Catholic...spiritism?

Hey-

A protestant I know went on a mission to Brazil. She was trying to attack the Catholic church because down there she said the Catholics were bringing in Paganism and Spiritism. Saying that she saw “Catholics” sacrificing squirrels and whatnot and kneeling down in a park, and that when she went in the church to preach, they had incorporated some of it into the Mass.

I sat there with my mouth open to say the least.

If it is true or just slander I do not know. Maybe someone has heard of this before? How do I respond to this?

Adam

Tell him that this is not what the Church teaches. There are many things being done here in the Philippines that would make one think these are approved by the Church–they are not. By explaining to him what the Church actually teaches vs. what people practice–what we term here as folk Catholicism–then he’d have a better understanding on the teachings of the Church.

But the arguement comes in…if the Catholic church is correct and the gates of hell will not prevail…why are they doing this?

Kinda see what I mean?

It is hard to convince her Catholics are correct when she has this notion of “anything goes” so to speak.

[quote=Unfinished]But the arguement comes in…if the Catholic church is correct and the gates of hell will not prevail…why are they doing this?
[/quote]

The same principle that one would apply thus: Catholics also sin; does that mean the gates of hell prevailed? Point to her that these are not Catholic approved practices. Then you can explain to her why the gates of hell have not prevailed–if it did, then the Church would’ve approved these things.

Ah. Yes. Thanks :smiley:

[quote=Unfinished]But the arguement comes in…if the Catholic church is correct and the gates of hell will not prevail…why are they doing this?

Kinda see what I mean?

It is hard to convince her Catholics are correct when she has this notion of “anything goes” so to speak.
[/quote]

Perhaps point out to her the letters to the 7 churches in Revelation, as well as some of the epistles, where area churches are corrected. By her reasoning, this would be proof that all of Christianity was false and “anything goes”. Yet, we understand it to mean that, while the gates of hell won’t prevail against the Church or its teachings, certain churches and, unfortunately, certain parts of the world might fall into error. They have stopped listening to the teachings of the Church (or have not been informed of them properly).

closed #7

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.