Catholic schools determine how to take part in ALS fundraising effort

Catholic schools determine how to take part in ALS fundraising effort bit.ly/1tRQJr8

My bishop, Bishop Charles Thompson, spoke out against the Ice Bucket Challenge because the donations could go to fund embryonic stem cell research. He was also concerned about the wasting of water when there are many places in the world that don’t even have clean water to drink. I stand with him.

That said, I’d see nothing wrong with doing the Ice Bucket Challenge so long as the donations do not go to any organization that does embryonic stem cell research.

I agree about the stem cell objection, but “wasting” a few buckets of water for a charitable cause? I guess I should stop washing the car, watering the flowers, and letting kids run around under the lawn sprinkler on a hot day!

How about just donating money to a morally upstanding medical research effort?

Not as flashy, but probably more effective than a “look at ME” campaign.

So, if I understand correctly, the Church isn’t opposed to the Ice Bucket Challenge or to raising money to fight ALS. The objection is donating to the ALS Association, which currently funds one embryonic stem cell research project and which may fund similar research.

The bishops, including Bishop Charles Thompson of the Diocese of Evansville, recommend donating to other ALS charities, such as the John Paul II Medical Research Institute, which will not conduct ESC research.

It should be noted, however, that Bishop Thompson “will not approve participation in the Ice Bucket Challenge as it currently occurs.” Still, there is reason to think that the moral objections are easy to remedy.

how about instead of ALS, they do…a food kitchen run by the diocese? A homeless shelter? A maternity home for pregnant women? there are other charities that are just as worthy and don’t have the moral implications that could happen through EStemCell research.

:confused: More effective than 88.5 mil? ALSA raised a little over 88 million versus the one million plus during the same time last year. And the bucket challenge didn’t even originate with ALSA and no one is obligated to donate to them or anybody. I’m one of those excited about the both awareness and support, which hasn’t happened on this scale, ever.

So 88.5 million was raised to support embryonic stem cell research. Whoopie.

As far as effective, it’s always better to follow the teaching of Christ than to oppose it:

Matthew 6

[2] Therefore when thou dost an almsdeed, sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be honoured by men. Amen I say to you, they have received their reward.
[3] But when thou dost alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doth.
[4] That thy alms may be in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret will repay thee.

The money was not raised to support embryonic stem cell research. It was raised to fight ALS.

The point BruisedReed made is that the money which is raised does not have to go to an ALS organization which conducts ESC research. This is consistent with the views of the bishops who were cited in the news article mentioned in the first post.

The 88.5 million dollars is a startlingly large increase in donations, compared to previous years. Sometimes a stunt such as the Ice Bucket Challenge is necessary to grab people’s attention…

[

](“http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/statement-on-stemcell-research.html”)

The ALS Association primarily funds adult stem cell research.[

](“http://www.alsa.org/news/media/press-releases/statement-on-stemcell-research.html”)

Any reason why you didn’t print the rest? You certainly saw it:

Currently, The Association is funding one study using embryonic stem cells (ESC), and the stem cell line was established many years ago under ethical guidelines set by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS)

Maybe this lack of bioethical concern is the reason why the Archdiocese of St Louis, the Archdiocese of Cincinnati, the Archdiocese of Newark, the Archdiocese of Chicago, the Archdiocese of New Orleans, the Diocese of Lincoln, the Diocese of Richmond, and more have cautioned the Faithful against participating in the Ice Bucket Challenge.

The obtaining of stem cells from a living human embryo, on the other hand, invariably causes the death of the embryo and is consequently gravely illicit: “research, in such cases, irrespective of efficacious therapeutic results, is not truly at the service of humanity. In fact, this research advances through the suppression of human lives that are equal in dignity to the lives of other human individuals and to the lives of the researchers themselves. History itself has condemned such a science in the past and will condemn it in the future, not only because it lacks the light of God but also because it lacks humanity”
[RIGHT]- CDF, Instruction Dignitas Personae, 32[/RIGHT]

Leaving aside the embryonic stem cell research issue, you still have yet to deal with the narcissism issue. “Look at ME”

And, frankly, for me that is almost as big a concern for Catholic Schools as the embryonic stem cell issue.

Dear Bruised Reed,

“Adult” stem cell research can mean “stem cells from dead babies” just as much as “embryonic” does.

The Top 6 Things You Need to Know about ALS Research

1. So Adult Stem Cell research is ethical, right?

Not so fast. Most of adult stem cell research is ethical and shows very encouraging results to cure neurological diseases. However the word “adult” in stem cell research is used to describe the age of the cell not the age of the person its is taken from. Therefore, adult stem cells can also be used to describe cells taken from an aborted child.

closed #13

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.