it interesting to watch people “bow” down to a piece of bread–

Nothing that would make a real difference. Enjoy!

There is one aspect of my Protestant upbringing I will never set aside and that is Southern Gospel music. It moves my soul and often moves my feet. But it always moves me closer to the Lord. Just a smidge off topic . . . :stuck_out_tongue:

David,
A good way of identifying music for worship is this:
1. Does the music glorfy God?
2. Does the music simply testify of MY relationship to God?

That’s an important distinction because one is for worship, and the other, while not intrinsically bad or evil, is not.
For that reason, Southern Gospel, CCM, Chistian Rock is not suitible for church music IMHO. Maybe your car CD player, but not for worship.
Many evangelical hymns, with a few exceptions, are testimonies to each other, and does not meet the strict definition of a “worship” song.
Now you bring up “Protestant worship music”. That cuts a wide loop. Which denonmination? Lutheran? Methodist? Presbyterian? There are many great hymns from mainline denominations that have been included in the last few decades for Catholic worship. Many of these great hymns give glory to God because that is it’s purpose. To worship.
“A Mighty Fortress is our God” might make more conservative Catholic go nuts, but it still meets the criteria of a worship song.

I guess I just meant anything that’s not explicitly Catholic. I’ve been listening to this stuff for years, and sure there are some bands that do songs don’t have any kind of ‘gospel messge’ or whatever in them, but I’ve looked at it like as ‘well, at least they aren’t singing about sleeping around’, a ‘clean version’ of what you hear on Pop radio.

I used to be really heavily into Country music, because i saw it as being ‘clean’ compared to eveything else. But at some point I started to get disillusioned with the singers, like when Carrie Underwood started demanding people not film her at concerts, and then went on to support gay marriage. I had really admired her for her faith before that, loved how she would thank God at all the awards shows and stuff but those thighs she started doing made me doubt whether she was sincere at all.
At some stage I figured out most of the songs weren’t ‘good for me’, and I really wasn’t in a happy place even though I was going to church online, listening to ‘ccm’ and praise music. I suppose in a way I was idolising the Country singers and their songs.

Sorry, kind of went off topic there…

I’ve tried to get my nieces into singers like Britt Nicole and away from the likes of Rihanna.

I like listening to these artists because their songs, in general, are about singing praises to God. I’ve always figured there’s nothing wrong with singing songs that have lyrics like ‘holy holy holy is the Lord God almighty, who was and is and is to come’.

Sorry, I have this tendency to ramble…

I have 3 kids, and when they’re in the car, K-LOVE is the only thing on the radio. :slight_smile:

One of my favourite songs lately has been Clear The Stage by Jimmy Needham :

Clear the stage and set the sound and lights ablaze

If that’s the measure you must take to crush the idols

Jerk the pews & all the decorations, too

Until the congregations few, then have revival

Tell your friends that this is where the party ends

Until you’re broken for your sins, you can’t be social

Then seek the Lord & wait for what He has in store

And know that great is your reward so just be hopeful

'Cause you can sing all you want to

Yes, you can sing all you want to

You can sing all you want to

And still get it wrong;
worship is more than a song

Take a break from all the plans that you have made

And sit at home alone and wait for God to whisper

Beg Him please to open up His mouth and speak

And pray for real upon your knees until they blister

Shine the light on every corner of your life

Until the pride and lust and lies are in the open

Then read the Word and put to test the things you’ve heard

Until your heart and soul are stirred and rocked and broken

We must not worship something that’s not even worth it

Clear the stage, make some space for the One who deserves it

Generalizations generally paint with a broad brush, and are often generally only somewhat true, generally speaking. :wink:

Jon

Could someone take the time to explain this to me. Isn’t “private devotion” also a form of “worship.” For that matter, isn’t public prayer, praise, and proclamation also “worship.” Perhaps I’m reading too much into this post, but it sounds like you’re saying that the only form of “worship” that is actually “worship” is a Catholic Mass, and somehow any other act of “worship” for some reason I can’t fathom should not be called “worship.”

I just want to know what “anointed” music is? Who anoints the music, and how do you know its anointed?

How about Elvis Presley, “I believe” is it anointed?:shrug:

Not so - Catholic worship is not limited to the mass. What about the Liturgy of the Hours which is supposed to be a central part of church’s liturgy (morning prayer, evening prayer and compline) and holy hour and devotional services which are non-Eucharistic but nevertheless part of Church’s worship life.

Besides, for most liturgical protestants, worship is much more than prayer and praise and the sacraments (as they understand them) form an important part of their services.

One final point - I saw a statistic somewhere that said that over 50% of Christian charismatics are actually Catholic.

I wonder if people being so scrupulous about avoiding songs with sola fide connotations avoid the abject apostasy of most pop music.

Generally, I agree.

GKC

There are no anointed songs, just anointed singers. :thumbsup:

Mass is just one form of worship in Catholicism albeit the highest form. Yes, there are many other forms of worship when we worship God. Even with our bodies, we can worship. Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship.(Rom 12:1)

Well, my friend, we generally agree, generally speaking. :smiley:

Jon

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.