Catholic Saints

I’m just curious on the protestants views on Catholic saints, specially the miracles. Many many miracles have been performed by the saints and they all embraced the Catholic faith.

What do Protestants think of the saints?

As a protestant, I knew nothing of Catholic Saints. If I had known of them, I would have started investigating them and the Church sooner. I’m 36 years old and decided to convert in July 2003 and was received into the Church Easter Vigil 2004. The happiest day of my life!!!

WooHoo! Welcome home, even if it is a little late now.

I’m the same as Juliannarose. I am 41 years old, just started attending Mass in November. I was raised with a Protestant minister as my dad. Never did we hear anything about the saints, Mary or anything. I am longing to join and that hunger is getting more and more fierce.

Welcome! As you know, our Church is in great need of healing, and it is a grace of the Holy Spirit that you are seeking a deeper relationship with Christ. His Church will be forever incomplete without you. As far as inquiring into the faith, a great book to have handy is Catholicism for Dummies. It will answer many of the questions that you have about the faith and provide reassurance of the soundness of Catholic teaching. Again, welcome!

po18guy, Thank you! A friend also suggested the same book. I will get a copy when I can. Right now I’m working on The Rapture Trap by Paul Thigpen. I’ve read “Hail Holy Queen” by Scott Hahn, “The Lamb’s Supper” by Scott Hahn, Rediscover Catholicism and many more.

My goodness! You really caught the virus! The Dummies book is written by Fr. John Trigilio, PhD, ThD, and Fr. Kenneth Brighenti, PhD. It carriers both the nihil obstat and the Bishop’s Imprimatur, so it can actually be used as a catechism. Look for the updated, 2nd edition.

What about Protestants that have heard of the Catholic saints yet remain Protestants?

God bless,

I recently bought a Douay-Rheims bible on eBay. It turns out that the seller was protestant, and had recently left her congregation when her pastor told her that healing was a thing of the past. Our Lord said that God is God, not of the dead, but of the living (Matthew 22:32, Mark 12:27, Luke 20:38). The Saints are certainly not dead, but pastor’s faith seems to be.

I was hoping the Protestants in this forum would answer…

To any Protestant in this forum, what is your view regarding Catholic saints that have performed miracles?

God bless,

What Protestant denomination did you belong to?

Well, the Anglicans and the Lutherans revere the saints. The neo-Protestants such as the ‘non-denominational’ folks, tend not to.

As a former 17 year fundementalist (previously Catholic-now back) we must first look at the Protestant understanding of the word 'saints." “Saints” was a word that the apostle Paul used to reference the ‘everyday’ Christian of his time (according to fundamental hermenutics). The Protestant view is that the Catholic church took the word “saint” and made it apply to a special Christian.

Many Protestants would say we are all saints (if your a believer in Christ). Fortunately the Catholic church recognized special acts of a Christian or a life that was exemplorary. A Protestant would say a Catholic saint was an important person. But many writings of saints reference such things a purgatory or an elevated view of Mary which makes a Protestant quezy and not always interested in seeing the fullness of the person.

I don’t believe they attribute any miracle to a saint or to Mary. Some have even claimed it to be of the devil, which is startling. I am not 100% certain how the word saint came to mean a person to be venerated but I suspect the Catholic church pours a different biblical meaning into the usage of the word.

One would think that Calvinists would agree with the Catholic teaching on Saints, since one may not know if they are of the elect until they reside in heaven. By recognizing those in heaven, is not the Catholic Church making an example of those who persevered?

Yes, favorable.

There’s a handful on the stained glass.

Peter
Paul
Augustine
Columba
BVMary (although w/o a Saint “designation”) I know she is!

I don’t have issues personally.

I’ve read “The Story of a Soul” - - St Terese of Lisieux (I wish I had the conviction and belief and LOVE that she HAS).

Anticipating Blessed John Paul II to Sainthood. “Crossing the Threshold of Hope” is a good one. He was truly led by the Holy Spirit. (IMHO)

They’re our saints, too. :yup: :smiley:

From the Apology of the Augsburg Confession:

Our Confession approves honors to the saints. For here a threefold honor is to be approved. The first is thanksgiving. For we ought to give thanks to God because He has shown examples of mercy; because He has shown that He wishes to save men; because He has given teachers or other gifts to the Church. And these gifts, as they are the greatest, should be amplified, and the saints themselves should be praised, who have faithfully used these gifts, just as Christ praises faithful business-men, 5] Matt. 25:21, 23. The second service is the strengthening of our faith; when we see the denial forgiven Peter, we also are encouraged to believe the more that grace 6] truly superabounds over sin, Rom. 5:20. The third honor is the imitation, first, of faith, then of the other virtues, which every one should imitate according to his calling. 7] These true honors the adversaries do not require. They dispute only concerning invocation, which, even though it would have no danger, nevertheless is not necessary.

Jon

Great – thanks for your answer!

If you acknowledge Catholic saints have performed miracles through the power of God and at the same time believed in things such as the Eucharist etc. why do you continue to remain a Presbyterian?

God bless,

As an Anglican I recognize the Catholic and Orthodox saints. And I have no problem believeing God performed miracles through them. Many had the gift of preaching- like St Francis- and many had gifts of healing, etc. They are extraordinary Christians through whom God advanced His Church. There are people in the Protestant traditions that I believe were extraordinary believers as well. But I believe all Christians are saints, as the word means to set apart, and we are all set apart for Christ. But that does not mean that there are not those through whom God’s grace is seen in extraordinary measure. And there is no reason not to honor them and learn from their lives and example.

Like others have said here, I knew nothing of the Catholic Saints until I was Catholic. I knew nothing about their miracles or those that were preserved after death. Wish I had.

I know exactly what you mean, and had my pastor not lied to me about the Church I would have converted a long time ago.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.