Catholic Sexuality: Is sex only for procreation?

I have heard that, in church history, sex was ONLY for procreation, that once women pass their child-bearing years, sex is no longer done

Was this at one time a church teaching?
Is it still that way?

No, sex is always allowed and encouraged to strenghten closeness as well as procreation. Procreation is the primary but not only affect of sexual relationships with one’s spouse.

so that was NEVER a church teaching?
are you sure?

I suggest you read the Catechism and Theology of the Body by Pope John Paul II. Both are available for free online.

How can you be 100% sure of when the child-bearing years have passed? Interrupting sexual relationships because of an assumption might indicate that the person is not fully open to reproduction.

I know a guy that according to his mother is the child of “menopause”:smiley:

I would assume when a woman goes through menopause, having children is no longer possible

just had heard that it might have been a chuch teaching centuries ago. if it’s not, just be honest and let me know

Grace and Peace muckraker45,

Would you think that St. Elizabeth, the Mother of John the Baptist, or St. Anne, the Mother of Our Blessed Virgin Mary, or even the Blessed Sarah, the Mother of Isaac, were ‘beyond’ the normal period of child-bearing? If so, do you think the Church would teach that these individuals are examples of sinful behavior? I, personally, don’t think so.

It is quite impossible to show that it is NOT a Church teaching. I think that it would be more effective to ask if anyone can prove that it is a Church teaching.

I was going to reference St. Elizabeth, but, since she was Jewish, I didn’t thing that would apply.

To tell you the truth, that always kinda weirded me out once I realized, “Wait a minute…if they are beyond the childbearing years…WHY ARE THEY STILL HAVING SEX!!!..What kind of holy Book IS this!!! How dare a married couple show their love for one another!!!..oh no…they’re probably not the first and probably wont be the last…”

he he he Yes, of course, there were ermitic and cenobitic traditions in Christianity that stressed the repression of eros because it was associated with the passions but such extremes doesn’t appear to be the consensual teaching of the Church. I’m sure Muckracker45 could focus narrowly on the teachings of some within the Church to argue his/her point but I would return that a thorough investigation would reveal what the Church already teaches… one that is temperate.

I think it is likely that specific priests, in specific places and times (hopefully past), and through either an excess of zeal or poor formation, have made statements to individuals along these lines. I have seen postings here that said Fr. X stated that relations were no longer permitted after a hysterectomy, for example. Similarly, certain religious or cultural communities may have harbored particularly strict teachings along these lines. So I think that some individuals may in fact have heard such things and thought, through no fault of their own, that they were the teaching of the Universal Church.

I can attest to the fact that a priest in our parish at one time preached the “sex is for procreation only” line, among other fallacies. (This was mild compared to other things he ranted about.) He was so off the mark in his outrageous pronouncements that his faculties were ultimately suspended. Unfortunately, he still has a website and has occasionally been cited even on these forums.

Please read this:

vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s2c2a6.htm

Peace,
Ed

That’s how we got Limbo and no salvation for those not being signed up Catholics as teachings of the Church. My Lutheran dad was bound for hell. Sister said, :shrug:

Catholics view sex and giving your body completely to your spouse, just like the way Jesus gave His body completely for His Bride/The Church. (And that’s why Catholics don’t allow contraception.)

CASTI CONNUBII

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.