Catholic response to James Kennedy’s EE?

James Kennedy’s “Evangelical Explosion” (EE) trains Evangelical Protestants to proselytize Catholics with these questions:“Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?”

And

“I would be interested in what you think the entrance requirements for anyone to get into heaven are. What would you say God’s requirements are for you to get into heaven?” What would you say is the correct Catholic response to these questions?

[quote=Matt16_18]James Kennedy’s “Evangelical Explosion” (EE) trains Evangelical Protestants to proselytize Catholics with these questions:“Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?”
[/quote]

My Faith!

And

“I would be interested in what you think the entrance requirements for anyone to get into heaven are. What would you say God’s requirements are for you to get into heaven?”

My Faith!

What would you say is the correct Catholic response to these questions?

FAITH!

Boy those are easy questions!

JMJ

“Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?”

If God did ask me that, I would say, you know more than I do about that. lol.

“I would be interested in what you think the entrance requirements for anyone to get into heaven are. What would you say God’s requirements are for you to get into heaven?”

If someone asked me that I would say…the normal requirements are baptism at the very least, and also a soul that is alive (ie not dead with sin, mortal sin) . But God’s mercy can’t be contained, and God’s Justice is infinite.

How do you know that your faith is a living faith that saves, and not a dead faith that has no saving power?a man is justified by works and not by faith alone
James 2:24

Good answer! :slight_smile: It shows that you haven’t presumed the mercy of God.

the normal requirements are baptism at the very least, and also a soul that is alive (ie not dead with sin, mortal sin)

Can there be any question that God will not damn a person that dies in a state of unrepentant mortal sin?

If an invincibly ignorant pagan dies without ever knowing the Gospel, is he necessarily damned because he never received the Sacrament of Baptism while he was alive on earth?

Why should He let us into His heaven? Because He wants everyone to be in heaven.

[quote=Matt16_18]James Kennedy’s “Evangelical Explosion” (EE) trains Evangelical Protestants to proselytize Catholics with these questions:“Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?”

And

“I would be interested in what you think the entrance requirements for anyone to get into heaven are. What would you say God’s requirements are for you to get into heaven?” What would you say is the correct Catholic response to these questions?
[/quote]

Matt 16:18,

This reminds me of the time I was teaching fifth grade CCD and was handing back a test. One of the kids asked me, “Did we pass?” I said, “This isn’t a pass-fail test. The pass-fail test comes when you die and God is asking you the questions. But you don’t have to worry, it will be the easiest test you ever take; if you don’t remember the answers, Jesus will be standing right beside you to remind you of them. All you have to do is live your life so that you will have the answers for Him to remind you of.”

If God asked me why He should let me into Heaven, I would tell Him that it is strictly because of His grace through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross.

I am taking advantage of His offer by faith–and this faith is (at least at this point in my life) showing itself in good works. But the Catholic Church has never taught, does not now teach, and will never teach that a person can earn his way into Heaven.

As another responder on this thread said, these are very easy questions.

• Liberian

[quote=Matt16_18]“Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?”
[/quote]

“Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.”

[quote=Matt16_18]“I would be interested in what you think the entrance requirements for anyone to get into heaven are. What would you say God’s requirements are for you to get into heaven?” What would you say is the correct Catholic response to these questions?
[/quote]

“God’s requirements for me to get into Heaven are to do everything I can to share the good news with you in order to make sure that you get there, too.” :wink:

He will not ask me that, Jesus has already indicated what will happen by his discription of the kingdom in Matthew 25:14-30.

14 "It will be as when a man who was going on a journey called in his servants and entrusted his possessions to them.
15 To one he gave five talents; to another, two; to a third, one–to each according to his ability. Then he went away. Immediately
16 the one who received five talents went and traded with them, and made another five.
17 Likewise, the one who received two made another two.
18 But the man who received one went off and dug a hole in the ground and buried his master’s money.
19 After a long time the master of those servants came back and settled accounts with them.
20 The one who had received five talents came forward bringing the additional five. He said, 'Master, you gave me five talents. See, I have made five more.'
21 His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master’s joy.'
22 (Then) the one who had received two talents also came forward and said, 'Master, you gave me two talents. See, I have made two more.'
23 His master said to him, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant. Since you were faithful in small matters, I will give you great responsibilities. Come, share your master’s joy.'
24 Then the one who had received the one talent came forward and said, 'Master, I knew you were a demanding person, harvesting where you did not plant and gathering where you did not scatter;
25 so out of fear I went off and buried your talent in the ground. Here it is back.'
26 His master said to him in reply, ‘You wicked, lazy servant! So you knew that I harvest where I did not plant and gather where I did not scatter?
27 Should you not then have put my money in the bank so that I could have got it back with interest on my return?
28 Now then! Take the talent from him and give it to the one with ten.
29 For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.
30 And throw this useless servant into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.’

