Catholic Schools

1 - How do you know the school is helping youir child’s spiritual developments?

2 - What evidence do you see of this in your child’sdaily living?

3 - How does belonging to this Catholic school communitity influence your family life?

4 - What are the strengths of the school that can be attributed to the Catholic Special Character?

Whats your thoughts

[quote="StBrenda, post:1, topic:190663"]
1 - How do you know the school is helping youir child's spiritual developments?

2 - What evidence do you see of this in your child'sdaily living?

3 - How does belonging to this Catholic school communitity influence your family life?

4 - What are the strengths of the school that can be attributed to the Catholic Special Character?

Whats your thoughts

[/quote]

1. She askes me tons of questions about the faith, and how it pertains to everyday life. She is thinking with her Catholic glasses on in a way, she asks about abortion and why does Obama believe in abortion, why do people dress a certain immodest way, why do people use curse words, etc, etc.

2. She is likes to watch some programs on EWTN. (not all, some are boring to a 10 year old, but she loves Life on the Rock.)

3. Well, we may be a "private school" as far as our community is concerned but I don't think any family is "rich" and doesn't sacrifice to send their kids to our parish school. We do anything we can to keep our school open, only one of two left in our county. So its a branch of an extended family. We celebrate and grieve for each other when its warranted.

4. We sacrifice for each other. Anytime someone needs anything, be it babysitting or even clothes or food due to some unplanned emergency, it will go down the line as discretely as possible if it needs to be.

[quote="StBrenda, post:1, topic:190663"]
1 - How do you know the school is helping youir child's spiritual developments?

2 - What evidence do you see of this in your child'sdaily living?

Whats your thoughts

[/quote]

1. and 2. My children talk about devotion, sacrifice, suffering, prayer, charity, forgiveness, sin, etc., etc., on a daily basis, as if it were part of their day (because it is) at school. It's been woven into their day. Their faith has been shared and discusses in many different ways at many different times.

2. Belonging to the Catholic school community is most helpful to us because it provides back up. What I am saying is repeated and reinforced at school. I can assure you it is most helpful. When I have a discussion with one of my kids and they are not quite seeing my point or don't want to see my point, they will often admit that they have been taught the same at school. Many, many times, especially with our soon to be 13 year old son, the teaching from the school has made all the difference in convincing him that what we are saying at home is in fact the truth.

My kids will also come home with some stories that I had just never heard myself, mostly some obscure Saint story. Or what they are going over in class will remind me of something I had forgotten about.

1. I am not sure what you mean by Catholic special character? I like that the teachers at the school do not need to "stop short" when it comes to explaining something through the Catholic view. How does one teach "character education" without mentioning God? Don't have to at a Catholic school.... Is that what you mean?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.