Catholic seminary enrollment up, but numbers seen as only part of story

kinda of an old story 2 weeks old, I'm sure its been on this site but not on this board.

but anyway its very vocation based.

WASHINGTON (CNS) -- In his first months as rector of Theological College in Washington, Father Phillip J. Brown has been confronting a problem that the national diocesan seminary for the U.S. Catholic Church "has not had for a long time" -- it is bursting at the seams.

Enrollment is maxed out for the 2011-12 academic year at 90 seminarians. Five of those seminarians are back in their dioceses this year gaining pastoral experience, but a Sulpician seminarian and five priests from other countries also live there, bringing the total number of residents to 91 plus faculty members.

this is just one example of many across the country, the seminary I attend current number of seminarians is at 80, I think that's been higher then it has been in the past. They even have a handful of guys living in the monastery instead of the main student dorm rooms. Pretty awesome.

but I think this is an exciting time for the church, because in the next 10 years we will see in many parts of the country a influx of new priest. these priest won't just be priest who fill parishes, and don't set the fire on that much. These priest will set the church on fire for the holy spirit and I think it will bring new life to the church stuff we haven't seen in a while.

Its exciting to thing that we have this many great semarinains and they are some of the best we have seen in a long time.

The Main reason I post this is I think this will be a reversing trend in what we have seen over the last few generations, a declining number of people involved in the faith, all faiths really, I think these new priests will reverse this trend, and we will see an influx of new Catholics come in.

Maybe its to early to call this but I think there could be a new spring time for the church coming up. The last two popes have been awesome, just like all popes I'm sure lol. But its this young generation that will really set a fire under this church.

I hope you people see the same thing I am seeing because it is exciting

alright I'm done with my little rant.

[quote="catholictiger, post:1, topic:266247"]
kinda of an old story 2 weeks old, I'm sure its been on this site but not on this board.

but anyway its very vocation based.

this is just one example of many across the country, the seminary I attend current number of seminarians is at 80, I think that's been higher then it has been in the past. They even have a handful of guys living in the monastery instead of the main student dorm rooms. Pretty awesome.

but I think this is an exciting time for the church, because in the next 10 years we will see in many parts of the country a influx of new priest. these priest won't just be priest who fill parishes, and don't set the fire on that much. These priest will set the church on fire for the holy spirit and I think it will bring new life to the church stuff we haven't seen in a while.

Its exciting to thing that we have this many great semarinains and they are some of the best we have seen in a long time.

The Main reason I post this is I think this will be a reversing trend in what we have seen over the last few generations, a declining number of people involved in the faith, all faiths really, I think these new priests will reverse this trend, and we will see an influx of new Catholics come in.

Maybe its to early to call this but I think there could be a new spring time for the church coming up. The last two popes have been awesome, just like all popes I'm sure lol. But its this young generation that will really set a fire under this church.

I hope you people see the same thing I am seeing because it is exciting

alright I'm done with my little rant.

[/quote]

awesome sauce! I do agree with you on this-- that the new generation of priests coming in will help stabilize the RCC in america. I expect that catechesis will increase dramatically-- and GOOD catechesis at that! My dad even told me a month or two ago, there's been this trend in the younger Catholics in western Europe fighting for a more widespread TLM. Let's hope Pope Benedict has got another decade left in him! It is by the grace of God that we received him as the Pope. I also think as we reconcile more with the Orthodox churches (and gain more eastern Catholic churches), we'll see a massive deal of conversion from non-christian eastern religions as evangelism increases. I have a feeling that we'll have some solid reconciliation with the Anglican churches as well. I can see this generation as setting up for the next 200 years.

And we can acknowledge

...programs which have helped teens grow in faith.....

Please thank a Lifeteen near you!!!!

These are my exact thought's. I feel called to the seminary, and although I am typically a quiet person, I have so much zeal for the faith. I will continue to pray for our seminarians and priest's. And those who will be ordained in the near future

Things certainly look better in many ways for the Church, on many fronts! Let us not forget Our Lady of Fatima's warnings, though - be vigilant, prayer regularly the Rosary, spread devotion to Our Lady, and ensure we live our lives and do all things through the Holy Mother of God for Our Lord. Let us not be caught by the thief in the night - remember what happened the last time people talked about "springtime" and "aggiornomiento".

Not to be a negative Nancy, just be careful! :)

And yes - Deo Gratias for Our Holy Father Benedict XVI! Viva el Papa!

While this is a great trend there are two other numbers that I think are more important.

The numbers of men being ordained and the number of men who have persevered in their callings after 5 years.

I would also be interested in knowing the numbers of entries into religious life.

[quote="ByzCath, post:6, topic:266247"]
While this is a great trend there are two other numbers that I think are more important.

The numbers of men being ordained and the number of men who have persevered in their callings after 5 years.

I would also be interested in knowing the numbers of entries into religious life.

[/quote]

these are important as well, I'm sure with this increasing trend will lead to those other increasing trends.

also due to personal experince they are getting a lot more strict in their formation, so hopefully this will help weed out the problem candidates and those who may not have a calling.

see its part of the Churches Job to select its priests, its no just up to the person to decide if he is called or not.

[quote="catholictiger, post:7, topic:266247"]
these are important as well, I'm sure with this increasing trend will lead to those other increasing trends.

also due to personal experince they are getting a lot more strict in their formation, so hopefully this will help weed out the problem candidates and those who may not have a calling.

see its part of the Churches Job to select its priests, its no just up to the person to decide if he is called or not.

[/quote]

Even if there are some that discern they don't have a religious vocation, all the attention being drawn to the seminaries and priories might be the outreach that those who do have a vocation, but are unaware, do in fact need. And even those who drop out are just an added count of faithful and educated Catholics (which we do well need for evangelization, and therefore vocations, to begin with).

I am interested, as brother David, to see the numbers on ordinations, etc.

Peace and Blessings,
Anthony

[quote="Anthony_V, post:8, topic:266247"]
Even if there are some that discern they don't have a religious vocation, all the attention being drawn to the seminaries and priories might be the outreach that those who do have a vocation, but are unaware, do in fact need. And even those who drop out are just an added count of faithful and educated Catholics (which we do well need for evangelization, and therefore vocations, to begin with).

I am interested, as brother David, to see the numbers on ordinations, etc.

Peace and Blessings,
Anthony

[/quote]

yep the education of seminarians are pretty extensive, and those who drop out early are usually very educated.

two of my teachers at seminary are ex seminarians

I have a really good smart friend in terms of the faith who was in seminary now teaching at a Catholic High School

along with maybe one or two others.

[quote="catholictiger, post:9, topic:266247"]
yep the education of seminarians are pretty extensive, and those who drop out early are usually very educated.

two of my teachers at seminary are ex seminarians

I have a really good smart friend in terms of the faith who was in seminary now teaching at a Catholic High School

along with maybe one or two others.

[/quote]

Also, congratulations to yourself on enrollment!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.