Notice God asks what we have done ( :hmmm: that sounds alot like works) with the talents he has given us.

Beebs

I believe that I would respond by asking where in the bible does it say that we get a chance to bargin with God upon death. We don’t.

God knows my heart and mind and soul; He would not need to ask such questions. The EE seems to reduce God to some sort of game show host who wants ‘the right answer.’ My life is my answer to God’s call.

[quote=epr1993]Why should He let us into His heaven? Because He wants everyone to be in heaven.
[/quote]

So why doesn’t he let everyone into heaven?

[quote=Matt16_18]So why doesn’t he let everyone into heaven?
[/quote]

Because some people reject Him and His offer, and some people just don’t live up to it.

Good answer! “For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us ….” :gopray2:

I am taking advantage of His offer by faith–and this faith is (at least at this point in my life) showing itself in good works. But the Catholic Church has never taught, does not now teach, and will never teach that a person can earn his way into Heaven.

As another responder on this thread said, these are very easy questions.

I would say you aced the test. :wink:

What you have done with your life earns you a place in heaven?

[quote=Lazerlike42]Because some people reject Him and His offer, and some people just don’t live up to it.
[/quote]

What do you have to do to live up to the offer? Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?

[quote=deb1]I believe that I would respond by asking where in the bible does it say that we get a chance to bargin with God upon death. We don’t.
[/quote]

Assume that one is just an ordinary Catholic that isn’t trying to bargain with God, that she isn’t trying to sneak into heaven because she knows that she is in a state of unrepentant mortal sin.

How should the ordinary faithful Catholic answer the questions if she is confronted by a person trained in EE?

Do our good works earn us a place in Heaven?

[quote=Matt16_18]What do you have to do to live up to the offer? Suppose that you were to die tonight and stand before God and he were to say to you, ‘Why should I let you into my heaven?’ What would you say?
[/quote]

I don’t think I can answer that for a handful of reasons. First, God isn’t gonna do that based on all we know. Second, I’m not qualified to answer that, only God is. Third, contrary to popular belief judgment is not a matter or “getting in” or “not getting in.” The true nature of sin and salvation is much deeper and more profound than whether God lets you in or not. It’s so different that to talk about getting in or not is almost entirely incorrect. We only use that terminology because as human beings its easier to understand that way.

As far as what one has to do to live up to it, we have to keep Jesus’ commandments. Again, it goes much, much deeper than a simple test to see if we followed them or not. It’s actually a matter of what we have become over the course of our lives through our actions. The keeping of the commandments is a way of speaking about it. That being said, we have to keep them. That’s Jesus’ answer to the question. But how do we keep them? Only through Christ. Only through His Grace. Only our faith which we may have only through His Grace, working itself out in love, will allow us into Heaven.

Living up to God’s offer means to accept it on terms of faith and comply with all the requirements contained in it. God is like…

A Father and a child are at the store. The child asks the Father, “Father, if I clean my room will you buy me this toy?” The Father replies, “No son, I will not buy you that simply because you have done something. However, your birthday is going to come around, and I will give it to you as a gift if you will trust Me, and love Me, and listen to all that I say, and do what you are supposed to.”

We all have that birthday coming up, we call it death. We all have that toy, we call it Heaven. We can’t earn it, but we can lose it. If the child refused to listen to his Father, and did not do what His Father said, then the Father would not give the child the gift because the child would have earned it’s loss.

[quote=Matt16_18]Do our good works earn us a place in Heaven?
[/quote]

No, not in the way that we usually use the word earn. But when we use the word earn in the right way, then yes they do.

For example, (and this is Jimmy Akin’s), when a person goes onto an airflight, the stewardess may say, “Attention members of the frequent fliers club: you have just earned 5,000 miles!”

Of course those passengers didn’t by their own merits actually obtain for themselves those miles. They earned them because the airline offered them to people who did certain things.

God offers salvation to people who do certain things, not because the people are obtaining it for themselves, but because the people are following His agreement.

If you define earn as “obtain for oneself,” then no. If you define earn in the other sense, than yes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.