Catholic Schooling

I am currently in RCIA and will officially come into the Church this Easter. I would like to hear some opinions from you all on enrolling my soon to be 10 year old daughter into Catholic school.

She will be just fine academically , what I know she will be "behind the curve" in is obviously Catholic religion and Christianity for that matter. I regretfully admit I have not did a great job of teaching, and letting her experience the greatness of religion. This I want to do soooo much now that I have came home and know how important it it. Everyone I talk to obviously says its never too late etc...which I truly believe as I am 36 and are just now entering a church of the first time.

What I am concerned with is her being a child and is so far behind the curve in the religion that she may feel uncomfortable etc. I am willing to do WHATEVER I need to do to make this more of a smooth transition for her but I also want her to lean the Catholic faith fully.

Hope that made some kind of sense.....

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks

First, make sure your child is okay with the move. You don't want to be taking her from a place where she has supportive friends just for a Catholic school. You can teach her, probably better, religion at home.

Secondly, be careful where you put her. Not all Catholic schools teach the authentic faith. Some of the smaller traditional schools have extremely uncharitable atmospheres. Do not expect much in the way of religion in the sense you are thinking. She will be fine, there. There are many children who are not Catholic who attend the schools.

A priest once told me that it is not where the child goes to school that is as important as being an authentic Catholic family. Immerse yourself in it. Find small Christian community (Catholic) so she is exposed to people of true faith. I think you'll be all right.

It is a difficult choice. Where I grew up there was at least one Catholic school in every town. It was not unlike picking a physician. Some have a better bed-side 'personality' than others. We changed to a school that was more academic as opposed to more sports centered. Unfortunately it is difficult to see their focus in less than a year. Also, the first school was run by very strict Irish nuns. As a kid, that was difficult.

Thank you for your responses,

She is fine with the move, the current public school has been going thru changes that the whole community is not happy with. Grading with q 1 - 4 system as opposed to the letter grades that have worked for 100 or so years, no more spelling words or tests either. There are tons more but long story short she is ok with the move.

We are going to visit with the principal and tour the school this Thursday to try to get a feel. I know some of the parents and children there now and have talked to them about the academics as well.

I just want her to feel welcomed and not afraid to ask questions I guess.

Thanks again for your responses and look forward to hearing more!

[quote="BullTaco, post:1, topic:234263"]
I am currently in RCIA and will officially come into the Church this Easter. I would like to hear some opinions from you all on enrolling my soon to be 10 year old daughter into Catholic school.

She will be just fine academically , what I know she will be "behind the curve" in is obviously Catholic religion and Christianity for that matter. I regretfully admit I have not did a great job of teaching, and letting her experience the greatness of religion. This I want to do soooo much now that I have came home and know how important it it. Everyone I talk to obviously says its never too late etc...which I truly believe as I am 36 and are just now entering a church of the first time.

What I am concerned with is her being a child and is so far behind the curve in the religion that she may feel uncomfortable etc. I am willing to do WHATEVER I need to do to make this more of a smooth transition for her but I also want her to lean the Catholic faith fully.

Hope that made some kind of sense.....

I look forward to hearing your opinions.

Thanks

[/quote]

WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!:thumbsup::dancing::extrahappy: As a "revert" who was away from the faith of my childhood for over 20 years, I am so happy for you!!!!

As for the school...Most Catholic schools if not all of them, have kids of faiths other than Catholic, even other than Christian, enrolled. These students take the Religion classes as just another class where they are expected to master the material. I would think that any school you find for your daughter will have at least a few other new students, and some of them might be of another faith, so also coming in "fresh" to the Catholic material.

I take it your daughter has not been baptized or attended church? There are books and programs you can obtain in order to start also teaching her. The good thing is that you can learn more about the faith together, and you will not be seen as the Expert on High but as her father who cares about her soul.

Just go visit the schools and pick the one that is most right for your family. Good luck and again, Welcome Home!!!!

The biggest factor in kids knowing and practicing the faith is how much of it they exposed to at home. If you haven't already, I would think about how you are incorporating the faith into your (and your daughter's) daily life. Do things like pray together before meals and before bed, read the Bible together, go out for lunch on Sunday and talk about what you heard at Mass. These kinds of things will help her learn the common prayers and many of the church's teachings in a natural setting.

As for helping her catch up, if you are looking for something a little more formal, you might consider working through an RCIA for kids or a sacramental catch up curriculum with her at home. (Has she been baptized? Catholic? Something else? Is she going to/ has she received other sacraments?) This could at least give her a pretty good understanding of the basics.

I'll also add, that schools are used to dealing with this kind of thing. They are used to dealing with kids in all kinds of places on their faith journey and I would imagine will have some suggestions on what would help her catch up and feel comfortable with her peers. :D

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:5, topic:234263"]
WELCOME HOME!!!!!!!:thumbsup::dancing::extrahappy: As a "revert" who was away from the faith of my childhood for over 20 years, I am so happy for you!!!!

As for the school...Most Catholic schools if not all of them, have kids of faiths other than Catholic, even other than Christian, enrolled. These students take the Religion classes as just another class where they are expected to master the material. I would think that any school you find for your daughter will have at least a few other new students, and some of them might be of another faith, so also coming in "fresh" to the Catholic material.

