Catholic southern gospel?

are any catholic quartets/soloists in the southern gospel genre?:)

I don't think you will find many --some, yes-- but not many people like this. It is not allowed in our liturgy, and if it is being sung in our liturgy iti s a major abuse. As for me, no. Sorry my friend.

For years as an evangelical I nodded…smiled…clapped…and…LIED THROUGH MY TEETH!
I can no longer hold back…I must confess…

I despise Southern Gospel music.

There, I said it.

Every song sounds alike, the lyrics are childish and shallow. The musicians go through the most bizarre gyrations, hand motions, and facial expressions singing (just mute it and watch sometime).

Whew! I feel better now!
:D:D:D

Ummmm, there is nothing in the documents that forbid voices singing 4 part harmony from liturgy. If there is, please, by all means post the link.

As long as the song lyrics are approved for liturgy, harmonizing voices is far more appropriate for Mass than kumbuyah guitars and horrid songs like “Gather Us In”. You tell me, wouldn’t you rather hear this as a processional than some of the banal stuff that is in that green book?

youtube.com/watch?v=VYQOfBWXjKk&feature=related

youtube.com/watch?v=UwLyv3_rIL4&feature=related

I’m going to take a stab at it and say it’s not forbidden, because I’ve sang as part of 4 part harmonies in the Mass. When we’d have mass at our high school, the choir would always sing the songs. In 2-4 part harmonies, consisting of about 60 people (not a real good split at 20 guys:40 girls though).

We were also pretty randomly invited to be the choir when we went for Sunday Mass on a music trip to Ottawa. We sang Bibel’s Ave Maria (which is the actual Ave Maria prayer), which off the top of my head is a 4-5 part harmony with a 3 part descant line. It was St. Patrick’s Basilica where we were. Absolutely beautiful. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

As part of Good Friday mass last year (as part of a different group of people), we sang in an A Capella 4 part harmony.

I have to admit, I do like the song “Gather Us In” though too :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.