Catholic resources in e-book format?

This is partly a question and partly a plea.

I love to read and have had an Amazon Kindle e-book reader for about a year now. One thing that has disappointed me is that there seem to be no modern Catholic editions of the Bible available in e-book format. Protestants have plenty of Bibles to choose from in e-book format, but the only Catholic Bible I’ve been able to find is the old Douay-Rheims version (which is in the public domain). I really wish the Jerusalem Bible, the New American Bible for Catholics, or even the Catholic version of the Living Bible were available as an e-book. Why have Catholic Bible publishers not taken advantage of this new medium for reaching the faithful?

I also would be delighted if the Catechism were available as an e-book.

There are some good Catholic resources already available in Kindle fornat, including Catholicism for Dummies and His Holiness’s book on Jesus. But two key resources - the Bible and the Catechism - are missing.

I have the Amazon Kindle app on my IPod Touch, and have been able to get some books there, too, which I love. But you’re right, they don’t have the Catechism or more current versions of the Bible in Kindle, but there is a Catechism app and a RSV Catholic Edition Bible app for Iphone/Ipod. There is even a Compendium to the Catechism app. You can even get the daily Breviary. So if you want to spend some bucks to get either an Iphone or an Ipod touch, you could carry it around that way. Also, any books you have on your Kindle would be synced when you download the Kindle app (which is free).

There are also some really amazing Catholic apps for Iphone/Ipod.

Mary

Thanks for the tip! I need to talk my wife into letting me borrow the iPod. :smiley:

Here is a great thread on the Forums that gave me a lot of good ideas about Ipod apps:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=283765&highlight=ipod+app

I have a Sony PRS 700 and they have a lot of Catholic eBooks.
http://ebookstore.sony.com/search?keyword=Catholic&page=1&perpage=10&sortDirection=0

Looks like someone has formatted the text of the Compendium of the Catechism (available at the Vatican website) for the Kindle:

fileden.com/files/2010/2/7/2752627/CompendiumCCC.prc

It displays beautifully on my Kindle 2 (not the large-screen DX).

If you don’t mind PDFs there are plenty here.

The Ignatius Press version of the RSV Catholic Edition is available for about $15.00. Search Kindel Books.

Frank
musingsofacatholic.org

Until the contemporary Catechism of the Catholic Church (2d ed. 1997) is made available for Kindle, just wanted to give folks a heads up about two recently added, authoritative teaching documents that are available in beautiful, Kindle-optimized format, for bargain prices. These editions correct hundreds of typographical and formatting errors that plague the other, public domain versions available for free online:

The Catechism of Saint Pius X (1908) is a concise Catechism written specifically for the laity by Pope Pius X (who was later canonized, and remains a favorite pope among traditionalist Catholics).

The Catechism of the Council of Trent (1566) was the teaching text commissioned by the Council of Trent, assembled under the guidance of St. Charles Borromeo, and published by order of Pope Pius V. This authoritative teaching resource for parish priests was the favored universal catechism for over 400 years, until promulgation of the Catechism of the Catholic Church in 1993. This version (w/ the maroon cover image) is FAR superior to the other, cover-less version available in the Kindle store (which was just a free public domain PDF uploaded directly to the Kindle service, and is rife with typos and terrible formatting).

Both of these are available for under $2 each, and are valuable additions to my Kindle theological library. I recommend them highly!

Lovely old catechisms. :)

And I also found this beautiful Kindle version of the Holy Father's catechesis on St. Paul from the Pauline Year:

Benedict XVI: St. Paul the Apostle

You can get the Catechism as a plain-text file from:

americancatholictruthsociety.com/docs/ccc.txt

I believe the Kindle can read plain-text files. If it cannot, you can convert the plain-text file to a .mobi file (which the Kindle can definitely read) using the instructions at cooltoolsforcatholics.blogspot.com/2010/12/how-to-get-catechism-of-catholic-church.html

Also there is an RSS feed for the Liturgy of the Hours (Breviary):

feeds2.feedburner.com/divineoffice

You could set up Calibre to download this daily to your Kindle.

This is what I do. You can go to the following link and download for free a software program that turns documents into a PDF document. Once it is installed, you just go to “print” and choose this program, and it will guide you through and save it where you tell it to save it.

primopdf.com/index.aspx

Once that is done, if you have a Kindle, you can email this document with the subject “convert” to [your email]@free.kindle.com Use the email associated with your Amazon account. Within a minute, you will have an email from Kindle with your converted document. Open the email, click on the link provided to your document, and you can save it and put it on your Kindle. I do this for all kinds of documents, and I just did it for the plain print edition of the Catechism. Works beautifully and all for free.

[quote="JonathanAquino, post:12, topic:164565"]
You can get the Catechism as a plain-text file from:

americancatholictruthsociety.com/docs/ccc.txt

[/quote]

On second thought, I am not sure if this file is being made available legally. The website does not mention that they have permission from the USCCB to make it available.

There's still no Kindle catechism

Plenty here
basilica.org/pages/ebooks.php

I have been talking to the USCCB about e-book formatted New American Bible and the Catechism of the Catholic Church. While they are behind the schedule that they gave me originally, they have assured me that they are working on them and that they will be out "soon". Peace and Blessings, Deacon Paul

Here is a site with audio books also.

Search page

catalog.librivox.org/

Some examples....

librivox.org/apologia-pro-vita-sua-by-john-henry-newman/

librivox.org/the-city-of-god-by-st-augustine-of-hippo/

[quote="frankp, post:8, topic:164565"]
The Ignatius Press version of the RSV Catholic Edition is available for about $15.00. Search Kindel Books.

Frank
musingsofacatholic.org

[/quote]

Awesome.. I was looking for this!! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.