I take it your daughter has not been baptized or attended church? There are books and programs you can obtain in order to start also teaching her. The good thing is that you can learn more about the faith together, and you will not be seen as the Expert on High but as her father who cares about her soul.

Just go visit the schools and pick the one that is most right for your family. Good luck and again, Welcome Home!!!!

[/quote]

She has been baptized (Lutheran) when she was younger. Never really attended any Church to speak of.

I have dove head first and LOVE Catholicism and want to share it so much with my family.

My wife has not been on board at all, but I have prayed everyday for nine months that her heart will open up come home as well.....all I can say is that prayer is WONDERFUL!!!

She has not came full circle but it is a lot better than when I started my journey and it was actually her idea to enroll our daughter in a Catholic school for the upcoming year....I have lots of things to work on in my family but the reward is too great not to keep trying. The best thing I can do is to live the Faith and the rest is up to God.

Thank you so much for your comments, I am felling a little better already getting your all opinions.

Welcome home!

I would not worry about her being behind the curve. Most children who have been brought up in the faith are way behind the curve. Ask a 5th grader who our Holy Father is and he'll look at you like you grew a second head.

Place your child in the best school you can afford, or homeschool. Regardless of where she is, you are the primary educator of the faith.

If she is baptized in another faith (or not at all), she also needs to be in RCIA.

[quote="KarenElissa, post:6, topic:234263"]
The biggest factor in kids knowing and practicing the faith is how much of it they exposed to at home. If you haven't already, I would think about how you are incorporating the faith into your (and your daughter's) daily life. Do things like pray together before meals and before bed, read the Bible together, go out for lunch on Sunday and talk about what you heard at Mass. These kinds of things will help her learn the common prayers and many of the church's teachings in a natural setting.

As for helping her catch up, if you are looking for something a little more formal, you might consider working through an RCIA for kids or a sacramental catch up curriculum with her at home. (Has she been baptized? Catholic? Something else? Is she going to/ has she received other sacraments?) This could at least give her a pretty good understanding of the basics.

I'll also add, that schools are used to dealing with this kind of thing. They are used to dealing with kids in all kinds of places on their faith journey and I would imagine will have some suggestions on what would help her catch up and feel comfortable with her peers. :D

[/quote]

I have started to "teach" my daughter about Christianity at least. I have bought books that where on her level and read them with her. I am not currently taking her to mass with me either. I think I am still "learning" and just have really never thought about it actually. Good suggestion!

Thank you for your comments!

No one will like my answer.

I went to Catholic school from 6th grade-12th grade. I hated it. I was miserable, and it was the cause of strife between my parents and I. I became very bitter in my late teens/early twenties. I hated the church because of my experiences in school.

With maturity (I'm 30 years old now) I've noticed that alot of it was the school itself, not the fact it was Catholic. The majority of the famlies there were "nominal" Catholics, many non catholics, and some weren't sure and didn't care. The more "orthodox" Catholics (I can think of about 3 people in a school of 300) were teased the most. One was my best friend, and I still love her dearly to this day-and both of us had miserable experiences there.

Be careful-listen to your kids-they might be miserable there because it's really a terrible school.

[quote="BullTaco, post:9, topic:234263"]
I have started to "teach" my daughter about Christianity at least. I have bought books that where on her level and read them with her. I am not currently taking her to mass with me either. I think I am still "learning" and just have really never thought about it actually. Good suggestion!

Thank you for your comments!

[/quote]

I would really encourage you to start taking her to Mass. Not only is this a central component of our faith, but on the more practical side, I would think this would be the most likely place that she would feel out of place in a Catholic school. In religion class it will be easier to sit back and slowly learn, especially if her teacher is aware of the situation, but in Mass, she may feel more self conscious if she doesn't really know what is going on when "everyone" around her does. :D

She needs to be immersed in Catholicism. This in not the same as throwing her in the deep end of the Catholic pool in danger of drowning!

[LIST]
]Take her to Mass
*]Get her in Religious Education
*]Enroll in RCIA for Children
*]Get involved in youth activites/groups
*]Pray at home with her
*]Ask her questions about **her
* faith
*]Be a living example of Christ to her
[/LIST]

There are other things, I'm sure, but any and all of these will help her see the love and joy of the Catholic church!

americancatholic.org/Newsletters/CU/ac0998.asp

Want successful children......send them to catholic school.

Question…what diocese to you belong to in missouri?

[quote="maryj, post:14, topic:234263"]
Question....what diocese to you belong to in missouri?

[/quote]

Thank you again so much all of you for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it.

Immaculate Conception in Jackson Missouri.

[quote="ctkrcia, post:12, topic:234263"]
She needs to be immersed in Catholicism. This in not the same as throwing her in the deep end of the Catholic pool in danger of drowning!

[LIST]
]Take her to Mass
*]Get her in Religious Education
*]Enroll in RCIA for Children
*]Get involved in youth activites/groups
*]Pray at home with her
*]Ask her questions about **her
* faith
*]Be a living example of Christ to her
[/LIST]

There are other things, I'm sure, but any and all of these will help her see the love and joy of the Catholic church!

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.